Heaven Raining Coral Trout

tugger

Hit up 1770 in Stradiebrads boat with Brad and Brock over the weekend the weather looked good so we set off from the ramp on Friday morning. We traveled to the outer lying reefs and started fishing with the trout showing up early and good size to as i landed the biggest coral trout of the trip on my new rod and reel.

20170804_105249.thumb.jpg.66372e9a8b4b91a955876e4cb1b328a1.jpg

We also were catching good size Red throat emperor, Tuskies, Hussar and Moari cod so the esky was looking very healthy. With the sun dipping low we chose our anchorage close to the reef atol on top of a new nice drop off where we could fish after dark then get some shut eye. The sunset that night was awesome looking over the reef and with a red sky a night sailors delight we new the saying would be true and the next day would be sensational.

20170805_061606.thumb.jpg.49f7b37664fa29b5c765166d035e615d.jpg

The next morning we woke to great conditions and fish were on the bite every spot had hungry coral trout as well as all the species we encounted. We found new ground also from previous trips with good structure and fish willing to take a bait. About lunch time we went for a snorkel and found a huge crayfish which Brock grabbed by hand and pulled out of its reef hole. A nice shower after the swim was refreshing washing away a day and a half of fishing.

The arvo was calm enough to see the water glass out and another session of fish dusted we went back to anchor for another night close to the reef. The next morning the trout really bit hard and we where able to bag out on the trout early and head home stopping to have a look inside Fitzroy lagoon. We saw plenty of whales this trip including some Minkie whales which come up close to the boat to check us out. 

The trip home was good and we cleaned the fish the next day after some photos the final species count was Coral trout, Coronation trout, Coral cod, Moari cod, Hussar, Moses perch, Brownstripe snapper, Stripey snapper, Spangeled emperor, Red throat emeperor, Venus tuskfish,Tropical rocklobster.

20170807_091321.thumb.jpg.ee0a4d59a71924bb89fc891ef8e100e6.jpg

20170806_204505.thumb.jpg.3039be8052ff8b79a596690ed45da8ff.jpg

20170806_205655.thumb.jpg.5770218eef1bef19bf8a2ef9b60ab0f5.jpg

1 hour ago, straddiebrad said:

yes was a great weekend,brock smashed them on the sp,i almost caught him,and the cracker cray he got also,was a good bag of red

Yeah I think you were level pegging at 1 stage then he pulled away again cheeky young fella when he gets going on the fish

8 hours ago, richard fisho said:

Thought the bag limit for coral trout 7 a person looks like 22 there 

Yes the bag limit is 7 per person and there is 22 fish in the photo but 1 of the fish is a coral cod if you read my report you will see at the bottom i listed a coral cod in the species we caught easily mistaken for a trout at 1st glance

2 hours ago, tugger said:

Yes the bag limit is 7 per person and there is 22 fish in the photo but 1 of the fish is a coral cod if you read my report you will see at the bottom i listed a coral cod in the species we caught easily mistaken for a trout at 1st glance

Easily identified by the convex tail (for a cod) and concave tail (for a trout).

On 09/08/2017 at 7:22 PM, tugger said:

Did the sums on the trip again and it worked out to be $230 each for the hole trip including car and boat fuel, bait, ice and food for the 3 days away on the reef pretty dam cheap trip 

That's awesome, when done right you can't beat a good 1770 trip for value for money, people spend that much for a charter trip of the seaway that dosnt even compare

6 hours ago, jon said:

That's awesome, when done right you can't beat a good 1770 trip for value for money, people spend that much for a charter trip of the seaway that dosnt even compare

Looks like September again for a few of our boats and crew again can't wait

14 minutes ago, Luvit said:

@Luke Landrunner and I are talking about it this week to see what we can arrange. It will be dependent on the weather trying for 2 nights days on the reef. 

Certainly looking forward to it. 

You should try and get up there while the boys are all there Wayne.

They will drag you around the area and you will learn heaps being with them.

Not till I speak with Luke. Trying to get a 4 days inclusive of a weekend to travel up stay on the reef for 2 nights then travel home. So it's going to be the best weather window opportunity. Will know more after I have spoken with Luke. 

Flagged it with work today TBC 

i don't want to stuff you guys around so I let you know when I know. That's why I have stayed in the background seeing what I can do. 

20 minutes ago, Luvit said:

Not till I speak with Luke. Trying to get a 4 days inclusive of a weekend to travel up stay on the reef for 2 nights then travel home. So it's going to be the best weather window opportunity. Will know more after I have spoken with Luke. 

Flagged it with work today TBC 

i don't want to stuff you guys around so I let you know when I know. That's why I have stayed in the background seeing what I can do. 

Cool that is the best way to do it around a weekend that has good weather

On 8/9/2017 at 9:17 AM, tugger said:

The trip home was good and we cleaned the fish the next day after some photos the final species count was Coral trout, Coronation trout, Coral cod, Moari cod, Hussar, Moses perch, Brownstripe snapper, Stripey snapper, Spangeled emperor, Red throat emeperor, Venus tuskfish,Tropical rocklobster.

wow awesome work. I'm really pumped for 1770 trip now! :)

On 8/9/2017 at 9:17 AM, tugger said:

Hit up 1770 in Stradiebrads boat with Brad and Brock over the weekend the weather looked good so we set off from the ramp on Friday morning. We traveled to the outer lying reefs and started fishing with the trout showing up early and good size to as i landed the biggest coral trout of the trip on my new rod and reel.

20170804_105249.thumb.jpg.66372e9a8b4b91a955876e4cb1b328a1.jpg

We also were catching good size Red throat emperor, Tuskies, Hussar and Moari cod so the esky was looking very healthy. With the sun dipping low we chose our anchorage close to the reef atol on top of a new nice drop off where we could fish after dark then get some shut eye. The sunset that night was awesome looking over the reef and with a red sky a night sailors delight we new the saying would be true and the next day would be sensational.

20170805_061606.thumb.jpg.49f7b37664fa29b5c765166d035e615d.jpg

The next morning we woke to great conditions and fish were on the bite every spot had hungry coral trout as well as all the species we encounted. We found new ground also from previous trips with good structure and fish willing to take a bait. About lunch time we went for a snorkel and found a huge crayfish which Brock grabbed by hand and pulled out of its reef hole. A nice shower after the swim was refreshing washing away a day and a half of fishing.

The arvo was calm enough to see the water glass out and another session of fish dusted we went back to anchor for another night close to the reef. The next morning the trout really bit hard and we where able to bag out on the trout early and head home stopping to have a look inside Fitzroy lagoon. We saw plenty of whales this trip including some Minkie whales which come up close to the boat to check us out. 

20170807_091321.thumb.jpg.ee0a4d59a71924bb89fc891ef8e100e6.jpg

20170806_204505.thumb.jpg.3039be8052ff8b79a596690ed45da8ff.jpg

20170806_205655.thumb.jpg.5770218eef1bef19bf8a2ef9b60ab0f5.jpg

That's a seriously awesome creel! Well done all. I'd love to get a cray in September! Do you just take a hand spear?

Love those emperors and cod too. seriously so keen for 1770. Gonna buy a new reel. 

Archived