W, W, B, B, B ............. W, B, B ........

kmcrosby78

Had the pleasure of firstly meeting and then fishing with @youngy yesterday. Met at Wayne's place (nice location!!), hopped in the boat and we were on our way south to the Nerang River. Was my first time fishing one of the Gold Coast rivers and was certainly a unique experience anchoring up with houses on both sides of us.

Wayne gave me a quick rundown on the system used with the long rods out the back and smaller spin rods out the side and also how much worm to use (my first time fishing with worms) and away we went. First spot was unfruitful so off to another location and this time two nice whiting (around 34cm - nice big fat buggers) came in on Wayne's side of the boat. Then the bream found us, so it was time to move .... this continued a theme for the day and now I understand why whiting fishermen find bream so frustrating - although when Wayne pulled in a nice fat 35cm model I was happy for him to add it to the esky for me (a bit more worthwhile then the just legal ones).

I was telling Wayne how I've recently had it noted to me by two seperate fishermen that I've got a bad technique when retrieving line with a spin reel (touching the line with my finger) so I concentrated on getting that right today - pretty sure it's because I grew up using Alvey's as a kid. Ironically, I was a bit rusty with the finer points of using Wayne's Alvey setup (these day's I basically always use spin reels ...) and lets just say one of his reels has a bit less line on it (sorry mate!) after I twice cast and the line got all twisted up (winding it too high/wide on the spool and/or not tight enough). I also took a while to nail the technique when hooking a fish with the 10ft 6inch rod - I wasn't holding the line or spool at first but got that sorted after a while.

Our last two spots produced some more whiting for us (including some for me) with plenty more bream including a couple more big fat ones. I unfortunately snapped off a grunter when going to lift it into the water and also a decent whiting (seemed to be getting little knots in my leader during the day - I'm blaming that anyway .....) which was annoying.

We ended up with 8 whiting with the biggest going 34cm and 3 bream around 33-35cm. So I'm popular with the family again!!  Big thanks to Wayne for inviting me down, teaching me heaps and just being a great bloke to spend a day on the water with. I was glad you didn't have to dig the worms for this trip - I'd like to come down and help some time as it would be another good skill to learn/have.

I was telling Wayne just before I left in the arvo that my wife was enquriing whether I've met 'this bloke' before and I said no. Wayne said he gets the same from his wife over the years of taking fishermen out with him. I've felt like I've known him for years through fishing forums and reading his BNB articles so it was good to finally meet him and spend time on the water talking fishing, sport, politics (not in much depth  ;) ) and marvelling at the stupidity of the young blokes hooning around in their tinnies (and apparently their behaviour wasn't as bad as it can be .....). Hope to do it all again sometime.

595e118a45d7e_NerangRiverJuly2017.jpg.190295728ee73595016361f0994be30c.jpg595e11d1f23d0_NerangRiverJuly2017withYoungy.jpg.9f3063c179c6c71e9f110dc893f5985b.jpg

59 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

nice feed guys..sad that you have to run from bream...down here everybody chases them and whiting are bycatch..rick

I don't mind the 35cm ones, it's the undersized ones that steal the bait before anything else gets a chance that are annoying.

Whiting fishing is an art i know an old fella at tallebudgera that brains them and get horse whiting but you move alot and he uses 2 anchors out from the back and front to keep the boat sideways to the tide and always leans the rods on to the side of the boat never holds them or put them in rod holders.

It certainly is Mark. Yeah we did the same with the long rods out the back and with the direct wind alvey reels with no drag, you know about it when a big bream runs off with your bait ...... particularly when you're busy talking and not paying proper attention .....

15 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I was telling Wayne just before I left in the arvo that my wife was enquriing whether I've met 'this bloke' before and I said no. Wayne said he gets the same from his wife over the years of taking fishermen out with him.

It must be a wife thing.

You were right to be cautious of someone with that name.:whistle:

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Doyley said:

@kmcrosby78 did Youngy say anything about berley while whiting fishing?  For the last 6 months I have been trying it while fishing for whiting but I think i might stop.  I feel like it's bringing more undersize bream to the boat and I usually cast sideways and let the bait drift with the tide.  thoughts?

Exactly what you're planning to do mate - STOP!!  Yep, just brings too many bait stealing bream :)  He has a 20 minute rule - no bite for 20 mins, keep moving.

Archived