Schoolie Holiday Fun

kmcrosby78

Took my 5yr old son Liam out for a fish from Wello Pt yesterday - dropped his 2yr old brother off at Daycare without him suspecting we were up to something and after getting the gear/boat ready, leaving, returning home to get Liam's lifejacket ........ we were at the ramp around 10:30am to GLORIOUS conditions. Put 4 pots in with the hope of some sandies for our efforts using some moses perch and snapper frames from the previous days offshore trip with Mark.

Had read that there were some school mackerel around east of Wello Pt/Green Island so rigged a paravane up and started trolling. Nothing for a while and then we spotted a few birds sitting on the water so headed towards them whilst I explained to Liam the theory aorund while they'd be sitting there seemingly minding their own business. Sure enough, within a minute of going past them we had our first bent rod (Liam's job was to watch it while I watched the sounder and later the handheld GPS) and then a 58cm school mackerel in the boat. Grabbed Liam's little knife out of his new tacklebox and went to cut the fish's throat and bu99er me if the knife wasn't alot sharper than I'd expected - poor fish was almost headless ......

Spirits were high and we proceeded to pick up three more, all around the same size, but doing laps of this area and got joined by firstly a mum dolphin and her baby/young one, and later a large pod of them which thrilled Liam. As I started to wonder how many we could possibly catch (an unusual thought pattern for me .....) the next few laps were fruitless and I couldn't find anything on the sounder and Liam was keen to get to Green Island to try for some squid and reef fish so we pulled the paravane in and off we went.

Tried a quick drift for a squid for no result and then anchored up just as the predicted northerly wind kicked in which made things difficult unpleasant so with time running out we stayed for a bit whilst Liam reeled in 5 fish in short time - three trumpeter, a small tarwhine and some little purple/black frilly looking creature. Took our time heading with the waves back to Wello Pt to collect our pots and got two creepers and a few throwbacks and home we went to go and pick his brother George up to reveal our little secret ....... won't be long before he works out that he wasn't there ..... :whistle:

Hopefully get out a couple of times next week to have another crack at them.595624bb1313f_Schoolies29June2017.jpg.a26c187450a967da21e210c2f9084396.jpg595624d93b5a9_SchooliesandcrabsJune2017.jpg.44a9cd41be161d424530eef54f675570.jpg

Yeah Mark he was telling his school buddies today at a park catchup. Handy to be able to catch them nice and close, that's for sure. Easy way to target them (well, when it works .....) with young kids too, think I'll do plenty of it when Peta and George join us in our next boat. I'll give Liam a go at winding one in next time - the combo is failry big to be able to pull the paravane but we'll give him a go.

Thanks Luke ........... edited :) 

Nice report and freed.

You will look back on these sort of photos in years to come and remember the day like yesterday. The noticeable difference will be how much the kids appearances change wihile growing up before your eyes. 

Archived