Shimano Calcutta Ct 400b Baitcaster For 1770??

Drop Bear

Hey AFO legends

A mate is selling a Calcutta CT 400b baitcaster.

I'm looking to put together a 40-50 lb braid rod/reel and wondered if the Calcutta have enough drag and line capacity.

Is it the sort of thing that would be good for the 1770 trip?

i have 30lb on a 5000 sustain and a TLD 25 at 60 lb but wanted something that has more stopping power than the sustain but more fish-ability than the heavy TLD.

What cha recon?

cal.png

Hey mate, in my opinion I would opt for traditional overhead over a bait caster for 1770. The small handles can be a a pain especially if you were trying to stop big reds. This is only my opinion but I have a pretty heavy duty pluton combo and personally find it a royal pain for fighting reef brutes when your fishing straight up and down above the fish.Or if you head wider to some deeper grounds. Since my torsa now lives on the seabed around Sykes reef my reel of choice up there is a talica. If you can get your hands on a good condition used one you won't be disappointed. Other wise a good quality larger spin reel is my go to for stopping trout on plastics if that's your thing

4 hours ago, jon said:

my reel of choice up there is a talica. If you can get your hands on a good condition used one you won't be disappointed. Other wise a good quality larger spin reel is my go to for stopping trout on plastics if that's your thing

Thanks mate. is that the talica 2 speed? about 1k?

I think i will get a 6000 shimano spin something 50 lb.

I have a few old sticks that I can use. 

19 minutes ago, tugger said:

Last week Brock caught 12 trout on his 5000 sustain with 30lb braid he never lost a trout to being reefed only 1 to a shark

I will have this reel with me. I was just wanting something a bit heavier as well. :) They were cracking fish in your report

On 17/08/2017 at 4:02 PM, Drop Bear said:

Thanks mate. is that the talica 2 speed? about 1k?

I think i will get a 6000 shimano spin something 50 lb.

I have a few old sticks that I can use. 

Talica ten single speed I got mine second hand mint condition for around 400

Archived