Bream Rod & Reel Suggestions - Deep Water Bend Breaming

Hi Guys,

Looking to get a second rod and reel for some fishing at Deep Water Bend. Generally use frozen prawns and catch bream (PB 31cm). Budget is up to $150 but could stretch to $200. 

Should I try a 1-3kg rod and 1000 reel? Or is that too light? 

My other rod is a sonic pro with a sienna 2500 with braid down to an FC leader. 

Thanks.

Lex

2 minutes ago, Cmaltby said:

2500 and 6lb braid1-3kg rod. Just keep your eye out at bcf they have deals regularly on them if they're not on sale wait a couple of weeks 

Ok great. Thanks Cmaltby. 

Interested to see if there are any other rod/reel recommendations... be nice to check a few out and compare. 

Hey mate

depends what youd want to target. if it is another bream setup then a 1000 size reel with a 1-3kg rod will be great.

Im a massive advocate for the shimano sienna, great reel with a lot of capability.

It may sound silly, but scope out a few kmart stores for them too, ive seen sienna combos in bargain bins for $40-$60 in the past year

I have a sienna too, great reals, mine is paired with a sonic pro and have found them to be a cheap and effective combo. I caught a 60cm barra on it using 2kg mono. You can try the Ian Miller Raider rods(I have a few of these also), which are little more expensive, but should still keep you in budget. For the money they're not too bad either, but I don't think they're worth more than the sonic pros. There are better rods out there(and worse), but in the budget you're aiming at I'd stick to these.

6 minutes ago, Tybo said:

I have a sienna too, great reals, mine is paired with a sonic pro and have found them to be a cheap and effective combo. I caught a 60cm barra on it using 2kg mono. You can try the Ian Miller Raider rods(I have a few of these also), which are little more expensive, but should still keep you in budget. For the money they're not too bad either, but I don't think they're worth more than the sonic pros. There are better rods out there(and worse), but in the budget you're aiming at I'd stick to these.

Thanks Tybo. I like the Sonic pro I have but will have a look at the Raider too.

Appreciate the suggestions.

1 hour ago, christophagus said:

Hey mate

depends what youd want to target. if it is another bream setup then a 1000 size reel with a 1-3kg rod will be great.

Im a massive advocate for the shimano sienna, great reel with a lot of capability.

It may sound silly, but scope out a few kmart stores for them too, ive seen sienna combos in bargain bins for $40-$60 in the past year

Since reading about this a few times on here I started checking Kmart but all of my local stores only stock Jarvis Walker now and I can't seem to find anything Shimano on their online store either so maybe their contract is up or something? 

1 hour ago, Milpool said:

Since reading about this a few times on here I started checking Kmart but all of my local stores only stock Jarvis Walker now and I can't seem to find anything Shimano on their online store either so maybe their contract is up or something? 

Try BigW as well. They often have Shimano gear in their 'ET' range.

In my humble opinion - stick with the 1000 that you had planned. I think it's one of the quickest ways to learn how to best fight a fish when you are under-gunned. you'll learn to play a fish better, trust your knots more and finesse your approach.

Spend the most you can on the reel as that will last you longer and perform better. Both in longevity and in performance. My pick of the purchase is the old model Symetre. Currently going for $99 at anaconda as a clearout. This is a great reel that will last and perform much better than the Sienna.

For the rod - keep an eye out on 2nd hand rods that are being sold for $100 or if you are really after a rod asap i'd go the Pflueger trions currently on sale at the same store for $100. I've found the veritas to just be a bit too thick in the blank for my liking. A light rod just feels funny and too heavy when its so thick.

That does push your budget a bit since you still need to buy line.

In summary - I think stick with the 1000, buy the best reel you can with the money and then keep an eye out for good rods for sale. They come relatively regularly through different forums and even through stores.

On 24/03/2017 at 4:15 PM, Do$tylz said:

In my humble opinion - stick with the 1000 that you had planned. I think it's one of the quickest ways to learn how to best fight a fish when you are under-gunned. you'll learn to play a fish better, trust your knots more and finesse your approach.

Spend the most you can on the reel as that will last you longer and perform better. Both in longevity and in performance. My pick of the purchase is the old model Symetre. Currently going for $99 at anaconda as a clearout. This is a great reel that will last and perform much better than the Sienna.

For the rod - keep an eye out on 2nd hand rods that are being sold for $100 or if you are really after a rod asap i'd go the Pflueger trions currently on sale at the same store for $100. I've found the veritas to just be a bit too thick in the blank for my liking. A light rod just feels funny and too heavy when its so thick.

That does push your budget a bit since you still need to buy line.

In summary - I think stick with the 1000, buy the best reel you can with the money and then keep an eye out for good rods for sale. They come relatively regularly through different forums and even through stores.

Thanks for the advice Do$tylz. I'll swing by my local Anaconda and see if they have any left. 

Archived