Fuel Flow/usage Meter

The Mad Hughesy

Afternoon AFO,

I do not trust my current fuel gauge (when full it reads 3/4 full). So I still haven't been able to get a close to accurate fuel usage reading. Not to mention I have an under floor tank, so I cannot visually see how much ive used or how much is left. (Still unsure of the tank size still). Im wanting to start doing some larger trips (Moreton, chasing tuna in Hervey Bay etc) Has anyone had experience with using a fuel flow meter before? I haven’t found one yet, but I've been told that you may be able to install a fuel meter (analogue) just in the fuel hose which will show how many litres have passed through it and into the engine.

Thanks

I have never trusted boat fuel gauges. I don't have a flow meter, but if accurate they would be a worth while investment if you have to remember to reset it on your GPS every time you fill up. They would be good to see what the most economical rev range to sit on would be.

I simply go out and drive the boat as I normally would in all different conditions and setting a trip log before each trip. Start with a full tank of fuel, then at the end of the day refill the tank divided the km's traveled by the liters used. Over 4 or so trips in various conditions it becomes easy to average fuel usage. For my boat I get so very close to 1km per litre. It's close enough for me and i can estimate long trips and touch wood I have not ran out of fuel using this method.

38 minutes ago, Luvit said:

I have never trusted boat fuel gauges. I don't have a flow meter, but if accurate they would be a worth while investment if you have to remember to reset it on your GPS every time you fill up. They would be good to see what the most economical rev range to sit on would be.

I simply go out and drive the boat as I normally would in all different conditions and setting a trip log before each trip. Start with a full tank of fuel, then at the end of the day refill the tank divided the km's traveled by the liters used. Over 4 or so trips in various conditions it becomes easy to average fuel usage. For my boat I get so very close to 1km per litre. It's close enough for me and i can estimate long trips and touch wood I have not ran out of fuel using this method.

Great advice. Thanks mate

I have a Suzi digital gauge that displays fuel usage data....total used, average, litres per km etc. only problem is when I fill up the pump tells me a different story than the gauge. I fill up at the same pump every time at the marina as the boats in storage, just have to figure out now which ones wrong. 

I have one of these Lowrance EP-60R Fuel Flow Sensors. I originally purchased it with the hope of running it through my Lowrance sounder/chartplotter, however I soon discovered my model doesn't support this. So I then had to purchase one of theses Lowrance gauges, pluse NMEA back bone. Was an expensive exercise, but eventually worth its money. I had run out of fuel a year before when my Yamaha gauge with basic fuel sender had told me I still "2 bars" of fuel left. Very easy to install, and once setup, there is a heap of options that you can customise the gauge to read off the one sensor.

Despite the expensive cost, I could not recommend one of them enough. The accuracy is incredible, usually measuring with 3-5L over a 96L tank, and a full days fishing. The best part I like is being able see your fuel consumption at L/hr as you're driving, allowing you to trim and accelerate at optimal RPMs. For me an extra 1000rpm and four knots at top speed, can mean 30%(or 12-15L/hr) extra fuel I'm burning. 

Now I don't even look at my original fuel gauge.

20 hours ago, christophagus said:

@Tybo

this is exactly what im chasing! I've got a lowrance Elite 4, I couldn't see on that link if it has a list of compatible units?

No, I have an Elite 7, and I believe none of the Elites or bottom end Lowrances are compatible, only the HDS. A lot of the older Lowrance units are though, like the LMC and LMX models.

• 2 weeks later...

Sheish that sounds good @Tybo. Not gonna spend money at the moment though... I will have to do it the old fashioned way. 

Tilt up till it cavitates then tilt down a little. 

I want to use the same method that you are @Luvit. I will  have to wait to see where the filler is and how to have a full mark or spot. I'd assume that if you filled it up to the top of the cap it would leak out the breather. I hope there is a clear tube or something so I can see when the tank if accurately filled. 

I will need a stack of local trips under my belt before I head outside. 

Archived