Snapper Fishing Set Up

kdaws5

Hey guys, I am sort of new to snapper fishing. I have been looking at a few forums and websites, and have come up with some ideas on a good rod an reel to catch some snapper.

First idea: http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Shimano-Sedona-Starlo-Classix-Spinning-Combo/389436?isvariant=true 
On the shimano website I saw they were recommending a set up similar to this.

Second idea: http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Shimano-Raider-Spin-Rods/390796?isvariant=true and http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Shimano-Sedona-Spinning-Reels-4000-XGFI/530344

The shimano website recommended that the most, although that reel was slightly different to what they had listed but apparently the raider is the best rod.

I am open to most ideas guys and gals as I said I am still fairley new and I would preferably like to stick under the 250$ range. Cheers. :)

Shimano also produce reasonable fibreglass snapper rods that could fit the bill, and the $$ saved on the rod could go into upgrading to a Sahara reel that would also fit the bill. plenty of capable options in the price range you have :)

12 minutes ago, MarkA said:

Are you wanting to use the rod for plastics or bait? In the bay or offshore? 

20 minutes ago, Gad said:

Shimano also produce reasonable fibreglass snapper rods that could fit the bill, and the $$ saved on the rod could go into upgrading to a Sahara reel that would also fit the bill. plenty of capable options in the price range you have :)

Thanks for the replies guys. I am willing to try both ways. when going out I will take some bait and plastics to see how I go and what works best for the day and I will mainly be using offshore as I will be going out on my boat. :)

Either of those would work fine mate. Although I'd get in touch with @Angus and see if he has any discounted Nordic Stage rods left. If you can pick one of those up for $50 you are laughing (you'd probably want the 8-16lb Favourite off the top of my head) and then you'd have plenty of money left for a reel - could probably pick up a Stradic, a 5000 size would be a good option and would prove a versatile combo.

9 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Either of those would work fine mate. Although I'd get in touch with @Angus and see if he has any discounted Nordic Stage rods left. If you can pick one of those up for $50 you are laughing (you'd probably want the 8-16lb Favourite off the top of my head) and then you'd have plenty of money left for a reel - could probably pick up a Stradic, a 5000 size would be a good option and would prove a versatile combo.

Thanks mate. A few favourites left amd some other good deals as well.

Ill put a post up once confirmed but there should be a clearance over a full weekend coming up in November. All stock new and old will be available.

Angus

I use to target snapper when I was in Victoria on bait. Up here I don't target them at all, I believe @Luke Landrunner is just winding me up as a joke :ausflag: because I let them go or give them away. On the other hand one of my sons just bought a new rod and reel combination and no longer needs his Stradic  FJ5000  and said he will sell it. If you are interested in it let me know and i'll send photo's. It has upgraded carbon drags and is in very good condition, he is looking for $150 for it.

I think the challenge you have is trying to get one rod that will work for plastics and bait. I sometimes use a rod for bait fishing that is more suited to plastics. Yes, it works but just doesn't feel right and vice versa. For bait fishing all you need is any of the ugly stick type rods. You could pick one up second hand very cheap. Then you could look for a good quality second hand plastics rod or wait for @Angus to have the clearance sale on the Nordic stage rods.

I have a Raider that I hardly use and a Nordic Stage rod that I bought brand new from Angus last Xmas for $50 and I use it all the time. You can't go past that reel @Luvit is selling for the price and you could use that on both rods. Before you know it you will have a room full of rods like the rest of us tragics and still thinking you need just one more. 

Good luck.  Look forward to your reports.

@Old Scaley Thank you so much mate I definitely will hang on for the sale on the nordics from the reviews all you guys are going on about hahaha. I must admit I didn't know what to expect coming onto this forum most forums are full or stuck up blokes. But no joke all of you are a bunch of top notch blokes and can't go wrong with this forum. Most down to earth blokes. Thanks heaps for all your recommendations you guys are absolute legends!! Keep the ideas flowing anyone else who wants to chip in but thanks heaps @Old Scaley, @Luvit, @Gad, @MarkA, @kmcrosby78, @Angus, @Luke Landrunner.

23 minutes ago, kdaws5 said:

I didn't know what to expect coming onto this forum most forums are full or stuck up blokes.

It took a while but we managed to get rid of 'most' of the vermin from the site ....... ;) Are you Brisbane based mate? If so try to come to a Wanderer's Social sometime as you'll meet a great crew of people, develop friendships, learn valuable tips, eat a good feed and if history is a good indicator, drink way too many drinks .... :)  There's one coming up at Somerset Dam and there are normally a few during the year at places like Wave Break Island and Blakesley's Anchorage (Nth Straddie).

Took a look at your profile and saw you're in North Lakes, so answered my own question :) Also noticed your avatar - I feel dirty ...... I've been helping a Magpies fan ..... kmcrosby78 over and out ......... (just joking).

With regards to @Old Scaley's comment about bait/plastics rods, it possibly depends on the style of bait fishing you're going to do and depth of water. If you're offshore (as you've suggested) and floatlining (as opposed to dropping down a paternoster) then using braid (20lb will stop a fair proportion of the snapper around here) is an option. Of course, you can go heavier. And of course you can also use mono - in which case perhaps having a second rod for this purpose might be worth looking at, like an Ugly Stik.

2 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

It took a while but we managed to get rid of 'most' of the vermin from the site ....... ;) Are you Brisbane based mate? If so try to come to a Wanderer's Social sometime as you'll meet a great crew of people, develop friendships, learn valuable tips, eat a good feed and if history is a good indicator, drink way too many drinks .... :)  There's one coming up at Somerset Dam and there are normally a few during the year at places like Wave Break Island and Blakesley's Anchorage (Nth Straddie).

Oh heck yeah mate. Would absolutely love to go. I love Somerset, been there many times. Also gotta love getting on the pi** hahahaha. That sounds like a good day I would definitely be down. Absolute bunch of legends on this forum. Can’t thank yous enough. I am keen to meet most of you too. I am in Brisbane actually. North brissie over Petrie way. Would definitely be down to meet a few of you legends.

Sounds good mate I think I will wait for those nordics though @Luvit. @kmcrosby78 I didn't see your second post last night, but yeah thanks heaps for the info I am taking that on board for when I go fishing in my boat (no pun intended). Nah but thanks heaps mate yeah over north lakes way. I do spend some time at the sunshine coast though too so I move around a bit. Mainly in north lakes though. And hahaha pies are the best mate. Brisbane close second though. Who do you go for?

Archived