Just Doing His Own Thing,,,,

Angry51

My next door neighbour asked me recently where do the fish go that die as you hardly ever see them on top of the water. I tried to explain that as they die they are taken by eagles very quickly, however if they have been left to long the eagles are not interested, as in larger fish kills.If we were able to get one of the bass that had just died to the scientist early it would be a help in finding out.

Dino

I read this the other day and was amazed at how stunted it was. My Dad told me that him and a few mates did a tagging trip of bass up the top of the Noosa river back in the 80's. Some of his tags got recaptured over the next decade, and some fish barely grew at all. Bass must be very slow growers, I know I kept two in a tank for a few years and they barely changed, until my barramundi ate them.

If I was to ask anything about bass, I'd have to direct my question @Dinodadog, he seems to have caught a few. You tag bass don't you Dino, is the above story fairly common or do some bass grow faster than others?

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

gold. do you still have a barra?

Nope. Grew from a fingerling into an eating machine of 55cm in about 12 months, and I released it. Very cool fish, heaps of character, and will follow you in the room like a dog. Ravenous though, quickly ate everything else in the tank including two catfish. Live food became too expensive(easily eat up to five goldfish at day), so I started castnetting for poddy mullet every second day and keeping them in a separate tank. That became a chore as he would eat a tanks worth of mullet in 2-3 days. Everything you put in the tank, it would eat. And if it was full, it would simply hold the next live fish in it's mouth(tail hanging out), and swallow it in an hour or so. I started feeding it frogmouth pillies, for convenience, then full size WA pillies, which by this stage I was hand feeding it. Very cool, but every pilly take erupted water out of the tank and onto the floor.

11 minutes ago, Tybo said:

I started feeding it frogmouth pillies, for convenience, then full size WA pillies, which by this stage I was hand feeding it. Very cool, but every pilly take erupted water out of the tank and onto the floor.

Thats awesome. I had a spangled perch that was the same. Smaller bait but he would hold a fish in its mouth until the ones in its stomach was gone. 

One reason the Noosa bass are slow growing is that it's not a very food rich environment unlike dams.

Having said that, there's always quite a variety of growth rates among any bass population.

It would be interesting to run a selective breeding project where you continuously select the brood stock from the fast growing individuals.

On 9/6/2017 at 0:38 PM, Tybo said:

I read this the other day and was amazed at how stunted it was. My Dad told me that him and a few mates did a tagging trip of bass up the top of the Noosa river back in the 80's. Some of his tags got recaptured over the next decade, and some fish barely grew at all. Bass must be very slow growers, I know I kept two in a tank for a few years and they barely changed, until my barramundi ate them.

If I was to ask anything about bass, I'd have to direct my question @Dinodadog, he seems to have caught a few. You tag bass don't you Dino, is the above story fairly common or do some bass grow faster than others?

Some grow faster than others (also depends how good they can hide ) I caught a 58.5cm and 4 years later it was still the same length. I dont think enough recaptures are tested to see how old they are.

Dino

12 hours ago, Dinodadog said:

Some grow faster than others (also depends how good they can hide ) I caught a 58.5cm and 4 years later it was still the same length. I dont think enough recaptures are tested to see how old they are.

amazing no growth in 4 years! 

Why does it depend how good they can hide? 

16 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Sounds like a character Ty. Umm, where did you release him ....... would like to 'say hello' ......... :whistle:

Top of the north pine, I figured he has a taste for bass. ;) And at least that way, some day it had the chance to enter the salt and maybe breed. It might've been the same barra @Luvit caught in the Pine last year(?), though my fish would be 16 years old now, I don't know how long barra live.

6 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I was thinking the same thing and wondering how many of the reported Barra that are caught in the river were once in a fishtank...

I'm sure a lot are. During the drought about a decade ago, the Dowse lagoon at Sandgate almost all but dried up. Council went in to the last pool to try and save the turtles and whatever was still alive. Funny enough, they found a couple of barramundi in there too. Now I know one person that put one in there, but they obviously didn't multiply, so someone else had the same idea too. I'm pretty sure the barramundi that get caught in the Coomera(or Nerang) every now and again are just escapees. Same as the ones in the Brisbane river.

4 hours ago, Tybo said:

I'm pretty sure the barramundi that get caught in the Coomera(or Nerang) every now and again are just escapees. Same as the ones in the Brisbane river.

Food for thought. Like the Barra in the Noosa too. I wonder what global warming will bring? Coral trout standard on cape moreton? Box Jellyfish at Southport. Sooty Grunter in the Logan?

Archived