Securing Boat To Wharf Alternative

Daniel4545

Hey guys,

I have just started year 12 and I am doing Design Technology as a subject meaning I have to complete a major work. I have come up with an idea that is an alternative to tying up at a wharf, it could be a easier and safer way of tying up especially if you're out by yourself. It would be a device that would enable to you not have to get out of the boat and don't have to worry about the hassle of trying to sort out a rope. I haven't thought too much into to it as this stage but I have some idea of what it might look like and how it may work yet but let me know what you think of the idea whether you like the idea or not, or even some suggestions to how you think it could be done. Ill try have a drawing of the proposed idea soon. Thank you! 

hey guys thanks for replying to my post. So the idea is that there will be a winch attached to your boat with a rope. On the end of the rope is some sort of wire loop that can go over the cleat of the wharf and then be tightened to be secured. To actually get the loop onto the cleat there will be seperate pole so that you can reach out and just place the loop over the cleat and secure your boat. Then using the winch you can just wind the boat closer to the wharf. This would mean you wouldn't have to get out of the boat and worry about having rope everywhere. I will post a picture and hopefully you'll be able to understand it. thank you.

IMG_1880.JPG

welcome to the site Daniel, over the next few days you should get some positive feed back/suggestions.

Most boaties have a fairly user friendly system that they work to with mooring and departing moorings. One of the keys for your project is to ensure your design thinking is easy and safe to be used in not only stable/calm conditions but also easily useable in fast currents, choppy/windy conditions etc and be aware in these types of mooring conditions/situations one needs to tie off and untie/cast off, bow and stern quickly and efficiently.

Good luck, hope it goes well for you :)

EDIT added: one needs to tie off and untie/cast off

On 10/19/2017 at 8:20 AM, Daniel4545 said:

On the end of the rope is some sort of wire loop that can go over the cleat of the wharf and then be tightened to be secured.

Hey Daniel,

I have been thinking about this a bit and like your idea. I wonder if you could make it so a pole/boom sits out the front or back or front of your boat with a large loop/lasoo hanging from the end and attached to your boat. this way you could steer the boat and not have to leave the helm and get the loop over the cleat on the dock. once you have a stern or Bow rope on you can keep the power on idel and turn the vessle towards the dock. This would secure it to the side of the dock and get a good chance to put a second line on. No moving parts etc. 

Archived