The Right Boat.

Drop Bear

Hey,

I am wanting to upgrade my little tinny to a... bigger tinny...

I have an electric motor, live bait tank and sounder I was going to put on my last disastrous project.

What I would like is something around 4.5m and I would like to put a new 70 hp Yam 4 stroke. I will be using it for bay fishing, beach launching from straddie, crabbing and trips to Wooli etc. I'm keen to just keep it a tiller steer but want to have a large fuel tank and carpeted floors and comfortable seating but that is it. Really bare bones. 

I quite like the Sea Jay 4.68 Avenger

http://www.seajayboats.com.au/the-4-68-avenger-sports-now-joins-the-4-28-and-4-48-as-a-new-avenger-model-and-another-in-the-adrenalin-hull-line-up/

Does anyone know this and do they think it would work?

Is there a chance I could get a great old tinny and add my stuff to it?

Does anyone know a good manufacturer that I could try?

Thanks DB

Hi @DropBear. I have had a sea jay 4.35 Territory since I bought it brand new in 2006. I have been really happy with it. There are larger models as well http://www.seajayboats.com.au/models/open-boat/territory/ but I think the max hp is 60 although you could easily get it surveyed for your 70 if you have your heart set on that. They are a well made tinny that can take some punishment and have lots of deck space and under floor storage. You might pick up a good second hand one for a reasonable price.

I am sure that others will have some good advice. Good luck with the search.

I'd go a deeper hull if I was you Rob. Perhaps see if you can tee up a session with @Old Scaley to get a feel for the Sea Jay's - I haven't been in it but think it would be right up your alley (you'd just want bigger). You could also do worse than drop into a boat dealership to look at some boats and chat to someone - I know Matt at John Crawford Marine and he'd give you great advice if you were able to grab him. I'd be looking to get the best quality hull you can (even if a little older) as it will then serve you well for years to come. The one above only has 2mm sides as an example.

On 10/19/2017 at 9:33 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

I'd go a deeper hull if I was you Rob. Perhaps see if you can tee up a session with @Old Scaley to get a feel for the Sea Jay's - I haven't been in it but think it would be right up your alley (you'd just want bigger). You could also do worse than drop into a boat dealership to look at some boats and chat to someone - I know Matt at John Crawford Marine and he'd give you great advice if you were able to grab him. I'd be looking to get the best quality hull you can (even if a little older) as it will then serve you well for years to come. The one above only has 2mm sides as an example.

Great thanks. I am just up the road from Tingalpa so will head there now. 

Um is 2mm good thin? what is good thickness aluminium?

They both look pretty good units @Drop Bear. My only comment would be that I have had tinnie with both bench seats and pedestal seats and I really couldn't go back to bench seats. Not so much from a comfort point of view, but just because of the versatility and the extra space they give you.  If I were choosing between those two boats I would go for the better motor on the first one.

48 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

They both look pretty good units @Drop Bear. My only comment would be that I have had tinnie with both bench seats and pedestal seats and I really couldn't go back to bench seats. Not so much from a comfort point of view, but just because of the versatility and the extra space they give you.  If I were choosing between those two boats I would go for the better motor on the first one.

Thanks mate, Good info. I plan to rebuild it to suit and want to make sure that the one I have can fit the 70hp 4stroke yamaha I really want. 

2 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

My only comment would be that I have had tinnie with both bench seats and pedestal seats and I really couldn't go back to bench seats.

Um... can I convert it? I had always assumed that the bench was part of the boat build and was required to hold it together? 

I really like the new Sea Jays set out with the pedestal seats... 

Pretty handy to have a 80 litre underfloor fuel tank - bit of range there ...... :)   How much would one be with a new 70hp 4-stroke Yamaha Rob? The Allycraft seems a good package but I haven't got my eye in on prices for these size boats/packages. Be interested to know how much more it is for this brand new option. Something to consider (I'm sure you have) is the fuel tanks and whether some of these 2nd hand ones have underfloor tanks or just 24l portable tanks. I guess it then comes down to where you want to go and how much fuel you'll need.

No price on the ad, @DropBear. Have you asked for a quote yet. I bought mine from same dealership and they are good to deal with so maybe give them a call or drop in. I can see you owning that boat before Christmas. One tiny criticism is the positioning of the plastic rod holder over the top of the sounder mounting plate. I have same set up and could not mount the sounder bracket on the plate because the rod holder was in the way. So if they are getting the boat from the factory, maybe ask them to move that holder back a bit. I ended up mounting the sounder on the side deck which means it cops a bit of spray.

On 10/28/2017 at 9:22 AM, samsteele115 said:

420 is mine @kmcrosby78

Happy to take you for a ride @Drop Bear if you're interested. 

Hey thanks @samsteele115. I often want to take 4 people out for  a fish so am wanting a 5m tiller. I think I have settled on a Stessco Tornado SF 500. It has pedestal seats no the bench seats shown below and comes with a 70hp Suzuki 4 stroke. 

Im going to order it tomorrow hopefully.

http://www.stessco.com.au/open-boats-tinnies-dinghies/open-boats-tinnies-dinghies/tornado-sf440

It looks great and has all the things I want and is very large and simple. Heaps of room :)

8 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Hey thanks @samsteele115. I often want to take 4 people out for  a fish so am wanting a 5m tiller. I think I have settled on a Stessco Tornado SF 500. It has pedestal seats no the bench seats shown below and comes with a 70hp Suzuki 4 stroke. 

Im going to order it tomorrow hopefully.

http://www.stessco.com.au/open-boats-tinnies-dinghies/open-boats-tinnies-dinghies/tornado-sf440

It looks great and has all the things I want and is very large and simple. Heaps of room :)

Wow, your pretty serious then?:ausflag:

I guess that will give you a range of around 200kms plus. Good luck with negotiations, where you buying from?

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Snelo said:

Heading to big4 park at wooli for Christmas would it be worth taking my 14ft flat bottom with 54lb electric? Just trying to get a feed for the family while we camp thanks 

Yes! Lust soak unweighted yabbies around and you will get a feed of whiting and Flathead. Last 2 hours of run out and anywhere really. we stand on banks and pump yabs and fish at our feet. Keep moving as the fish seem to be quite lazy. If you are getting little ones move on from there. Keep your line light. I like to use 2kg but I think I will up it to 3kg as some of the larger flathead will break the line with there fast dashing runs. 

Other options are to flick lures for big eye trevally and I love to eat Mullet. I use a small hook and bread for these but I keep wanting to mix it up and use corn and floats but never seem to get around to it. Perhaps because we seem to always get a feed of whiting and flathead. 

Crabbing is also good. Especially leading up to the full moon although pots do get raided. 

I hope to be back there for Easter. 

6 hours ago, benno573 said:

Awesome stuff Rob!! What's the update on delivery date?

Hey @benno573!

Hope you are well mate. I have been promised the 19th. I really want it for the 20th as my family arrives and we want to get some shell fish. I am really keen to find some nice weather and get back to the spots you showed me. I could repay you for the decky spot if you gave me if are keen? Perhaps in January?

On 05/12/2017 at 5:29 AM, Drop Bear said:

Hey @benno573!

Hope you are well mate. I have been promised the 19th. I really want it for the 20th as my family arrives and we want to get some shell fish. I am really keen to find some nice weather and get back to the spots you showed me. I could repay you for the decky spot if you gave me if are keen? Perhaps in January?

Always keen mate! Been too long since I got out.

4 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

A few of us owe you a trip @benno573. Not much opportunity this side of February but will definitely be keen for a Pin trip then, maybe a group outing might be on the cards?

Yep, I'm on that list Steve. Although I'll need to wash my boat first and clean out all the cr@p from the storms recently, and the cobwebs, as I haven't managed to get out in it since before the Sep holidays ...... :no:  Coming Saturday @benno573?

Archived