Knots?????

Angry51

Hi all,

Don't do a lot of fishing, mostly into crabbing.:no:

Have a lot of trouble joining braid to fluro/mono.

Tried heaps to do FG knot, but can't do it without looking at video or diagram, so have gone

to uni knot, seems to work for me, does anyone have a preference on these knots. 

I was sort of bought up in the mono days.:3_grin:

Or should I stick to what works for me, mostly only fish for whiting/bream/ flatties while waiting for pots.

Not into big pullers like reef fish.:21_kissing_closed_eyes:

Be good.

Gary

I used to do Uni-to-uni, then went to slim beauty to get something that played nicer with guides. Have since switched to the FG Knot, which is superior in every way. I don't even hear or feel it go through the guides ('slim beauty' still clunked through due to the double overhand / figure 8 knot in the leader) and is far superior in breaking strengths.

As always, practice, practice, practice! Which way are you trying to do the FG? There are a few ways shown in videos to tie the FG knot but they all accomplish the same thing.

9 hours ago, Terry H said:

I used to do Uni-to-uni, then went to slim beauty to get something that played nicer with guides. Have since switched to the FG Knot, which is superior in every way. I don't even hear or feel it go through the guides ('slim beauty' still clunked through due to the double overhand / figure 8 knot in the leader) and is far superior in breaking strengths.

As always, practice, practice, practice! Which way are you trying to do the FG? There are a few ways shown in videos to tie the FG knot but they all accomplish the same thing.

Thanks for your reply, I just follow a few of the utube ones.

Probably just dont do enuf practice, will have to try harder, thanks.

Gary

I tied double unis for years, and have never had a knot let go. It's an easy knot and works. The only downfall is that it's a little chunky going through your guides. I have since switched to the FG and have found the more you do, the easier it is. I'm still amazed that it works, but it does, and goes through your guides beautiful.

I found this the best video for learning the FG knot: Big Angry Fish FG knot

Also don't believe the hype, that braid is the absolute best. I still use mono for bread and butters, and have no trouble catching them. Braid has it's place and so does mono.

I'd have to suggest going with braid for small fish like bream, whiting and flatties as you get the finite sensitivity with braid and you will be able to cast further. If you really don't want to spend too much money just go on ebay and buy some cheap light braid. I may not be a thin as more expensive braids but it'll be fine for you what you're after. I think I bought some Sea Lion braid quite a few years ago and it was pretty good stuff for the price.

1 hour ago, fifis101 said:

This is the method I found to be the best way to tie the FG knot. I prefer it as it keeps the knot tight(er) as you tie it compared to other methods.

https://youtu.be/pjzUb5QRKuk

Thanks for the link, thats the video I use.

All I can think of is I'm not doing the over under properly,

Bit ( lot more ) pratice required.:frantics:

Will work on it, thanks.

Gary

Hi Gary

I am another convert to the FG knot after using the double uni for some time. I use 6lb Nanofil and 8lb flourocarbon and find this to be the best method (especially for light line)

Practice makes perfect. Took me a fair few times to perfect it but now I can tie one in my kayak in a howling wind, in the dark while capsized, upside down underwater*

As most have pointed out above, other knots just don't compare to the FG on both strength and ease through the guides (Which means longer casts, less wind knots and less friction = less having to retie)

Good luck with it mate

* May or may not be entirely true

• 3 weeks later...

I use the FG knot I had many failed attempts but it is just practise practise practise I seem to be able to tie them now with ease. the only variable that I use is I keep the braid taut by wrapping it around my feet and then over the top of my knees so I have freed up my hands to tie the knot it 

On 3/21/2017 at 2:50 PM, fifis101 said:

This is the method I found to be the best way to tie the FG knot. I prefer it as it keeps the knot tight(er) as you tie it compared to other methods.

Im with Fifs101. I like to get the braid to bight into the mono all the way through the knot.

On 3/18/2017 at 6:33 PM, Angry51 said:

Tried heaps to do FG knot, but can't do it without looking at video or diagram, so have gone

I only use FG now. Uni to Uni does the clunky thing through the guides and i wonder each cast what that bumping on the guides is doing to weaken the line.

On 3/22/2017 at 8:22 AM, patrick3331 said:

I use the Albright knot because i find it quite easy to tie. Is it a strong enough knot? Or should i change?

If you know the knot and its working for you then I don't think its that important to change. Saying that the FG knot has proven time and again to be a better knot. 

This is a link to a page that does a comparison on 3 different knots including Albright and FG.

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/albright-vs-alberto-vs-fg-knot/

I now only tie FG and have gotten pretty fast at it. Saying that when the light is dropping and I bust off you might see me tie my lures directly onto the braid... but don't tell anyone they wont understand... :)

5 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I only use FG now. Uni to Uni does the clunky thing through the guides and i wonder each cast what that bumping on the guides is doing to weaken the line.

Never mind the line, what's it doing to the guides? Guides aren't cheap, well on some rods they're not. 

Love the FG. Gives you that piece of mind like a wind on does on the bigger gear. Has to be a tight knot though. 

I sat down every evening and perfected it. I can tie it without thinking now, and quickly. 

Tip. If your kids are harassing you while you practise then use that as a simulator for being out in choppy conditions. 

Archived