Prawn Eyeball Ablation

Gad

I was unaware of this practise.

link:  http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-09-08/animal-activists-call-for-prawn-boycott-against-cruel-practices/8886626?WT.ac=localnews_brisbane

Animal activists are urging a boycott of Australia's farmed prawns in a bid to force an end to a procedure that involves slicing and cutting off the eyes of live female prawns to speed up the breeding process.

"They use a scissor-like application, a hot iron, to cut one of the eyes, the eyestalks, off breeding prawns in order to bring them very quickly to maturity. It's quite horrific and its causes them pain," she said…………

Australian Prawn Farmers' Association president Matt West staunchly defended eyestalk ablation as a necessary procedure done in accordance with industry best practice.

……."Every single thing that we do to these animals is designed to reduce stress, including some of the hatcheries are using anaesthesia to reduce stress," he said.

"We do eyestalk ablate, but it's done under very strict conditions and it's very, very different to what's depicted.

Reminds me of a friend that was farming soft shell crabs in Pinkenba. He had invented a machine that could detect when the crabs shed their shells and would harvest them. 

His operation was too expensive and he couldn't compete. He went over to Vietnam to see how his competitors could do this so cheaply and found that they would crush the eyes of the crab and it would induce them to shed their shells.

I'd like to find out more on this and find out if it is really necessary. 

Archived