What Reel For Deep Sea/chasing Snapper/tuna/reefies Etc

Puttee

Hi there guys, hope all is well during this storm here in QLD and NSW.

I'm wondering what sort of reel I should buy for going deep sea fishing with my mates on the weekends, I'm looking to budget $200-400. I'm thinking either Shimano or PENN, open to Daiwa. I'm thinking of using 20-40lb braid and 50-70 lb mono on the end depending on situations. Preferably spinning reals, not a fan of baitcasters. Would be using livies, dead bait, few metal slugs and soft plastics, occasional hard bodied lure. 

All advice/info appreciated :)

Sorry mate should've specified that too. I like spinning reals, line capacity isn't too much of an issue. Fishing 10-30m's of water, hoping for long tail tuna, reffies, snapper etc, something universal would be perfect if I could

Thanks mate

I don't have a lot of experience with the Penn Spinfisher other than finding it a little heavy in the hand. considering you may want to throw slugs and plastics, a heavier reel may make it a bit cumbersome.

I'd look at either a 4000 or 5000 sized Shimano. Maybe even a 6000. Depends on if you want a challenge/fun for most fish or you just want to power in most fish. 4000 will handle all fish in the bay but can make it a small challenge when hooked into a longy. 6000 will handle the longy easier but will make the pan sized snapped in the bay unenjoyable.

Just comes down to how much you are willing to spend after that. I haven't played with any of the new shimanos or daiwas yet so can't help with exact models either.

I have all of the reels mentioned above. As stated, the Penn Spinfishers have all the bells and whistles, however are flawed. The thing I don't like about the new Spinfisher Vs is the composite construction, feels cheap in my mind. I like the old spinfshers and have two of them also, but their drag capacity isn't as good as the new ones and they're heavy if you're going to cast all day. The plus for both spinfishers is you can pack them with a heap of line.

I originally had a 5000 Biomaster, which at the time was superb and still is. However I bought a 5000 Stradic FK last year, and exceeded my expectations. I took it to PNG last year and it handled everything. The drag, smooth winding and lightness of Shimanos is a big plus. Only downfall is that if you're in the 30-40lb line bracket, they don't pack much line on. Perfect for short runs, but I wouldn't want to handle anything with speed and distance such as tuna.

Plenty of advice sound advice in this thread, only trouble is making a decision, of which can be tricky. I would look at drag capacity, line capacity, bearings, and construction, and then see what you feel like. Go into stores and ask to feel the reels, that's usually what I do, after awhile you'll know what feels right.

3 hours ago, Terry H said:

Either 4000 for 20lbs or 5000 for 30lbs. 

For the price, I'd probably roll with a Biomaster:

http://ottostackleworld.com.au/store/product/9568/Shimano-Biomaster-SW-Spin-Reels/

You know what's different between the Biomaster and Stradic? It looks pretty much identical to like my FJ Stradic with a different spool. I'm sure they have thrown in a couple of extra seals for that price ;)

Archived