Joe Devereux

Hi fellow fishers

The past couple weeks have been magic fishing weather and tides so we have been hitting it pretty hard up here. A friend of mine told me about a gas rig about 50 k off the coast of darwin That holds monster mackerel and huge jewies so the BOM was set to favourites and checked regularly with baited breath and then everything lined up perfectly accommodation was booked and the weather gods were kind even on a long weekend (that never happens) so off we went and a sleepless night was had in darwin due to the excitement. The early morning start was a 4am one and there was not a breath of air, the water was like glass and gave us an awesome sun rise put us at the rig at around 6 am there was tuna busting up everywhere and that gave us some entertainment for a couple of hours. We were soon drawn to the rig for some flicking of plastics and hardbodies only to be busted off by big runs and line rubbing on the pylons, I can tie a fg knot pretty fast now as by the end of the trip I reckon I tied about a million of em the surface action was pretty good holding a stupid amount of long tom witch by the end of the day became very effective strip bait. dropping them straight down to a depth of about 45m and within about 10 seconds big fish were just inhaling them and they were in charge wherever they wanted to go they went we never saw much colour but we suspect they may have been big cod or sharks all in all it was a good week end

The weekend before that we travel to woolianna on the daly didn't do as well as what we would have liked mainly small stuff and BIG crocs

Cheers

IMG_5715.thumb.jpg.63a21576524c21464a84baca84a6aed4.jpgIMG_5721.thumb.jpg.094c172c2a34df0a02ba35566f8abea4.jpgIMG_5708.thumb.jpg.eef2b48efaaeca7dc6785f2395d21e2a.jpgIMG_5722.thumb.jpg.eae4439ee6f29ebd4749894ed7cca9fc.jpgIMG_5705.thumb.jpg.134c189fa7e43b93f06e680a4fe920c7.jpgIMG_5701.thumb.jpg.3958e99c5ac4bc7a1962a6f786d26257.jpgDSC_3601.thumb.jpg.79e0014b515d1f164c064390e8210de6.jpgDSC_3567.thumb.jpg.1c8dd734f9dd00b4cb70c053771494b5.jpgDSC_3499.thumb.jpg.e92127677000bf84eba3ee7ae097da58.jpg

4 hours ago, ellicat said:

All action at the rig by the sounds of it. Good when all the stars align .
Have a bit of trailer trouble along the way ?

Yeah................. not my trailer ........................my mates boat trailer blew a tyre............... mud guard was destroyed no big deal but you can't have smooth sailing the whole time and it always makes for a good story, and everyone needed to water the horse if you know what I mean

mean

Awesome part of the world up here. Looks like your making the most of it well done. I've  fished that stena Clyde before it's absolutely loaded with fish. Spanish, cobia queenies and goldens to, plus a few suprises. Drop a few micro jigs down next time and you can literally catch as many queenies and Trevor's as u could be bothered catching. We found that a higher speed retrieve up through water columnwould result in Spanish over some of the less desirable species

11 hours ago, jon said:

Drop a few micro jigs down next time and you can literally catch as many queenies and Trevor's as u could be bothered catching. We found that a higher speed retrieve up through water columnwould result in Spanish over some of the less desirable species

Sounds awesome. Yet another for the bucket list. This bucket is getting heavy

On 8/18/2017 at 9:50 PM, jon said:

We found that a higher speed retrieve up through water columnwould result in Spanish over some of the less desirable species

thanks for the tip ........ we found using heavy plastics was working well too ...........I have herd rumours it could be on the move............ I'm hoping its closer the 50k can be torture sometimes.

23 hours ago, Joe Devereux said:

thanks for the tip ........ we found using heavy plastics was working well too ...........I have herd rumours it could be on the move............ I'm hoping its closer the 50k can be torture sometimes.

I'm pretty sure that it's a non operational drill rig that came to darwin to have work done I'd say if it's getting moved it will be for a drill job which will most likely be a long long away. I could be wrong though 

Archived