Tully Jungle Perch

Cmaltby

JP's are a cool fish.

Ive chased them from around cairns up and they are so fun. Small ecogear sx40's and the manns 5+. They hide under the cover and come out so quick. Dont slow down on the retrieve or they will just sit next to the lure and look at it. Reaction fish for sure. My daughters first fish was a JP just north of cape trip in a pond the size of a patio table. 

At fraser is. in eli creek we were stunning the march flys, pulling a wing off and throwing them in the current and these JP's were coming out from the cover like lightining and smashing the flys. Aerial acrobatics and all. Very agressive and have such big eyes. 

My brother lives in karanda and when targeting JP's we found you will also get sooty grunter. They give one hell of a fight. Same characteristics as JP's. Awesome fun. 

One thing i will say is watch out for wait a while. That beautiful inocent looking palm that will tear you to pieces. When they're big you will spot them but the small ones are the ones that will grab you and rip that top layer of skin off making showers very painful. I climbed out of the scrub up in karanda and looked like I'd been in a fight with a knife fighter. Board shorts and t shirt arent the recommended fishing apparel. Something long will give you warning before it tares you open. 

Cheers and have fun. Fishing central to NQ is awesome fun. Oh,and watch out for the logs with legs. Just cause its fresh dont mean they wont inhabit that area.  They dont like the clear water as much so youll spot one easy enough if its there. 

I've bought a heap of surface walkers and pop cicadas and just what I already have. Looking forward to getting up there and exploring. I've never caught a jp and really want to, not to mention the scenery and camping out should be fun. Going up for 3 days only taking what I can fit in my backpack 

I fish JP's in my local creeks in Cairns. Stealth is the key- if they see you its all over. Any lure works so long as you get it in the right spot without spooking them.

If the water is dirty from rain runoff, you get cricket score catches of them.

53 minutes ago, tiotony said:

I fish JP's in my local creeks in Cairns. Stealth is the key- if they see you its all over. Any lure works so long as you get it in the right spot without spooking them.

If the water is dirty from rain runoff, you get cricket score catches of them.

Thanks tony I think the stealth hunting side adds to the appeal. How is the weather up there at the moment if you don't mind me asking? I'm hoping water quality is clear as we're packing pretty light hoping to shower/drink from the streams we're staying near 

21 hours ago, Cmaltby said:

Thanks tony I think the stealth hunting side adds to the appeal. How is the weather up there at the moment if you don't mind me asking? I'm hoping water quality is clear as we're packing pretty light hoping to shower/drink from the streams we're staying near 

I'm actually on holiday in Brisbane right now so couldn't tell you how the weather is in FNQ!

8 hours ago, natang said:

Absolutely pissed down in Innisfail last night fora good 6 hours.. Over the weekend its was cool and overcast today is sunny and pleasant. Be prepared for rain it always rains up here. 

What are the temps like? 

Mate overnight it's about 13-17 at present (Surprisingly a little chilly though) I'm from Ipswich and been here four months and its almost jumper weather of an evening. Today is overcast and forecast is for rain all weekend.... Check Willyweather out and type in where your heading it does wind, tides, swell, weather etc etc.... Plus the BOM site.... 

Days are very pleasant like 20-29 right now it's 18 degrees. Pack a raincoat and a light jumper. 

Archived