Offshore Thursday - report added

kmcrosby78

Taking dad's boat for a much overdue spin on Thursday with two of my brothers. Not sure if we'll leave from Manly or Cleveland yet but will be going through SPB hopefully around sunrise and at this stage will be trying the Waverider Buoy and then fish around the Cathedrals area (for the first time) to see if we can find some snaps, pearlies, parrot & trag (or whatever else we can manage). Anyone else going to be out there?

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, Old Scaley said:

Hmmm, and I thought this was a fishing site. Might need to be careful what I post in case it gets misconstrued and I end up on an unintended outing.......

Good luck tomorrow @kmcrosby78

I'm not sure what you mean? Anyway, I let @tugger know I ran out of time and he can keep my ball (sinkders)  until next time ......... :whistle:

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Hope you smashed em???

Smashed myself ........ had a couple of days off work with a crook back two weeks ago and have a feeling it's going to be a bit tender tomorrow. Anyway, back to the fishing and we got 4 nice dolphinfish at the Wave Rider Buoy. Was our first time fishing around the Cathedrals area - we marked a few spots but didn't have enough marks (or confidence) to do longer drifts and struggled down the bottom. 

Will post a pic tomorrow - shattered!!!

10 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Smashed myself ........ had a couple of days off work with a crook back two weeks ago and have a feeling it's going to be a bit tender tomorrow. Anyway, back to the fishing and we got 4 nice dolphinfish at the Wave Rider Buoy. Was our first time fishing around the Cathedrals area - we marked a few spots but didn't have enough marks (or confidence) to do longer drifts and struggled down the bottom. 

Will post a pic tomorrow - shattered!!!

Dr orders an early knock off today followed by a direct injection 6 pack of your choice. Just standard recovery stuff really haha

8 minutes ago, christophagus said:

Dr orders an early knock off today followed by a direct injection 6 pack of your choice. Just standard recovery stuff really haha

I'm a school teacher on holidays Chris so every days an early knock off and a six pack ....... especially when the Broncos are playing to get into the GF ;) Thankfully the back isn't too bad this morning - just need to keep stretching it (and lose some weight ...... and build my core ....... and stop slouching on the couch .......). On a serious note though I've had back issues for about 6 years from overdoing it on work around the house/yard (digging palm tree roots out, etc) and the thought of not being able to fish offshore when I'm 60 I think has finally kicked me into gear.

3 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

On a serious note though I've had back issues for about 6 years from overdoing it on work around the house/yard (digging palm tree roots out, etc) and the thought of not being able to fish offshore when I'm 60 I think has finally kicked me into gear.

same boat for me... sorry about the pun...

• kmcrosby78 changed the title to Offshore Thursday - report added

As mentioned two of my brothers, one nephew and I took Dad's boat for a spin offshore yesterday. Decided to head through the Rous Channel for the first time, leaving from Manly, and all went well, out through the bar (not quite as early as I would have liked but so be it). Stopped to try to get some livies but mostly small reef fish apart from a bonito and my brother got a large yakka on a slug (while I was working the bait jig).

Went straight out to the Waverider (well, once we realised my marks were old and then updated them ....) to find one boat spot locked just above it and another boat drifting past. Was our first time out there and very enjoyable seeing all the dolphinfish swimming/jumping around. We saw a very large (estimated 150-200kg but we're novices) marlin chasing the dolphinfish on the surface which was VERY cool!!  We tried a variety of options - cubed pillies amongst berley, a soft plastic, and a slab of bonito but no reward for around 20-30 minutes so we decided to throw the live yakka in and bingo, straight away a good sized dolphinfish was on and landed - about 95cm prior to going into the esky. After that they went quiet again so off we went to check out the Cathedrals area for the first time.

Having only generic internet marks we sounded around and found a few isolated lumps and tried short drifts but couldn't get anything of note. Unfortunately the short drifts meant my floatlining technique (my brothers were dropping paternosters down) was limiting my chances. We had a bait jig in the water whilst drifting and got another yakka plus a couple of grinners so with the bottom fishing being slow we went back to the Waverider. Strangely they wouldn't hit the yakka but we got three more on slabs of bonito (2) and a whole pilly (1).

There were LOTS of whales around all day and some came right up next to the Waverider buoy (including one that scared the CARP out of us) and we thought they may have been rubbing up against the rope???  Got some great footage of 3-5 whales cruising past us really close (scared my young nephew). Also had another two come straight at us from the other direction and go straight under us (and not real deep ......). Very cool but also slightly worrying.

59c506094ae4c_WaveriderWhales.jpg.721d7bca17730915bf1923e24bdf2eaa.jpg

Also had a very large school of dolphins swim by/with us and got some good footage of those also. I'll have to see about putting both lots of footage up. So all in all despite the lack of reef fishing success we had a fun day out. Was my first time seeing a marlin in real life, the whale action was spectacular and these were the biggest dolphinfish I'd caught. Just need to spend a bit more time out there to get to know the area better and put a few more marks into the sounder so we can drift for longer. Going on a charter with John Gooding (Outlaw Charters) in January so hopefully learn more then.

59c50714b8363_21Sep2017Dolphinfish.jpg.37a44b8a33ef8a3e4790a4f468954e4a.jpg59c50730db12c_Dollies21Sep2017.jpg.9196f677cb2a03efae1e790ae569a91b.jpg59c507477ebc8_LiamGeorgeSep2017.jpg.a7a9ac1b5a88d6e9960301dec0a9cbe9.jpg

Great read mate. In my books you're doing very well. Those Dollies are a good size.

I've found the Catherdrals to be very hit and miss myself. Only random Snaps and Pearlies.

Middle reef on the other hand has been really rewarding for reefies lately, anchor and burley there next time its quiet and you'll be rewarded. Always have a floater out there!!

Archived