Trolling Small Lures

Tybo

Over the last year I've amassed a fair few smaller hardbodies that are 50mm and under(tango shads, atomic hardz, crackjacks), with the intention of using them for flathead and bream. I have a few specific setups, running 6lb braid and 10lb leader, which I've been using them on. Casting they seem to be fine, but I've been having real trouble trying to troll these little lures, even at very slow speed. Put any pressure onto them and they just seem to spin and spiral. I thought it may have been knots, or the snaps, I was using; but all tried combinations seem to have the same effect. I have a couple of lighter setups, but are too whippy for trolling; I was just wondering does anyone troll these tiny lures, and if so what is your technique?

ps. I use lures in the 70mm+ range on the same setups and technique, and they troll as expected.

Do your own tests, from the bank or boat, cast out and wind back at different speeds. Some lures just dont like trolling. If you are after flatties size does not matter. When I fished the salt I used to put 2 100mm lures out for flatties, one to go 3 ft and one on the other side to go 6ft, then troll along a dropoff.

Dino

I've used Tango Shads with both 6lb and 8lb braid setups without an issue Ty. Used them the other day and occasionally knocked the boat out of gear but this wasn't because I needed to to make the lure work. If I'm trolling one rod only I like to hold it in my hand and have the rod parallel to the boat. The other day I had two rods out and the one upright in the holder seemed to be swimming fine, so not sure what I'm doing differently to you, apart from possibly speed, but you said you were going very slowly. Perhaps try knocking it out of gear occasionally and see if that helps.

19 hours ago, Dinodadog said:

Do your own tests, from the bank or boat, cast out and wind back at different speeds. Some lures just dont like trolling. If you are after flatties size does not matter. When I fished the salt I used to put 2 100mm lures out for flatties, one to go 3 ft and one on the other side to go 6ft, then troll along a dropoff.

Dino

Thanks Dino, I'll just do that. Over the years I've caught plenty of lizards on the troll with larger lures, so I might just stick with what works.

17 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I've used Tango Shads with both 6lb and 8lb braid setups without an issue Ty. Used them the other day and occasionally knocked the boat out of gear but this wasn't because I needed to to make the lure work. If I'm trolling one rod only I like to hold it in my hand and have the rod parallel to the boat. The other day I had two rods out and the one upright in the holder seemed to be swimming fine, so not sure what I'm doing differently to you, apart from possibly speed, but you said you were going very slowly. Perhaps try knocking it out of gear occasionally and see if that helps.

Thanks Kelvin, I did just this also, but didn't seem to help. I still think speed is the issue, and I'm not getting slow enough, it's a lot easier with smaller tiller motors, than mine.

Archived