Tips For Rock Fishing Nsw

kingfisheroo

Hey mate. Haven't fished that specific spot but many others in the area. Really depends - you can target pretty much anything from tailor to tuna and anything in between. At this time of year I'd be targeting tailor or Aussie salmon, maybe have a crack at some bream, drummer or a mulloway. Always check the forecast and conditions before giving it a crack though.

have a good one, look forward to reading the report.

On 9/10/2017 at 8:27 PM, kingfisheroo said:

Can you catch the mulloway of the rocks there or along the beach?

They are lazy fish. Put your baits or lures in deeper holes near the rocks. They mostly stay out of currents and strong water flows. I have had some great success on 5 inch soft plastics at Stradbroke island so I cant see why it would be much difference. I haven't fished the mid coast of NSW so have no specific spots sorry. Good luck and If you get any can you please do a report here so we can all see it? Thanks

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the massive delay but here goes the fishing report.

I fished the south rock ledge of bateau beach for the enitre of this trip. The night we arrived i headed down with a 105 Rooster popper and had a few casts before sundown with one follow and hit on the popper, but no fish landed. The next morning i headed down again with the popper and first cast hooked on to a 56cm Kingfish, these fish have amazing fight. After about 4 casts i hook onto one that was a lot bigger than the first, i personally believe it was 80cm to 1m. Somehow it bit through 80lb leader and broke off with my popper. I only had one popper with me and the fish werent going on stickbaits or metals. After that the weather turned for the worse which meant out of 6 fishing days i was limited to 2. But all in all not bad for first kingfish.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

stunning spot there mate. Nice photos. How did you go with the bowfishing? It's legal in salt water isn't it? 

To put it plain, 99% of any "Bow Fishing" is only allowed in Salt Water (classified as "spear fishing" using its rules in context) , around 1% of useless freshwater fishing allows Carp to be taken or destroyed in some rivers, and at present there are some test locations in NSW with NSW fisheries for freshwater bow fishing but also only Carp.

It is often boring waiting on rocks but it can yield if a school of Bonito or Salmon goes past.

Annoying point is it is worth the waiting "ON ROCKS" if schools happen to pass. often it is only some times of year for targeting a species, if it does not, apart disappointment , there are only particular ways from rocks, and why i will get a SUP or Kayak-SUP sometime.

[ NB Bow fishing is classified as Spearfishing and requires only the basic recreational license but uses Spearfishing rules and  areas for closure and permitted activity ]

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/resources/spearfishing

Rock bow fishing requires finding a perch to stand on at least 3 to 5 meters above sea level (angle allows seeing through the surface wave glare to identify the species and size ! )!

Other equipment to use (because the government regulators have NO IDEA what the tactical physical principals are at using a bow fishing rig and cannot understand a portion of the activity is required on some sort of freshwater fish p/state for both internal and external (foreign) tourism)

Polaroid sunglasses

Binoculars (note: spearfishing does not allow using a "visual aid" - MEANING do not put a scope on a speargun or on a fishing-bow rig)

***100 meters of "80lb-Test" Dacron woven synthetic "line" , not heavy "bowfishing material line (this is a USA "optional (legality)" attachment for FRESHWATER stream fishing to not lose the arrow by being able to "retrieve" it , in small streams it is not required for the depth and short distances fired)". (cleaner killing by better hitting power and travel in saltwater over longer distance AND REQUIRED to prevent de-hooking a large fish from its weight when doing its last run AND SAFER against both wind when handling or readying for shot and to prevent rebound snagging misfire) NOTE: Dacron woven synthetic does not behave the way nylon fishing wire line or nylon leaders behave, it does not tangle by stretch and or abrasion (MUCH SAFER) !

^^^ This last one i would love to shove back up the regulators a***s , it is offensive against people,life , business , economy  for them to have ANY ability to have got that point wrong !!!

There is also a proper case against regulators about bow power being around 45Lb when as much as 80lb(really any) should simply be allowed (generally the maximum ever sold/retailed) , because EITHER  a compound or non compound at that weight rating "can have a considerable portion of its power controlled by the archer", simply less weight settings when it is a compound bow e.g. "up to 30lb controlled(with a 70 - 80 lb compound) and then Maximum (flipped cams to full tension) with a compound" because of the cams , but it is perfectly fine!

If you ever thought that with my 80lb PSE compound i would have fired using the 80lb at those Bonito at 3 yards straight into rocks below everywhere , then you're mad (i can control a bow and i can figure perfectly simply what it does not require and what it does require , not forcing into the cam roll on the bow and getting a "laborers 30lb accuracy" by meeting the cam roll "start") !!!

There is more to the weight, Most bow-fishing is in saltwater so a 20Kg 120cm fish (RE:  E.G. LIMIT SIZES e.g. a Tuna) with soft flesh "ODDLY" requires the arrow to go through the fish "but must also go through around 1 - 2 meters of water resistance to the arrows' kinetic force", of is lost dramatically over that short distance AND two features remain, the weight of the fish pulling out the arrow with soft flesh against line ending , "IF it does go through the fish (required power)" BUT ALSO such a theoretical fish has a run that will shatter off a 15 meter line , in fact for how long such a fish can run for a moment is actually harrowing to ever having another 5 Kg of wet freshwater bow-fishing line THAT SIMPLY WAS NEVER DESIGNED FOR SALTWATER PRACTICES (You use Dacron woven in saltwater)  !!!!

Finally, as i have experimented, a 50 meter shot at such a fish as 120cm 20Kg, was such a near miss the fish did something like 50 meters in around 1 second out of the bay into open ocean, and carried out by the power of 80lb to commit accuracy of trajectory (flat as possible trajectory).

These items show not merely the mismatch of logic to equipment environment and conditions with regulations but the definite total ignorance by legislators whom probably only saw a gun when looking at bows (they can do that but no more effectively finally than a lump of wood for many and logistical reasons!!!).

Long shooting is quite effective and accurate truthfully for many large fish sizes, but because of the very weight of the bow-fishing arrow and the drag of the line and "by the water resistance by travel from both trajectory and reaching angle" it requires a standard hunting bow 60 - 80lb !

Their final mistake on the economy and tourism and treatment of the people is also not having any comprehension that to ATTEMPT to have a good time REQUIRES around thereabout another 1K dollars spent on some seagoing surface craft just to correct the fact the bow fishing rig requires to find and reach a fish when used, AND THAT IS JUST RUDE FROM THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:54 AM, nicephotog said:

To put it plain, 99% of any "Bow Fishing" is only allowed in Salt Water (classified as "spear fishing" using its rules in context) , around 1% of useless freshwater fishing allows Carp to be taken or destroyed in some rivers, and at present there are some test locations in NSW with NSW fisheries for freshwater bow fishing but also only Carp.

It is often boring waiting on rocks but it can yield if a school of Bonito or Salmon goes past.

sounds like a good community service, (browny points scorer) to me :), and keeps your eye in :whistle:

2 hours ago, nicephotog said:

^^^ This last one i would love to shove back up the regulators a***s , it is offensive against people,life , business , economy  for them to have ANY ability to have got that point wrong !!!

I see where you`re coming from, but you do need to settle down.. Laws are laws,work within the frame work

After Saturday, everyone can order and eat their cakes... :lol:

The extremely real worry there is (Gad) that the legislators truly do not and did not comprehend e.g. did not comprehend any of the tiniest problem and methodology with its point when they legislated what they have at present ! 

The equivalent would be something alike giving over rubber band sling shot legislation rulings development to a devout permanently self segregated nun (ABSOLUTELY NO PSYCHOLOGICAL CONNECTION WITH ANY OF IT IN TRUE SANE COHERENCE) !

Everything they modeled was only from USA developed equipment on the market , WHAT IT WAS FOR AND WHY PEOPLE BOUGHT THAT "DEVICE" bears no similar reason in the USA to the Australian legislation !

It frighteningly weighs  pure incompetence !

23 hours ago, nicephotog said:

The extremely real worry there is (Gad) that the legislators truly do not and did not comprehend e.g. did not comprehend any of the tiniest problem and methodology with its point when they legislated what they have at present ! 

The equivalent would be something alike giving over rubber band sling shot legislation rulings development to a devout permanently self segregated nun (ABSOLUTELY NO PSYCHOLOGICAL CONNECTION WITH ANY OF IT IN TRUE SANE COHERENCE) !

Everything they modeled was only from USA developed equipment on the market , WHAT IT WAS FOR AND WHY PEOPLE BOUGHT THAT "DEVICE" bears no similar reason in the USA to the Australian legislation !

It frighteningly weighs  pure incompetence !

ring up /call in and speak to your Federal and State  MPs electoral offices, if you`re a member of a sports (archery) club get them and other clubs to petition /write letter to appropriate Ministers Office. If you don`t tell them, they don`t know.

PS.. the above may make no difference, but at least you`re trying. Venting on a fishing site where 99% of members don`t bowfish does SFA (no offence meant, but fact)

PSS. most of us know how to take in the main points.. no need for over highlighting or Capping for you`re points, it`s actually a turn off to read posts that do have it :)

18 hours ago, nicephotog said:

Finally, as i have experimented, a 50 meter shot at such a fish as 120cm 20Kg, was such a near miss the fish did something like 50 meters in around 1 second out of the bay into open ocean,

It sounds awesome but I have spent a lot of time on rocks fishing and I don't think I have ever seen a fish I could have shot. It might be that I just weren't looking for one. Food for thought. I will keep a keener eye out. Thanks for the info. 

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

It sounds awesome but I have spent a lot of time on rocks fishing and I don't think I have ever seen a fish I could have shot. It might be that I just weren't looking for one. Food for thought. I will keep a keener eye out. Thanks for the info. 

EXACTLY , and, yes there are sometimes fish that close to shore line but that is too rare it is a bit too few p/24 hours and less than acceptable quantity to the support of "how the numbers run" on a bad days fishing AND far less again to accept a 25 yard line as a law , and in fact that point requires severe attention to protest that law!

The explicit bow-fishing line development by USA manufacturers and sportsmen was ***never intended by the manufacturers to restrict anything, ***

it is ***merely an economic point***  of  ***retrieval and reuse***  ***of expensive equipment*** (bow fishing arrows are extremely expensive)!

While implementing lines on arrows did lead to the development of the "anti jamming recoil slider system" , you must understand "the lines existence as part of the rig for bow-fishing is at no time for safety reasons ,of actual fact it makes it MORE DANGEROUS" , while one small useless reason for line length restriction has been thought of by legislators and not USA manufacturers, that being "arrow firing reach", it is considered completely negligible and finally unpractical as the line would need to be around 200 lb test to ensure any success against firing reach but would make firing the arrow accurately and quick enough impossible as it near is with explicit bow-fishing line because it must be used wet and heavy, second , woven Dacron lines are simply more suitable and sensible. The line to not use with bow-fishing equipment is in fact any standard or alike  "nylon fishing wire" because it tangles with usage or stretch stress becoming immensely dangerous. I have fired "woven Dacron line" hundreds of shots and it does not kink , deform or form tangle loops (as opposed to mess tangling that can be avoided every time by a special back and forth "cross winding" of the loops around the reel drum)!

So "Gad"...

If somebody were to legislate  "because semi trailers and prime movers are dangerous and also cars kill too many people so are dangerous too , they must be slowed of their capability by having wheels no more than 15 center-meters maximum diameter" , it's no different to the present legislation of the bow-fishing equipment itself at this present time.

IS THAT ACCEPTABLE FOR ROAD TRANSPORT AT THIS TIME TOO?! , THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING TO NOT MAKE OTHERS AWARE OF AND FAST!?

There is a place called a psychiatric hospital and whatever lawmakers sat the panel and delivered the present legislations' laws on bow-fishing may be in need of assessment in one under schedule! 

12 hours ago, nicephotog said:

So "Gad"...

If somebody were to legislate  "because semi trailers and prime movers are dangerous and also cars kill too many people so are dangerous too , they must be slowed of their capability by having wheels no more than 15 center-meters maximum diameter" , it's no different to the present legislation of the bow-fishing equipment itself at this present time.

IS THAT ACCEPTABLE FOR ROAD TRANSPORT AT THIS TIME TOO?! , THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING TO NOT MAKE OTHERS AWARE OF AND FAST!?

There is a place called a psychiatric hospital and whatever lawmakers sat the panel and delivered the present legislations' laws on bow-fishing may be in need of assessment in one under schedule! 

as previously posted

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:10 PM, Gad said:

ring up /call in and speak to your Federal and State  MPs electoral office, if you`re a member of a sports (archery) club get them and other clubs to petition /write letter to appropriate Ministers Office. If you don`t tell them, they don`t know.

PS.. the above may make no difference, but at least you`re trying. Venting on a fishing site where 99% of members don`t bowfish does SFA (no offence meant, but fact)

PSS. most of us know how to take in the main points.. no need for over highlighting, Capping, underlining you`re points, it`s actually a turn off to read posts that do have it :)

Archived