Winter Whiting

Angus

Hey all. I have been very quiet lately juggling work, baby and some pretty intensive study.

Next weekend I have a 3 day break and looking to break the drought.

Lately the wee man has been loving fish I would actually like to get him some feeds. With this in mind I thought winter whiting might be a good option. I have seen on some of the facebook pages massive numbers getting caught but O have no experience with them. 

I had heard rumour that they were just out of Manly harbor and to the south but basically looking for any tips. It seems a lot of people target them but not so much from this website.

Anyway not looking for exact marks or anything but anyone jad some advice I would love to hear it. Rigs, rough locations, baits etc. Anything is more than I know now :)

Angus

Not sure what boat you're going in Angus but the Rous Channel and Small Boat Channel (a little closer - due east of the Hope Banks which are east of Green Island) hold plenty of them (so I've read here - http://reports.fishingmonthly.com.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=17344&sid=bcf085e1633790c350ea3f8c07eaf326#p17344) if you get conditions to go that far. Obviously it would be preferable to get them where you mentioned - if you try I hope it works :)

I usually head to the cockle banks south of Bribie and anywhere out from d'bay always holds them.  Reports are they are all through the NW of the bay at the moment. I was going to take the kids out today chasing them but a leg infection has slowed me down.

I usually drift in around 4-5m of water.  Keep moving and changing depths until i come across them in good numbers.  Sometimes  deeper water can holder larger ones.  very rarely do i anchor up, usually keep drifting over the same area if I'm picking good ones up.

If you don't have any known spots just keep an eye out for groups of boats drifting together.

Always worth having a squid jig over one side and a pilchard floating out the back when chasing winter whiting.  If the dolphins turn up its time to move.

Archived