Big Swell Big Snapper Big Pearlies

tugger

Drop bear and i went offshore yesterday we set off from cleveland early and rounded the corner at Amity to see a big swell running on the bar, i knew it was going to be a big easterly swell but with a incoming tide i had confidence it could be safe enough to cross the bar. The bar was cracking on the sand banks and i kept tracking around the channel that hugs the beach it was a long way along the beach gutter before we could finally see the channel that goes over the outer bank and we got over it with out seeing any breaking waves.

The wind was a constant 10 knots so i deployed the sea anchor to stop the drift going to quick and it was quite easy getting the baits to the bottom in 60m of water, the 1st spot didn't work so we moved a few hundred meters with success. My 1st drop hooked up a solid fish and it took a little effort to get him away from the bottom withh big head thumps i knew it was a good snapper it fought all the way up and Robbie slid the net under when it hit the surface.

20171020_134901.thumb.jpg.3310863e9f97166cd480f4938eab6d6f.jpg

The fish were holding close to the bottom so Robbie and i kept the baits on the bottom and after a few more snapper in the mid 40cm range Robbie got a nice pearlie just over 50cm that i slid the net under.

20171020_101914.thumb.jpg.027e8f43aecd04a284c2627d2781d521.jpg

We got a few more snapper and another pearlie then Robbie hooks another good snapper a solid fish that went 55cm and now the box was looking good before the bite shut down.

20171020_134816.thumb.jpg.83466b86bd8b4e9d680a4205b0d1847f.jpg

We moved to the rock where we anchored and put out some bigger baits where we hooked some bigger beasts but they bit us off each time both of us couldn't get the brutes that were after tbese big tuna baits. Another snapper did take a pilchard before it went quiet so we called it a day and headed home and knocked the fillets off while having a well earned brew, here is the final tally.

20171020_160321.thumb.jpg.ee21d6239bb21df635e731549dafa3f7.jpg

Thanks so much for taking me out @tugger. Was great to have you at the helm for that crazy bar cross without incident. 

Some nice fish. Shame the swell was up and we couldn't fish a few spots but I had a great day.

I have wondered all day what were the brutes that gave us so much curry.... oh well next time.

Great report and thanks agin for letting me tag along

5 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Thanks so much for taking me out @tugger. Was great to have you at the helm for that crazy bar cross without incident. 

Some nice fish. Shame the swell was up and we couldn't fish a few spots but I had a great day.

I have wondered all day what were the brutes that gave us so much curry.... oh well next time.

Great report and thanks agin for letting me tag along

Thanks for coming Robbie we will stop some brutes next time 

2 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

2. Rob, how big was the burley trail you laid across the bar? It would have been a tiny bit scary.

So the bar was about 4 km long so that make the burley trail about 6km... :) It was... intimidating but I was never really worried. 

I did feel a bit sea sick for a while but got better. 

2 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Some nice fish there @tugger and @Drop Bear.  2 questions:

1. Mark, have you ever had a donut?

2. Rob, how big was the burley trail you laid across the bar? It would have been a tiny bit scary.

1. Patience is the key and a little bit of know how but sometimes we all donut

2. I have the front clear up which is hard to see through and i unzip a window in front of the drivers position so my deckie doesn't see the waves to well keeps them calm lol.

54 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

Nice feed there Mark.

We were going out to the shelf yesterday ourselves but I ended up in hospital for ct scans so we missed out.

Hopefully this weather will come good soon, I am sick of all this rain and wind already.

Hopefully for next weekend we have had enough rain now won't be any dust to worry about

2 minutes ago, tugger said:

Hopefully for next weekend we have had enough rain now won't be any dust to worry about

Can you imagine how your gully is going now,lol.

We better stay away from that this time.

Are you heading up Friday morning, I will try and get away here by about 9-10am on Friday.

10 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

Can you imagine how your gully is going now,lol.

We better stay away from that this time.

Are you heading up Friday morning, I will try and get away here by about 9-10am on Friday.

I will  head up friday.morning around 8am leaving my place

17 hours ago, Luvit said:

Excellent boys.

Did you get the pearly on a jig Robbie? 

I did throw the jig around a bit but it was a bit quiet at the second spot and didnt hook up on anything. I threw it at some suds from a rock still with no luck. tried a vibe and plastics too. I'm sure the pearlies would have taken a jig but we were bait fishing out wide. 

7 hours ago, Luvit said:

Pilchard jigs :P

I'm waiting for the rain to stop and the ground dries out, so I can get the boat out.

If it's too wet I won't be able to back it back up the hill.:no: Have to allow for wind and rain now.

That's a bugger hope it's not a wet summer i had a similar problem when I moved in to the new house so I concreted the whole side access problem solved 

6 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Some nice solid fish there fellas, well done. And good work taking advantage of an opportunity - although it sounds like experience was needed to get out and back safely.

There was a solid 2m easterly swell running on the bar but with a big incoming tide it kept it manageable and the channel was clear of breakers but a that was a long way along the beach 

7 hours ago, Luvit said:

It's all about the boat, this is why I don't catch as many fish as you. It saves on cleaning. :frantics:

Yep, that's why I deliberately try not to catch many (any ....) fish Wayne ...... nothing worse than catching heaps and heaps and heaps of fish and then having to clean the boat (after having a terrific time) .......... :whistle:

13 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Yep, that's why I deliberately try not to catch many (any ....) fish Wayne ...... nothing worse than catching heaps and heaps and heaps of fish and then having to clean the boat (after having a terrific time) .......... :whistle:

Peas from the same pod, Kel.

The pod of 'excuses' that's us.

On 23/10/2017 at 3:02 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

You should bring the tinnie up to somerset dam this weekend Kelvin and get those boys of yours on to some bass and yellas they would love the camping with dad as well there is also another up side you don't have to wash your boat after being in the fresh

Will definitely have to get to one of these Mark but have a busy weekend lined up this weekend - hoping to get out for a quick fish in the bay Saturday though. See if I can find some sandies and mackerel. Have a great weekend up there - everything should be nice and green after this rain and the temperatures look perfect for camping.

Archived