Soft Plastics

Deadly Dan

At the moment, probably flathead and bream. Would love to go after the jacks when it warms up, but I haven't been fishing that long so I need to get a bit more skill before then. 

The water there is fairly dark. I was using dark greens, blacks, pinks and greens. Went once on the run in, and then again this morning on the run out and got nothing. 

It all comes down to trial and error mate. Just out the time in and if something isn't working mix it up a little. Fish lighter if you still dont get any bites. If the water is really clear use a natural colour, if the water is really dirt use something darker as that will cast more of a shadow from the plastic and get you the bite. Cab river can be very hit and miss mate. Some days ots in fire and other days you could be on the water for 8 hours and still get a donut. As for jacks im still het to get one on a lure or plastic. I have probly put in over 2000 cast and about 150 plus hours of fishing for nothing so far

Yeah I don't like my chances on getting one anytime soon haha. 

If be stoked at a decent flatty to be honest. I'm thinking about heading out again in the morning, so hopefully I can get some luck. 

Im running 10lb braid and 15lb leader so if things don't start happening soon, then I'll go lighter. 

Thanks for your tips mate, appreciate the help. 

If you want to get some flatties go much lighter. I use 6lb braid and 8lb leader. I've managed to pull in big fish with this. Couple of 55cm flatties yesterday and a 60cm flattie last wknd. Just check your line after each fish you land as there raspy teeth can sheer the line. I use 1/8th or 1/6th jig head if the water isn't running too quick, 1/4 if it's running a bit harder. Cast up into the current and bounce it back with the current. 2 hours before the low. Just about any plastic will do for flatties.. 3 or 4 inch minnows and curl tail  swimming mullet are my go to. Pumpkin seed, pearl watermelon, smelt, banana prawn all good colours 

Went to nudgee beach this morning and the past couple of mornings. Got 6 flatties this morning, biggest was about 50cm. Has been very slow there for the past couple of days, can usually get the same amount of fish in half the time. Another good spot is the flats off lota at the mouth of the tingalpa creek on the run out. Plenty of flatties there, although not as big as other places. Nudgee has better size 

Thanks mate. 

Low tide at Nudgee on Saturday morning is around 1:30am  

is there much point fishing there from say 8pm onwards on Friday night? I am thinking of fishing the bank near the mouth of the floodway, Nudgee beach side. Try and use bits and pieces of all the advice above given to me  

Archived