Qld Opera House Rules Traps Allowed In Brisbane River?

raymus

I've tried to check if I am allowed to use opera house traps in the Brisbane River and now I am confused. The only mention of opera-house style traps I've found on the fisheries department's website is on this page from May 2016 about fresh water traps. It reads as follows (with the relevant part bolded and highlighted in red):

Funnel traps   

Line drawing of funnel (opera house) trap

Funnel (opera house) trap.    

A funnel trap must be no longer than 70 cm or no more than 50 cm in width or height. The trap entrance must be made of rigid material. If the trap does not have a mesh made of rigid material, the size of the mesh must be no more than 25 mm.

The use of certain funnel traps east of a line following the Great Dividing Range and east of the Gore Highway (Highway 39) is prohibited outside of certain impoundments (see map).

This means that:

• funnel traps with a rigid opening size of up to 5 cm maximum in all its dimensions can be used in all non-tidal waters    
  • funnel traps with a rigid opening size between 5 cm and 10 cm can only be used in listed impoundments east of a line following the Great Dividing Range and south of the Gore Highway (Highway 39) or in non-tidal waters west of the aforementioned boundary.

The page with salt/tidal water rules and regulations does not mention traps at all. So I am very confused. Does that mean that opera-house style traps are only allowed in fresh water impoundments listed and is not allowed in tidal waters at all? Or does it meant that I am allowed to use opera-house style traps in tidal waters without restriction but if I do want to use it in freshwater there are some restrictions?

I am new to angling and am constantly wondering if any of my activities are allowed or will get me in trouble. Is there a rule book I can order somewhere that outlines everything I might need to know at a high level? I understand if ALL the rules with their details were printed  in a book it would be thicker than the bible but it should not be too hard to publish a 20 page pamphlet that outlines the basics with directions on where to learn the specifics.

The regulations regarding funnel traps is for the protection of platypus and turtles, which will easily drown in unregulated traps. As platypus and freshwater turtles do not inhabit slatwater, this is why there wouldn't be any regulations reagrding them With this in mind, I do not believe you can get funnel traps in Qld that aren't built to these specifics. If you do have funnel traps that do not meet these regulations, I pressume they could be used in saltwater as long as they meet 'crab pot' regulations regarding funnel size. Mind you you'd probably only use these traps for catching live bait like mullet or prawns. If left too long, these pots would easily be destroyed by mud crabs or eels in places like the Brisbane river.

Hope this helps. If in doubt ask a question on the Qld Boating and Fisheries page on Facebook, they seem always happy to provide answers.

Personally as they are not specifically covered in the saltwater regs, I would not use them.

Also, I don't think they'd last very long.

Having said that, opera traps would seem to meet the requirements of crab pots so can't see any problems.

As Tybo said, if in doubt, as fisheries.

Thanks so much for your replies, you have been super helpful!

I bought the traps at BCF in Brisbane so I expect that they do meet the regulations about dimensions etc, but I was unsure about what is considered safe/appropriate use. I'll check with the Facebook pages you mentioned if I have questions.

21 hours ago, raymus said:

Does that mean that opera-house style traps are only allowed in fresh water impoundments listed and is not allowed in tidal waters at all?

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/rules-regulations/crabs-and-lobsters

Fisheries have a lot of information on their site but I often find it difficult to navigate as there is soooo much information in there. 

A recent example was that we wanted to check we were doing the right thing in yellow zones. You can only use one hook in yellow zones and we wanted to be sure that a gang hook was considered 1 hook. It turns out is is but it took me a very long time to find this info. Eventually I found a great little fact sheet so it was there just hard to find. 

What are you wanting to catch in your opera house nets? I have used them for red claw in the dams but the mesh on mine is too large to catch prawns in the salt. 

21 hours ago, raymus said:

I understand if ALL the rules with their details were printed  in a book it would be thicker than the bible but it should not be too hard to publish a 20 page pamphlet that outlines the basics with directions on where to learn the specifics.

good call. I would buy this

On 9/13/2017 at 7:18 AM, Drop Bear said:

What are you wanting to catch in your opera house nets? I have used them for red claw in the dams but the mesh on mine is too large to catch prawns in the salt. 

I was hoping for prawns to use as live bait. I guess the mesh on my opera house trap is also too big so it is probably of little use. I dropped  one of those box style funnel traps with a small opening and small mesh in the river at low tide. When I retrieved the trap at next low tide was empty. The cat food I had placed as bait had washed away.

I've got lots to learn.

15 minutes ago, raymus said:

I dropped  one of those box style funnel traps with a small opening and small mesh in the river at low tide

These small mesh ones will work for prawns. The ones I own have a little pocket for the food to go in so it wont wash away. prawns will go in pretty quick. I have found that they like to live in weed if you can find some or on mangrove roots etc.  Also don't discount "jellies" that is small prawns. If you get a small hook, say size 4 -8 you can put one or more of these little prawns on there. They work really well for bream, whiting and yellow ear mullet. Night time is also good. I have been wading in a small estuary casting lures and on dark watch in torchlight millions of prawns emerge from the sand I'd been standing on for hours. but in saying that they will go into traps during the day. 

This forum a great place to ask questions. there are so many people here that have heaps more knowledge than me and are more than happy to answer your questions. If you have specific area or specific fish you want to target let us know and I reckon we can get you going. 

Thanks for sharing your knowledge @Drop Bear I will make another attempt at catching some prawn. One of the things I would do differently is that I threw my trap over the barrier wall away from the mangrove roots. By barrier wall I mean these cages filled with rocks that are there to preserve the bank of the river right next to the ferry terminal in Orleigh Park at the west side of West End. I will try leaving the trap near the mangrove roots protected from the strong currents.

Just now, raymus said:

I will try leaving the trap near the mangrove roots protected from the strong currents

Sounds perfect. Also it doesn't need 12 hours. just like 30 mins can be enough then chuck it out again. Also try any little creeks or storm water drains too. The reality is that even if you go to extremely remote places and do everything right you can go home with nothing to show. I threw lures at snags for 2 days in remote PNG for donuts, they were there just not interested. For me fishing needs persistence and although I do like to get a feed, I enjoy discovering the environment around me. I get a unique insight into what is there that others may have no idea exists. There is so much life in our river and west end it is teaming with fish.

Another thing you might like to try is getting a crab pot and chucking it in around the mangroves for a few hours while you have a BBQ. I prefer the few days before the full moon but any time is ok. Big Brisbane river Muddies are awesome. If you are around Wynnum send me a PM and I can lend you one. 

As @Drop Bear mentioned, the best place to probably use these style pots would be a the outlet of your local stormwater drain. Usually on the creek side of these is a hole that forms over time, which is a haven for small bait. Kind of bit like this(though these are a bit compacted, and probably don't have a deep hole that will hold bait):

lyttonrdhemmantds.jpg.1896efeaf87a32b163dcbcc78999f9fc.jpg

Also, to stop small bait falling out the bottom why not cut a layer of shade cloth and zip tie it just to the bottom? I'm forever modifying my crab pots(within regulation) to improve how the pot works. I'm also not a fan of cat food as bait, it's never worked for me. I'd use dry dog food, bread or raw chicken wings. Putting it into an old stocking first will also make it last longer(especially the bread). Good luck!

On 9/15/2017 at 1:26 PM, Tybo said:

why not cut a layer of shade cloth and zip tie it just to the bottom

Hmmmm interesting. I find my crabs tuck into the bottom corners of the pot and can cut/push through the mesh here. A bit of shade cloth might protect this... hmmm. 

As for bait the local butcher sells me chicken frames for 50c. I can get 2 big baits with this so pretty cheap and works a treat.

BTW lovely photo of your fishing spot Tybo haha. reminds me of when I pulled out some pots at a local creek/drain with my sister. the tide and wind had pushed rubbish and debris into a huge raft above the pot and looked nasty. Oh well more crab for me :)

Archived