Pelagic Social Gold Coast January 19th To 21st

tugger

A bit of interest lately about starting a pelagic social and i have been talking to a few mates about this for January down the gold coast. So i was looking at camping down on the broadwater and fishing the inshore reefs of southport down to the mermaid reef.

There is a good run of pelagics that time of year with tuna, cobia, spanish, spottie and school mackerel. We have even caught little black marlin on these close reefs then and dolphin fish out on the 24s.

I will plan for the weekend of the 19th to the 21st thats Friday to the Sunday with the option to kick it to the following weekend if the weather turns foul. Join us for the whole weekend or just the days fishing so post up in this thread if your keen.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, tugger said:

I will plan for the weekend of the 19th to the 21st thats Friday to the Sunday with the option to kick it to the following weekend if the weather turns foul. Join us for the whole weekend or just the days fishing so post up in this thread if your keen.

That's fantastic. Very keen mate. Where do you camp on the broad water? 

22 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

That's fantastic. Very keen mate. Where do you camp on the broad water? 

There is a few options with north and sout currigee camp grounds on south stradbroke island or southport caravan park and i will set up a day shelter on wavebreak island which is right in front of the seaway for any day trippers for just the fishing and the guys who want to sleep on their boats at the anchorage. The northern beach of wavebreak island has a sheltered anchorage adjacent which is where i will put the day shelter no overnight camping is allowed although plenty of boaties do just this without being chased off. Each to there own but wavebreak is close to the boat ramps where the day trippers will use so a good spot to run the social from the day camp.

Plenty of other options for the smaller boats and any kayakers with the gold coast broadwater offering up flathead whiting etc and the seaway can produce jewfish through to tailor and jacks. All this within minutes from wavebreak island the pelagic social HQ, hope to see plenty of new members come along as these socials are great to put names to faces.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of mackerel marlin cobia and dolphin fish have been showing up on the gold coast lately. Looks like a bumper season this year so this is a good time to remind you all about this social. 

Kelvin has spoken in another post about the opportunity to learn off our experienced members here with regards to pelagic fishing. I can grab a few guys along with myself who can do work shops on rigs and how to use them to improve your own skills.

About a month away now for the social so start planning on coming along these events are always fun.

A few fish we found on the gold coast over the last week or so 

20171218_095856.thumb.jpg.d37d529b9dc6c49fb20662eb76af74ee.jpg

20171216_133724.thumb.jpg.9dd42ba54034029e59567d5fcf78ab55.jpg

20171215_114209.thumb.jpg.99f56d5a343d8660c726ffe1637d148c.jpg

We have had some mad spottie session's as well tangling with some black marlin. The Spanish have turned up as well and the cobia have been responding well to a good burley trail with 1 we caught on monday going around 30kg. Dollies are being caught east of southport and loads of tuna are busting up everywhere off the goldy we have caught mack, yellowtail and stripe tuna. There should be plenty of pelagics to target off the goldy for our social

2 hours ago, tugger said:

The Spanish have turned up as well and the cobia have been responding well to a good burley trail with 1 we caught on monday going around 30kg. Dollies are being caught east of southport and loads of tuna are busting up everywhere off the goldy we have caught mack, yellowtail and stripe tuna. There should be plenty of pelagics to target off the goldy for our social

STOP IT!  That sounds too good. I will be coming but not sleeping on the boat. Mrs Dropbear has acquired accommodation on the GC that weekend so we will be day trippers :)

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

STOP IT!  That sounds too good. I will be coming but not sleeping on the boat. Mrs Dropbear has acquired accommodation on the GC that weekend so we will be day trippers :)

Where are you going to store the boat can you get it parked at you accommodation there maybe some options for you 

1 hour ago, tugger said:

Where are you going to store the boat can you get it parked at you accommodation there maybe some options for you 

I don't think I can store it there. I can leave it at a mates in Currumbin but thats the wrong direction. I will have to have a look around and see if there is somewhere

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I don't think I can store it there. I can leave it at a mates in Currumbin but thats the wrong direction. I will have to have a look around and see if there is somewhere

There is runaway bay marina which is close to where we are there maybe a storage yard you could use for a small fee. I will chat with you as it gets closer i do have mates on the coast with big yards but there could be a few other options 

4 weeks to go now yesterday there were plenty of black marlin caught off southport in 30 to 40m of water yesterday and my son has already caught 8 dollies this morning and tangled with 1 marlin. Post up here if you are coming along to the social and we can plan out the weekend. 

16 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Awesome stuff mark/brock        palmy, gravel patch or out from the seaway?

Brock and his mate caught this on the 9 mile off the tweed in my boat but i know of 1arlin caught on the mermaid yesterday and 1 on the 24s out from southport plus many more  along the gold coast they have been thick for over a week now

13 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Where are you up to with the live bait tank @Drop Bear?  I recently finished addin g one to my tinny so let me know if you have any problems that I might be able to give some advice about

Thanks Old Scaley. I will get some photos but basically I bought a plastic one for the old boat and I am hoping to use it on this one. There is a great spot but I have 2 problems as I see it. 

1 there is no way to empty it at the end of the day. Sure I could bail it out but I wont get to it and it will go green. I was planning to put a bung in the bottom and run a small pipe into the hull so that when I have pulled the bungs out I can run the Live bait tank to the hull. This would mean that I have to make a stand for it so it doesnt sit on the floor or I cut a hole in the floor... I dont like the second option as I would like to put as few holes in the boat as possible.

2 the outlet is at the top. @tugger has strongly recommended that the outlet be at the bottom so it mixes the water and stirs up the slime and scales so they go out of the tank rather than splashing water on top. 

I was hoping to use an old aluminium street sight I had made years ago. 

9 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Thanks Old Scaley. I will get some photos but basically I bought a plastic one for the old boat and I am hoping to use it on this one. There is a great spot but I have 2 problems as I see it. 

1 there is no way to empty it at the end of the day. Sure I could bail it out but I wont get to it and it will go green. I was planning to put a bung in the bottom and run a small pipe into the hull so that when I have pulled the bungs out I can run the Live bait tank to the hull. This would mean that I have to make a stand for it so it doesnt sit on the floor or I cut a hole in the floor... I dont like the second option as I would like to put as few holes in the boat as possible.

2 the outlet is at the top. @tugger has strongly recommended that the outlet be at the bottom so it mixes the water and stirs up the slime and scales so they go out of the tank rather than splashing water on top. 

I was hoping to use an old aluminium street sight I had made years ago. 

My inlet pipe comes into the tank from the top and has a 90 degree elbow with the pipe then finishing 30mm from the bottom  of the tank. I have a small hole drilled into the 90 degree elbow to stop it siphoning the tank when the pump is turned off. The drain outlet is still at the top of the tank this system works well and will keep slimie mackerel alive all day which are very hard to keep alive unless you have a good set up.

36 minutes ago, tugger said:

My inlet pipe comes into the tank from the top and has a 90 degree elbow with the pipe then finishing 30mm from the bottom  of the tank. I have a small hole drilled into the 90 degree elbow to stop it siphoning the tank when the pump is turned off. The drain outlet is still at the top of the tank this system works well and will keep slimie mackerel alive all day which are very hard to keep alive unless you have a good set up.

Similar to @tugger, my inlet is at the bottom with a non-return valve in the line between the pump and the tank, outlet at the top and a drain on the bottom of the tank with a line that has a tap on it. That tap will also allow me to regulate the outflow in case the pump gets ahead of the outlet.  Yet to use this set up in anger but have tested it out to keep some sandies fresh the other day.  One problem I had with my old plastic set up was that herring would get sucked up against the outlet and then the tank would over flow, so I am hoping this will not happen with the new one. Will be testing it out over the next couple of weeks so will report back.

22 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

I think Sat and Sunday but if the weather is good Friday afternoon perhaps that as well but this time of year it will probably be too windy for me. 

Sounds good mate. I think I’ll try and find some acccomodation for the Saturday night and come fish with you on the Sunday if that suits you? 

These se are the lures I was telling you about too....image.thumb.jpg.718fc96d9fdd1b7fd98fcf8b4412ffdf.jpg

Archived