Short Netting

ellicat

Got a message from  @Sparksie last week to meet up today at the Port ramp for a spin in his kayak upgrade - a 3.7m tinnie with 15hp. Being new to trailer reversing, I had a little chuckle when he said he was after my tips on doing it. I told him the only thing I know - to use the brake before the car gets wet. He had no dramas reversing at all (under threat I was videoing).

The start of the fishing with plastics was quite slow and @benno573 was texting to see how we were going on such a fine day whilst he was plugging numbers in an office. I gave him this update of the feed we were gathering to make him feel better.

WP_20170915_10_23_58_Pro.thumb.jpg.8a3242c699906b563d40727de9d7c0cf.jpg

A move was made just in time for the tide change. Sparksie was soon onto a decent bream then I added one and then we sent a few back. A squire showed itself - promising, but no more showed up.

sb.thumb.jpg.e2fede6641e93774e0833925ba79ef98.jpg

We sent Benno a picture of the squire but he was unimpressed, responding with "Where's the rest of it ?"

WP_20170915_11_47_32_Pro.thumb.jpg.219d6dfe2b4aa1429646020e8103e776.jpg

After a while I got sick of the bream and decided to catch some flatties. I brought in 3 while Sparksie watched on in amazement. The 1st just over 40, the 2nd just under 40 and the 3rd was 60cm when it originally surfaced. However due to sparksie's kayak pedigree the landing net was one with a very short handle. The big girl was pretty frisky and avoided the short netting attempts on about ten occasions. By the time she was finally netted she only measured in the low 50's.

sf.thumb.jpg.59b9e2d74193fe0d49fbcfb0cea5a19a.jpg

With the wind on the up we headed back in satisfied with another beaut day on the water done and dusted.

15 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Thanks for the report @ellicatLooks like you didn't have to go too far for a feed. Brian, you know that @Sparksie is only interested in your buns! Good to see a few flattie around, although it is amazing how they can shrink between when they surface and when you get them on the brag mat. Bait or plastics?

You know it. Brian has the best buns in Brisbane. All bait action. 

15 hours ago, ellicat said:

Got a message from  @Sparksie last week to meet up today at the Port ramp for a spin in his kayak upgrade - a 3.7m tinnie with 15hp. Being new to trailer reversing, I had a little chuckle when he said he was after my tips on doing it. I told him the only thing I know - to use the brake before the car gets wet. He had no dramas reversing at all (under threat I was videoing).

The start of the fishing with plastics was quite slow and Benno was texting to see how we were going on such a fine day whilst he was plugging numbers in an office. I gave him this update of the feed we were gathering to make him feel better.

WP_20170915_10_23_58_Pro.thumb.jpg.8a3242c699906b563d40727de9d7c0cf.jpg

A move was made just in time for the tide change. Sparksie was soon onto a decent bream then I added one and then we sent a few back. A squire showed itself - promising, but no more showed up.

sb.thumb.jpg.e2fede6641e93774e0833925ba79ef98.jpg

We sent Benno a picture of the squire but he was unimpressed, responding with "Where's the rest of it ?"

WP_20170915_11_47_32_Pro.thumb.jpg.219d6dfe2b4aa1429646020e8103e776.jpg

After a while I got sick of the bream and decided to catch some flatties. I brought in 3 while Sparksie watched on in amazement. The 1st just over 40, the 2nd just under 40 and the 3rd was 60cm when it originally surfaced. However due to sparksie's kayak pedigree the landing net was one with a very short handle. The big girl was pretty frisky and avoided the short netting attempts on about ten occasions. By the time she was finally netted she only measured in the low 50's.

sf.thumb.jpg.59b9e2d74193fe0d49fbcfb0cea5a19a.jpg

With the wind on the up we headed back in satisfied with another beaut day on the water done and dusted.

Great weather for the time we were out there. Thanks Elli for coming out. Yeah, little more practice should hopefully mean i don't take up too much ramp. Next time we'll clean up more flatties in boat passage.

Archived