Bribie Island 29/10/17 - No Sharks But A Nice Shovel

The Mad Hughesy

We hit the water on Sunday after a few weeks of not fishing at all (thanks rain!). Plan was to stay a few hours and be home and cleaned up before the “storm” hit

We only had two runs on freshwater eel, with one hookup.

With the Penn 850ssm drag locked up, and the line peeling off easily I knew we were in for a fight…. Every time we got her boat side, she would scream off for another 100m run. We did about 3 laps around the boat, passing the rod under the anchor a few times and after 30mins, the shovelnose was in the boat and we were spent. Circle hook came out easily, few pics and back in the water for a strong release. Very proud of my fiancé who fought it the whole way through like a champ, it was a dirty fight that’s for sure. I was hoping for a bull or whaler, but this wasn’t a bad runner-up prize. It measured 143cm

Later I checked the drag capabilities of the reel…on 6kg of max drag. No wonder it peeled line off easily. 40lb braid, 200lb wire trace and 12-0 circle hook with a 15cm slab of eel. Awesome fun!

IMG_5900.thumb.jpg.2276ff6d18d206945ba2ab3366590a9e.jpgIMG_5901.thumb.jpg.e60b2b7e9612fc8c96439cdd4c0e4f2c.jpg

44 minutes ago, fishingnut said:

Just up pat Donny brook where the camp are is there is a tiny patch of reef that produces the odd legal squire, bully’s love them! Got smoked by a monster there one night re rigged and got one that went 5foot 9 inches about 20 min later, use live bream as bait 

thanks for the tip! im camping at Mission point in the coming months, might take a tld25 with me

Archived