Heaven Raining Coral Trout

tugger

Have bought a new rod and reel the same as Brock had up there as he out did both of us on the trout so i have a 5000 size sustain spooled with 30lb i am going to stop these trout on now. I think the lighter line was what the trout responded to so come September i will give it a go.

1 hour ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Mono I'm assuming Mark ....... ?   Did you buy it as a combo? Should be a nice outfit mate, not that I've used a Sustain but all the reports are good. Really, really, really going to have to get up there sometime, jealous!!

Bought separate got the sustain from bcf as the run out model discounted to $220 got a gary howard rod from tackle warehouse and going to put braid on which might shock you

12 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great buying with the Sustain Mark!!  Braid hey ........... Brock must have been slaying you ...... :whistle:

Will give the new combo a whirl up at 1770 next month and see if I can stop plenty of trout on it the boy can't be that good of a fisherman lol

Considering you guys were up there around the full moon the second week up there in September will be a new moon. The tides should be running similar to when you were there.  Based on this, what weight jig heads was Brock using as a guide to stick up on?

What have you found the fishing like around a new moon in the past? 

37 minutes ago, Luvit said:

Considering you guys were up there around the full moon the second week up there in September will be a new moon. The tides should be running similar to when you were there.  Based on this, what weight jig heads was Brock using as a guide to stick up on?

What have you found the fishing like around a new moon in the past? 

2nd week will be the full moon again decreasing to the 3rd qaurter moon he used 2 ounce jig heads for best results got him down quick and kept close to bottom longer 

On 8/20/2017 at 9:33 PM, tugger said:

Stocked up the tackle box since this trip so i am ready to hit them trout again ģangeg up plenty of true turn hooks

What size true turn?

Did you gang them with a swivel? 

Do cheap swivels ever break?

Do you fish plastics up there? I thought you hated them?

Sorry for all the questions? :)

18 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

What size true turn?

Did you gang them with a swivel? 

Do cheap swivels ever break?

Do you fish plastics up there? I thought you hated them?

Sorry for all the questions? :)

I use 6/0 and 8/0 trueturns and I gang them with a good rolling swivel just make sure it is the correct size so it doesn't slip over the barb near the point of the hook. Cheap swivels will fail on big fish like red emperor, Brock was cleaning up on the trout on soft plastics I was using bait and caught a few trout but he outfished me 6 to 1. But I was targeting red emperor with very big baits and ask as many questions as you need Robbie it pays to be ready for a big trip like this.

5 hours ago, tugger said:

But I was targeting red emperor with very big baits and ask as many questions as you need Robbie it pays to be ready for a big trip like this.

did you catch many silver trevally? I was hoping to rig a paternoster with a running keeper hook above and good sized snapper weight and send some xos live baits down on the 80lb TLD. Is that being greedy?

28 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

did you catch many silver trevally? I was hoping to rig a paternoster with a running keeper hook above and good sized snapper weight and send some xos live baits down on the 80lb TLD. Is that being greedy?

No trevs but plenty of hussar you could do the same to

14 hours ago, aussie123 said:

There is a million trevs up there in the right spots

Great we should forget the Reds and catch little trevs instead.................... :whistle:

Or not. 

I'm going to study up on bag and size limits for all the regular species; Reds, Trout, RTE, Spanglies, Cod, Green Jobfish, painted crays.

What else is reasonably common?

Do you ever get onto the Large and Small mouth Nannygai? Or are they a bit further north?

What about Doggys?

Red bass?

someones a bit too excited.....

41 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Great we should forget the Reds and catch little trevs instead.................... :whistle:

Or not. 

I'm going to study up on bag and size limits for all the regular species; Reds, Trout, RTE, Spanglies, Cod, Green Jobfish, painted crays.

Do you ever get onto the Large and Small mouth Nannygai? Or are they a bit further north?

What about Doggys?

Red bass?

Lots of red throat and hussar for bulk species.

Next most common maybe cods, parrots etc.

Then your trouts, red emps and so on.

Lance and crew know a lot about the snapper and pearlies but we did not get those up there.

1 hour ago, Fishaman said:

The missus and I were up there couple of weeks ago. Went out with Damo on Hooked on 1770 charters. We caught most of the red fish in the pic. Unfortunatley the big red wasn't ours (went about 10kg) but the trout were on the chew. Our favorite eating fish.

1770 charter.jpg

That is a great bag mate. What depths were you fishing on the charter to get those fish.

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Or not. 

What about Doggys?

Red bass?

If the weather is crap on the outer reefs Robbie, we can always duck out for a morning fish and bag some trevs and get back before the afternoon wind kicks in.

We don't need to go far to get them.

On 24 August 2017 at 8:36 AM, tugger said:

I use 6/0 and 8/0 trueturns and I gang them with a good rolling swivel just make sure it is the correct size so it doesn't slip over the barb near the point of the hook. Cheap swivels will fail on big fish like red emperor, Brock was cleaning up on the trout on soft plastics I was using bait and caught a few trout but he outfished me 6 to 1. But I was targeting red emperor with very big baits and ask as many questions as you need Robbie it pays to be ready for a big trip like this.

I won't be able to make it to sinker night so I'll be adding to @Luvit's list of questions.

Getting excited....

Archived