Cape Moreton Experiment

demarc

Due to work being more busy then normal I was forced to miss the dam trip. Snuck offshore Saturday instead with Brad and his brother. Our plan was to fish Cape Moreton as the both of us being southsiders have never hit the area.

Lanuched from Fishermans at 0430. The trip across the bay was ok for a bit then we hit the 15knt winds. Made it to the cape by day break. Boy is it a long trip!

Tried the bait ground marks I had for nothing so we set the pilot for shallow tempest to hunt some ground. Found some nice isolated reefs which looked fishy.

We were nearly at the end of our second drift when my reel went off. After a nice fight, an 85cm Snapper came up. 

Fishing slowed after this and we pulled no more fish. We headed out to Deep Tempest and found some ground in 99mtrs. Current however made it unfishable. 

We tried our first spot again for zip, so headed closer to the Cape and fished a few areas for 3 more Snapper, 1 Trev and a Bream.

Was a good day and will be back in the area to learn it more soon.

20170624_073809.jpg

20170624_133244.jpg

20170624_145500.jpg

20170624_145711.jpg

Nice fish and report mate. I find when fishing reefs for snapper you should never drive over where you are planning on fishing. Pull up away from the reef and figure out a drift pattern. Then figure out where you need to be to gwt the best drift over the reef while remaining stealth. Engine noise can shut down the fish or even spook them. There are some really good grounds out off the cape with consistent snapper around the 85cm mark

1 hour ago, josha293 said:

Nice fish and report mate. I find when fishing reefs for snapper you should never drive over where you are planning on fishing. Pull up away from the reef and figure out a drift pattern. Then figure out where you need to be to gwt the best drift over the reef while remaining stealth. Engine noise can shut down the fish or even spook them. There are some really good grounds out off the cape with consistent snapper around the 85cm mark

How do you apply the theory to new grounds? On Sunday we were in a new area and had to sound around to figure out where to drop. I also have a 1kw tranny, it gives you a zap if you swim under it. Do you think this would spook them too?

2 hours ago, demarc said:

How do you apply the theory to new grounds? On Sunday we were in a new area and had to sound around to figure out where to drop. I also have a 1kw tranny, it gives you a zap if you swim under it. Do you think this would spook them too?

Finding new ground is always hard. Id suggest doing a few trips and finding some mark and next time your out so drifts over that area with the engine off. That or drift over the reef with engine off and mark out grounds while drifting over it then re-drift it with some rids out.  Not %100 on the sounder tho, just keen it on and see how you go, id they are still shutting down mabey try without it. A mate of mine does really well at the time of year and also gets 80cn spangled emperor( i think thats what there called)

4 minutes ago, tugger said:

Top snapper Julian is that a PB for you would have gone hard in shallow water

Sure is a PB. :-) It went hard in bursts. Was a really weird fight as a lot of the time it swam towards the boat. Was very green once landed and needed the donger to settle it down.

17 minutes ago, Luvit said:

The big one made the whole trip worthwhile. Well done. 

After seeing you were working on a previous post I didn't call you to see if you wanted to go out.

Lucky... I got a work call Sunday at 11Am that lasted till 6PM. :-( 

Archived