Somerset Dam Social 27th To 29th Oct

tugger

Heading up to Somerset Dam for a weekend camping and fishing staying at Lake Somerset Holiday Park. If you would like to join some AFO crew for a weekend these trips are fun we will be doing our usual cook up on the saturday night in the camp ovens and rotiseries.

Reply here if you would like to know more as we will plan the weekend from this post. I will be taking a gazebo for our community day camp and this camp ground you can set up caravans through to tents or swags.

This is just under 4 weeks to go before we get up there looking forward to catching up with the AFO crew.

4 hours ago, Luvit said:

I'll keep this in mind to see if I can make it. Might have to break out the kayak or bring the boat with outriggers for trolling :fishing2:

Its a nice dam to explore with the big boats i am going to take up a 100 shrimp live for the weekend 

Just on 3 weeks to go before we are out there at Somerset i will be cooking some chooks for dinner on saturday then for desert i will be doing my world famous butterscotch pudding in the camp oven. We will have some young adults in our crewwith my kids in there late teens bringing some mates so we will have the ski gear with us . A few boats will be skiing through the middle of the day in our crew i will see if i can still get up on the ski could be hard with the ballast i now carry in front of me. Early mornings and late arvos i will target the timbers in the dam for bass and yellaswe should have a freindly comp to see who can pull the biggest fish for the weekend.

23 hours ago, Luke Landrunner said:

Make sure photos and video make the report Mark. 

Cannot make it myself, enjoy !

There is always plenty of socials Luke shame you will miss this 1 the weekends up at the dams are always fun. I will take enough photos for a good report hopefully i am in 1 piece afterwards 

I believe there is no boating permit required any more on the dam which is a bonus these days i hope i can find some monster yellabelly which i have encounted on this dam before. Just a little over 2 weeks to go till i can relax around a campfire again it is good for the sole.

I'm really hoping I can make this one. Keen as. I dont have a 4 stroke but Wivenhoe is an option now if you do have one.  

I'd love to get back in the sweet water. It has been so long. 

http://www.seqwater.com.au/recreation/boating

Boating permits are no longer required at Seqwater lakes. We discontinued boating permits for Lake Wivenhoe and Lake Somerset on 1 August 2017.

Restricted power boating at Lake Wivenhoe

Restricted power boating has been permitted on Lake Wivenhoe since December 2013, as a result of our recreation review.

• Vessels must be low-emission outboards/engines. This limits motors to four strokes or direct fuel-injected two strokes.
  • Vessels are not to exceed 6 knots. If your vessel is on the plane, you’re going too fast!

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I'm really hoping I can make this one. Keen as. I dont have a 4 stroke but Wivenhoe is an option now if you do have one.  

I'd love to get back in the sweet water. It has been so long. 

http://www.seqwater.com.au/recreation/boating

Boating permits are no longer required at Seqwater lakes. We discontinued boating permits for Lake Wivenhoe and Lake Somerset on 1 August 2017.

Restricted power boating at Lake Wivenhoe

Restricted power boating has been permitted on Lake Wivenhoe since December 2013, as a result of our recreation review.

• Vessels must be low-emission outboards/engines. This limits motors to four strokes or direct fuel-injected two strokes.
  • Vessels are not to exceed 6 knots. If your vessel is on the plane, you’re going too fast!

You can have any motor on somerset dam your boat is perfect for where we are going Robbie

Our German visitors head home on Saturday so I doubt I would get there:no:

It seems every year the season kicks off every man and there dog want to visit and weekends just keep getting eaten up. 

Hope all that attend have an epic time. You could have enticed me more Mark with Hussar :drooling: it's not the trophy fish that everyone goes for, but for me it's up there with the best. Having the Red Emperor for dinner tonight, looking forward to tasting it. 

On 10/23/2017 at 7:31 AM, Luvit said:

You could have enticed me more Mark with Hussar :drooling: it's not the trophy fish that everyone goes for, but for me it's up there with the best. Having the Red Emperor for dinner tonight, looking forward to tasting it. 

Yep I love the Hussar too. I wish we got them down this way. I feal that Moses are a good substitute. 

On 23/10/2017 at 7:31 AM, Luvit said:

Our German visitors head home on Saturday so I doubt I would get there:no:

It seems every year the season kicks off every man and there dog want to visit and weekends just keep getting eaten up. 

Hope all that attend have an epic time. You could have enticed me more Mark with Hussar :drooling: it's not the trophy fish that everyone goes for, but for me it's up there with the best. Having the Red Emperor for dinner tonight, looking forward to tasting it. 

The other good thing about hussar is there is no shortage of them and are very easy to catch i think they are also underated

22 minutes ago, Luke Landrunner said:

Was going to cook up the Red Emperor to my visiting brothers and sisters in law but got side tracked with other cook ups. Atleast they got a good feed of coral trout. 

Better eat it soon....

It fed a lot of people, 6 last night, your family (? how many) and of course the shark took its share.

Great weekend away the weather was tops the dam was warm at 28 degrees so I had a few swims to cool off on the sunny days out there. Friday was a big turn out as by sunset we had 20 campers in our group and the drinks around the campfire begun I also cooked up a mad feed of coral trout for everyone. 

Saturday we got out for a fish and set the opera house pots for the redclaw but by lunchtime it was time to head in and start up the fire so we had a good bed of coals for the big camp oven cook up. We had 4 camp ovens going and a rotisserie as well over the coals and by dark there was a huge feed of roast chicken,  pork, lamb and veges.

I then got my butterscotch pudding baking in the camp oven straight after dinner and Lance prepped  a beaut pavlova with fresh strawberries and whipped cream and desert was served. Dinner was all dusted and we got back into the festivities around the campfire with plenty of fishing tales told long in to the night.

We checked the pots in the morning for only a few redclaw caught and had another fish before heading back in and breaking up camp. We are looking at febuary for our next wanderers camp most likely down the gold coast chasing mackerel offshore and some flathead and whiting on the broadwater so keep a lookout early next year for this 1.

2 hours ago, tugger said:

Great weekend away the weather was tops the dam was warm at 28 degrees so I had a few swims to cool off on the sunny days out there. Friday was a big turn out as by sunset we had 20 campers in our group and the drinks around the campfire begun I also cooked up a mad feed of coral trout for everyone. 

Gutted I couldnt make it in the end. No coral trout for me...  I'm glad you had a great turnout and sounds like a great time . Really looking forward to Gold Coast :) Thanks for the report.

Archived