Whales As Speed Bumps

tugger

Headed offshore with Kelvin and Dylan on Wednesday the bay was like glass but outside was a bit lumpy only because it was right on the nose once out at our grounds it was easy going. The snapper were a bit slow 1st up but soon enough they started to bight harder, Dylan landed a nice fish going 68cm and we all got a few solid fish. There were whales every where we turned some breaching right out of the water others tail slapping for ages then as we were moving between fishing marks 2 whales popped up right in front of us and if i hadnt pulled off the throttle and come off the plane we would have hit these giant speed bumps.

In the end we got our bag of good snapper then we headed to boat rock to try for a few different fish we had 2 strikes on floating baits with 1 being a mack tuna and the other an unstoppable. After a couple of moses perch were landed and Kelvins red emperor we headed for home knocking over a few cold beers we filleted the days catch.

20170628_112808.thumb.jpg.40fa62b0554808a94e5c748e4cf06465.jpg

20170628_150607.thumb.jpg.5bb6094f086d048af56a76febe3a7267.jpg

3 hours ago, Luvit said:

Your boat always put together a solid bag Tugger. :1311_thumbsup_tone2:

Is that your first Red Kel and what water depth did it come from? It doesn't look that far from shore. Even when they are not size seeing red is always a thrill.

The red come out of 20m deep 

4 minutes ago, Luvit said:

I was under the impression that Reds are normally in 40+ meters. 

Generally the bigger reds like that 55 to 75m range but you can catch them shallower quite often, just as you can catch them out deeper around the 100m line.

I caught a red down on the Palmy about 3 years ago with Mark and that is very shallow.

5 hours ago, Luvit said:

Is that your first Red Kel and what water depth did it come from? It doesn't look that far from shore. Even when they are not size seeing red is always a thrill.

Not my first Wayne (grew up in CQ so Dad's boat got used up around Mackay ;)) although haven't caught many and from memory my PB is around 58cm (just legal). This one was 50cm and gave me a good workout on 20lb spin gear - new it was a 'small' red when I saw the colour pattern but got suprised that it wasn't that 'small' as it got to the surface. Gave it a measure to be certain .... :)

Great day out Mark - they certainly weren't chewing their heads off and most floatlined baits made it to the bottom before fish found them but thankfully there were a few decent sized ones and we got our bag by 10:30am. Oh and @tugger - I noticed you change rods at one stage and the line on it looked a bit different .......... :whistle:   What was that green stuff on it ... it looked remarkably like br@!d .......... :devil:

Hooking a snap and bonito on the one floatline rig was cool (I'll have to buy some more snapper flasher rigs). Shame we didn't get a look at whatever smashed the whole bonito on my Tyrnos - had some power to it!!!  Think I left my jar of sinkers in your boat - will grab them next time.

8 hours ago, straddiebrad said:

some great fish once again hope to get out next week to give it a go looks good so far

Monday still looks like the weather is going to be great for offshore should see some fish hitting your decks if you get out Brad

Archived