First Time Beginner. What Gear Should I Get?

CBR Rookie

Hi all,

I'd like to get into fishing and I am wondering what rod and reel I should get? I'm keen to fish on our family camping trips, which are usually coastal but sometimes inland close to a river bank.

Preferably looking to cast off of the rocks or off a dock, but sometimes I will need to settle for casting straight off of the beach.

Is there any one rod and reel that would cover this (incl fresh and salt water)? What about lures v.s. bait? 

I'm happy to spend a bit of money if need be (for a decent rod that I can hold onto for a good time).

Not looking to catch anything in particular, just looking for a good trustee all-rounder.

Leigh

P.s. I am seriously a newbie. Any good tips or guides for first timers would be great. Thanks in advance.

54 minutes ago, CBR Rookie said:

.s. I am seriously a newbie. Any good tips or guides for first timers would be great. Thanks in advance.

Gday Leigh,

Fishing is awesome. I hope you get to like it as much as I do.

I'm pretty rubbish at model numbers etc but many here can be more specific. 

Personally I like a Spinning reel and about a 6-7 foot rod as an all rounder. Try to get something that is rated for about 4kg. Keeping it light is much nicer to use and the fish seem to be more open to taking your bait/lure. 

There are so many reels to choose from and most are really good now but a great entry level reel is a Shimano Sienna. A size 3000 or 4000 would cover pretty much every option. They work really well and don't cost too much. 

I don't really want to comment on what rod to buy as I am not pro at this and dont really know prices but something 6 - 7 foot that matches your reel would be good. 

There are basically 2 types of fishing lines to choose from; Mono (Mono-filament) or braid. Personally I would steer you to Mono first as knots are easier to tie and you can simply slip on a sinker, tie on a hook and add some bait  and you are fishing. 

I would recommend a visit to your local tackle shop. If you go with a budget in mind and are honest with them about being a novice I am sure they will fit you out with a package you can afford and will catch fish. There are lots of rods to choose from but I would start with something unbreakable rather than something high spec to begin with and team it up with a spinning reel like the one @DropBear recommended, and using nylon as he suggested. Plenty of time to upgrade once you work out what sort of fishing you want to concentrate on.

Good luck and don't forget to post your adventures no matter how successful or not successful you are.

Welcome to the site, CBR

being completely new to fishing, getting answers for what you are asking requires some pre understanding of what suggestions may come your way.

One of links below (1st) gives an average idea of reel/rod/line to fish targeted.

https://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/blog/how-to-choose-the-best-fishing-reel-size-for-your-needs-spin/

2nd link gives a basic idea on rods

https://www.jarviswalker.com.au/view/choosing-equipment/buyers-guides/choosing-equipment-rod-buyer-s-guide.html

now into the equation comes cost, what are you prepared to spend.                                         

An outlay of $150-$250 will give you a good quality, economical, but bang for bucks entry level combo, eg: Shimano sonic pro rod matched with a Shimano Sedona or Sahara reel, or you could go a $300-$400 combo or even a higher end combo.

I only used Shimano brand as an example as I have more of them in my collection, but any decent brand will have their ranges.

I see you are in ACT so would strongly suggest to go to one of your local tackle stores. Bit hard to suggest one as i am in QLD but my brother in law who is in Pambula always raves about Wheelers fishing and outdoors in Queenbean

Some of the big chains are good but it depends on the  individual managers and their staff. Some have no idea and others go for the hard sell.

I would keep away from the high end gear such as carbon fibre rods for the start as they are quite unforgiving of abuse such as highsticking or even standing on.

I reckon you would be better off starting off with some of the Jarvis walker gear until you get used to setting drag pressures and playing fish.

If you wish to purchase on line I can recommend Dinga who are based in sydney and if you sign up with them freight is free. Very comprehensive website with some very reasonably priced outfits on special.

Cheers

Ray

Id recommend the Shimano Sienna as well. I still use mine and have done for 5+ years, believe me, I have thrashed them a fair bit.

4000 sized reel with 10lb line will cover a vast majority of species to target. 3-5kg 6-7ft rod and you're good to go!

If you're willing to spend a little bit more, go for the Shimano Sahara, very nice reel and great value. best of luck!!

Archived