Hello & Help

Gelly

Hi Everyone

Just signed up to this site. I have  recently moved to Brisbane from Townsville for work and am very excited about checking out some new fishing places and maybe chasing some muddies.

If anyone can help me get started i would be very much appreciative for your help. My wife and little girl like chasing  bread and butter fish and just enjoy being out on the water relaxing.

Putting out some pots while on the water is a bonus.

Looking forward to some feedback

Welcome to Brisbane and this forum mate. Fishing wise, you've got oodles of options in your vicinity - ramps including Manly, Wellington Point, Victoria Point and Jacobs Well (Jumpinpin). There are others, including one at Birkdale near the mouth of Tingalpa Creek. Perhaps give us an idea of what you'd like to fish for so we can narrow it down. Your bay options include whiting, bream, flathead, snapper, jewfish, mackerel, squid, grinners (@Old Scaley can give you tips on catching these ....... :whistle:)  and reefies like cod, grass emperor (sweetlip) and tuskfish.

I haven't caught many muddies around Brisbane but there's plenty of mangroves around Tingalpa Creek and Wellington Point which are both close to you.

Thanks ,I just want to be able to take my little girl out and catch some whiting,bream, Flathead, really just having a great day out in the boat watching the kids catch something

I get the new tinnie next Friday so looking forward to getting out, its been a while , to long actually

Thanks for your reply

Depending how old she is my biggest tip to keep the younger ones happy (by catching stuff) is to throw a berley bag over so you are at least catching little ones and keeping her happy.  Wellington Point is a nice close spot to fish and so is Coochiemudlo Island (Victoria Point ramp).  Read Nuggets weekly fishing report (Google it) on Friday's to get a gauge on what's biting where.

5 hours ago, Angus said:

Mate have a good sift through the reports as there is a tonne of info.

Lots of options. Are you boat based?

@Angus or @ellicat - might be worth merging this thread with the other one (Fishing and crabbing) as it gives more details regarding boat, etc. Also @Gelly I think I forgot to mention Cleveland (Raby Bay) ramp also, which gives access to Peel Island and some artificial reef/s.

I am picking up my new tinnie next Friday. I bought a new Stacer 399 seaspirte with and 30 yam.

Went for a drive today to look at ramps which was good and looked at the one at Raby Bay.

Whats the mouth of the Logan like??

I have started looked at all the threads as there is some good information.

Cheers

Your chances of catching some mud crabs will increase when the water starts to heat up. You can put a lot of time and effort at this time of the year for little result. 

Once we get a good soak of rain after a long dry spell they will start to move. 

If you are still interested in a couple of months I would be happy to go out and show what I have learnt catching mud crabs in your boat because mine is an offshore boat. Miss a feed of muddies. 

1 hour ago, Luvit said:

Your chances of catching some mud crabs will increase when the water starts to heat up. You can put a lot of time and effort at this time of the year for little result. 

Once we get a good soak of rain after a long dry spell they will start to move. 

If you are still interested in a couple of months I would be happy to go out and show what I have learnt catching mud crabs in your boat because mine is an offshore boat. Miss a feed of muddies. 

Thanks, i will take you up on that offer for sure.

Bring on some rain

14 hours ago, Gelly said:

Yes the nets part got me, bit i thought he must know something that's why i am asking haha

haha I was too... Welcome to the site. There are some great anglers here with fantastic advice. 

There are plenty of bream around Birkdale. for a bit of fun I like to burley with bread and use a small hook no sinker and float this down the trail. Rock walls and clearer water is a good place to start. 

9 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

haha I was too... Welcome to the site. There are some great anglers here with fantastic advice. 

There are plenty of bream around Birkdale. for a bit of fun I like to burley with bread and use a small hook no sinker and float this down the trail. Rock walls and clearer water is a good place to start. 

Thanks Drop Bear, i am going to sit on a bank this weekend and get the feel again. Looking forward to picking up the boat next weekend.

Just being out and smelling the salt air again is going to be fantastic

• 1 month later...
On 15 August 2017 at 7:50 PM, Gelly said:

Birkdale, not far from Wellington point. I have a  stacer 399 seaspirte with a 30 yam

Welcome to the site buddy. Look for some reports on Jacobs well might help you out. I used to fish that area before moving North. Use google maps to find the ramp the switch it to satellite mode you'll be able to see the rough lay of the river for where to maybe put some pots in. There are muddies down that way. 

A friend went out today and got 3 nice muddy'. Sent a video but I don't know where yet.

Logan is good for mud crabs but is hit heavy by pro crabbers. Still you can get a feed. 

Havent been fishing for a few weeks now. Hope to get out soon. 

Keep trying you will find them. 

Archived