Coloufull Monday

tugger

oMy son Brock had the day off work and hit me up for a fish offshore so we headed out early through south passage bar the fishing was slow early on with zero current even fishing with pea sinkers in fairly deep water was not getting the runs on the board. We worked hard till we found a patch of snapper and a couple fo snaps over 50cm hit the deck Brock also was geting a few pearlies just under size but never found any bigger models.

We moved down to the rock and found fish chewing and started to have some fun on good hard fighting fish we also scored some very coloufull fish like goat fish of all sorts of colours, coral cod and a chinaman fish.

20170703_122328.thumb.jpg.95623de50456a776d78859ddeaecc393.jpg

20170703_124542.thumb.jpg.ddf0ed05eec6fc9b7456de104df45b20.jpg

We both hooked some good snapper that fight so much harder in the shallows and started to really fill the box it took a while to find the right combination of rigs to and in to them we got. An old fishing mate told me a long time ago if your not catching fish change your rigs, sinker size and baits till you crack em and how true he has been all those years ago.

We found the best bait for the day was fresh bonito followed closely by half pilchard, the trevally we in big schools and they kept us busy pulling hard inbetween the snapper bite, Brock also got a nice tusky that pulled hard another colour for the day. The best snapper went 65cm at the rock and i was surprised to see a good fish like that up close where I fish he gave me plenty of curry before I got him away from the bottom.

There was also some moses perch mixed in and plenty of dart just harrasing our baits they were so aggressive today it was fun all morning then we called it quits when the bait ran out. The weather was awesome all day to make an excellent day out on the water with my boy we could do 40km/hr offshore with out a bump, the bay was like glass both ways and i didn't slow down for the bar it was non existant.

Back home we filleted the catch while we downed a few cold brews Brock an fillet now very well i guess he must of watched me enough over the years i just get pissed when he outfishes me and rubs it in. Here is tally at the end

20170703_152750.thumb.jpg.5a87a06812bf180f177af695df20ea74.jpg

20170703_153317.thumb.jpg.45d0016c4cb78f0d2cd7751104608ddb.jpg

7 hours ago, christophagus said:

nice tugger.

Cant believe the deckie spot wasn't snapped up....guess everyone was working like me

There were plenty of boats launching same time as us so a few rdo's or sickies were taken lol.

2 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Well done Mark and Brock - good decision to go to the rock to complete your snapper bag, was no shortage of them there the other day. Good to see some more 'northern' species caught down here too :)

Global warming will have the tropical fish here sooner or later look at that red emperor you caught bring it on lol.

Great day out Tugger and tugget?:whistle:

We have found the same when things are slow, keep changing styles, retrieve rates, leader size, hook size, sinker size until you crack the code as they say. One spot we were at shut down after they were biting quite well. We changed looked for another reef and straight away we were getting bites again. Maybe a shark had moved in and scared them off at the first reef, who knows but change has it rewards. 

Thank goodness for RDO's

58 minutes ago, Luvit said:

Great day out Tugger and tugget?:whistle:

We have found the same when things are slow, keep changing styles, retrieve rates, leader size, hook size, sinker size until you crack the code as they say. One spot we were at shut down after they were biting quite well. We changed looked for another reef and straight away we were getting bites again. Maybe a shark had moved in and scared them off at the first reef, who knows but change has it rewards. 

Thank goodness for RDO's

Sharks often move in and shut a school of fish down Wayne.

You will often see other good shows of fish and do a drift through and clean up and then nothing afterwards.One drift wonders are very common out there.

Just now, aussie123 said:

Sharks often move in and shut a school of fish down Wayne.

You will often see other good shows of fish and do a drift through and clean up and then nothing afterwards.One drift wonders are very common out there.

Why is it everything I learn you already know? Can you please write a book so I can save a lot of time. It would be priceless. 

Appreciate your input all the time Lance.  

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Luvit said:

Why is it everything I learn you already know? Can you please write a book so I can save a lot of time. It would be priceless. 

Appreciate your input all the time Lance.  

Thanks

You are learning just fine Wayne, in fact I think you have learnt more than most over the past few years considering you are doing and trying things yourself and not really taught by experienced fishermen.

Your catches are becoming more constant with some really good results now which is fantastic to see.

I find that if I learn it myself, rather than be told it sticks better. 

You simply can not replace experience and time on the water. I do not expect to spend more time on the water fishing recreationally than you have already done in your fishing lifetime. But the journey is fun. 

Archived