Dirty Getaway

Salt Shaker

Hi Everyone. 

Im looking for a bit of help for a weekend away. Wanting to take a simple camping setup, 4.5m tinny with a 40hp Yamaha and the Navara. Hoping to find somewhere for about 3 days with an easy boat launch and flattish water as the lady is scared of the big bad ocean. Maybe a bit off the beaten track as well. 

Any ideas or help as to where we can go would be much appreciated. Also don't want to go more than about 2 or 3 hours from Brisbane. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 minute ago, demarc said:

6 hours to Middle Creek at 1770. Worth the extra drive! Great camping and way off the beaten track.

Absolutely love it up there, but have a trip planned for there in August already, ( boys week away ). Hit me with some closer places for this one.

and if anyone says "Johns Landing" we can't be friends anymore lol.

You could try Poona. Just north of Inskip and on the Great Sandy Strait.

A town of maybe 100 people right on the water. The campgrounds/caravan park is right on the boat ramp. Nice flat water right in front.

Kinda off the beaten track since not a lot of people go there. There's 1 cafe/shop in the suburb (I'd struggle to call it a town) and that's pretty much it.

Coochin Creek campground is ok, close by, without the Deliverance music re Johns Landing :lol: can access Pumicestone Passage, boat ramp approx. 1km from campground. can launch canoes, kayaks from in the campground

On 26 May 2017 at 2:03 PM, aussie123 said:

Definitely have a look at Harrys Hut on the Noosa Everglades.

I have not been in there by car but I have fished all through there in a boat and it really is an amazing place.

I'd love to spend a few days camping up there myself sometime.

I've been in there with the landcruiser a few years back. Good spot .

22 hours ago, Gad said:

Coochin Creek campground is ok, close by, without the Deliverance music re Johns Landing :lol: can access Pumicestone Passage, boat ramp approx. 1km from campground. can launch canoes, kayaks from in the campground

Mate, that Johns Landing.... I thought I was gonna wake up minus some body parts lol.

Johns landing is where they 'dump' Noosa's homeless so they don't mess up their beautiful streets.  Council give them a tent and drop them out there.

https://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/homeless-camping-out/1177575/

Poona is nice but you can only use the boat ramp a couple hrs either side of high tide.  Heaps of small town in Sandy Straits.  Have a look at Maaroom.  Has a ramp, pontoon and enough water at low tide.  

11 hours ago, Doyley said:

Johns landing is where they 'dump' Noosa's homeless so they don't mess up their beautiful streets.  Council give them a tent and drop them out there.

https://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/homeless-camping-out/1177575/

Poona is nice but you can only use the boat ramp a couple hrs either side of high tide.  Heaps of small town in Sandy Straits.  Have a look at Maaroom.  Has a ramp, pontoon and enough water at low tide.  

I could not believe once we set up camp there and went to the shop at the gate, there was a sign saying 'Centrelink payments now available'. 

On 26/05/2017 at 8:26 PM, Binder said:

Thanks for the tip Henry, looks pretty good!

My brother and I went for a 1 day trip up that way to have a look at buying some land for the future. Stopped in at Poona to have a look at cheap land near water. Not bad if you have a spare $74k to spend. 800sqm of land, 1 block from the water.

But then we found that rates for said block of land with no town sewage and with power and water NOT connected would run about $1600/$1800 per annum. Better off just renting a house there for a week at a time for $600 instead.

Archived