Cod Reconnaissance New England - Severn Nsw

scottakascott

Hi all, (long time lurker, first time poster)

Am from down in Victoria and most of my fishing has been primarily saltwater out of a boat. I have since fallen in love with freshwater fishing and often spend a lot of time exploring the Otways near my home, and do a lot of time up the Ovens/Murray region chasing cod now. Last year i lucked upon a rental car relocation ($4 a day) and drove from the Goldy to Sydney, spending 3days around the Glenn Innes/Deepwater area of the New England region. Safe to say I fell in love with the place, and was quite successful on a lot of cod in the 40-60cm mark of morn and dusk, and have dreamt about coming back since. I found access to waterways pretty limited due to predominately private property flanking the major rivers, and most of the farmers less accommodating up this way. (other than 1 who made my trip by allowing me access to his small waterhole, after numerous no's.) Is it true the property line extends to the middle of the river bed in NSW?

I have done extensive recon in the lead up to my Dec 4-8 solo trip, and have managed to get myself onto another property for this trip prior to my departure, although it has taken significant searching, emails and phone calls. I am not sure how i will go, but plan on putting in some big days and hope to reap the rewards (to share here of course). I am also planning on making a big walk through one of the few nature reserves which flanks the Severn, and replied to a post on this topic on this forum where someone else asked about it. Anyhow thought i would introduce myself, and of course I would welcome any advice, or by any small stretch of a chance, hook ups, up that way (discretion can be exercised).

thought i would include a few pics from my last trip.

IMG_7201.JPG

IMG_7276.JPG

IMG_7193.JPG

9 hours ago, scottakascott said:

Is it true the property line extends to the middle of the river bed in NSW?

Fishing access to the sea, rivers and creeks

At common law, the public has a right to fish in the sea, the arms of the sea and in the tidal reaches of all rivers and estuaries.

The public has no common law right to fish in non-tidal waters—the right to fish in those waters belongs to the owner of the soil under those waters. The public may also fish in non-tidal waters if the soil under those waters is Crown land. However in order to allow for angling access in NSW rivers and creeks, section 38 of the NSW Fisheries Management Act 1994 declares that the public has a right to fish despite the private ownership of the bed of the river or creek.

9 hours ago, scottakascott said:

I have done extensive recon in the lead up to my Dec 4-8 solo trip, and have managed to get myself onto another property for this trip prior to my departure, although it has taken significant searching, emails and phone calls. I am not sure how i will go, but plan on putting in some big days and hope to reap the rewards (to share here of course). I am also planning on making a big walk through one of the few nature reserves which flanks the Severn, and replied to a post on this topic on this forum where someone else asked about it. Anyhow thought i would introduce myself, and of course I would welcome any advice, or by any small stretch of a chance, hook ups, up that way (discretion can be exercised).

thought i would include a few pics from my last trip.

Some great pics there! I hope your plan goes well. :) 

Very glad you turned your lurking into posting. I'd love to hear more about your trips :)

Hey Scott.

Cod fishing is da bomb in my book. Actually doing opening on the Severn myself next week.

If you are travellling solo can I suggest you bookmark 

https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/

where you can find ownership details on all the lots of land in NSW. 

Crown Reserves often have a Lot and Dp however these have different lot numbers and have a 7000 designation ie 7001, 7002 etc .  For example if you type in 7302//1135036 in the search bar you'll find the TSR for Bolivia Hill.  But don't go there next Friday :) 

If in doubt (i.e. you don't see a TSR sign) confirm its status with lands online www.crownland.nsw.gov.au/about_crown_land/crown_land_enquiry 

And just a friendly tip, please don't hold a fish you intend to release by the jaw only, it does terrible damage to their spine. Support them by their stomach at least. 

Cheers and welcome

Norm

To Nog and Dropbear, thanks an absolute bunch! its feedback and tips like this which made me join this forum, and will of course inspire me to contribute more!

Nog especially thanks for all the in depth info. you are awesome. and re the holding of the cod, i have since learned that, and am committed to cod thumb and have down away with lip grips.

Football  skirt jigs are used in the Bass comps, specifically for bottom bouncing along rocky shorelines. The football shape of the jighead makes it difficult to get wedged in rocks and the weed guard is near on impenetrable.

Maybe try one.

Archived