Pelagic Social Gold Coast January 19th To 21st

tugger

The excitement of wait for the social was finally over and Luke and I headed off early Friday morning. We launched at Runaway Bay marina and headed straight over to wave break and had a chat with Brad and co. We asked if they would like some help setting up before we headed out, they said there was only a gazebo and stuff and they would fine.  So Luke and I headed out to make the most of the small weather opportunity outside. By the time we had crossed the bar and headed out to start our search Luke was seasick after taking a tablet before we went out. Usually he gets it out then he is not to bad not today, he was getting sicker as the wind picked up. I decided to troll back in since the sea wouldn't allow us to do any speed anyway and see if we could raise a fish.

Luckily for us we found the bait in the 40-50m range. I didn't take photos of the bait but on Friday but I did on Saturday, dense bait balls with in 10 meters of surface.  furuno.thumb.jpg.1decd466514294b5625e6518e1605d5c.jpg

I zig zaged as we found bait and one of the rod goes off for a few moments drags is pulled before the my nemesis Mahi-Mahi shows its aerial prowess and throws the lure. I quickly accelerated to entice another strike and instantly we had another hook up. I yelled to Luke in the cabin to come and clear the rods as I took control of the bull somersaulting over the many white caps. Luke was able to clear the rods before heaving over the side once again. I did my best to get to the boat quickly, while trying to trace it with the rod in the holder my thoughts were please don't get off now. My prays were answered when the gaff hit the mark and the gleaming gold slab hit the deck dancing.

Poor Luke was struggling just to get a picture but he got a couple before we bled it and into an ice slurry.

5a65885271032_1.5mdolly.thumb.jpg.1215168e9212746aa1ef5604cbedb621.jpg

5a65885d1d8ce_15kgDolly.thumb.jpg.20275dc95c83700785902fb4f1a2661a.jpg

Mahi-Mahi.thumb.jpg.c71760a4c9e88bc420ba989194cd87b5.jpg

It is a PB at just under 1.5 meters long and estimated weight between 12-15kg. I was absolutely stoked as this was my target fish for the weekend.

We pull the lures in and headed in but with a run out tide and large swell this was going to be my first real bar crossing. I have read a lot and studied videos on bar crossings so I had a fairly good idea but doing it it got the adrenaline pumping. I could only go by the GPS to head down the middle because I could not see either of the seaway walls when staying on the back of the wave. We got in safely without any problems but I think having Luke on board was some of the reason I was still shaking when I got back to wave break island.

Many other had arrived and camp had grown considerably in size. We met a lot of new people and caught up with others we had not seen for a while. A couple of hours later Luke came good and we hit bed early in the boat to hopefully have him ready for the early Saturday session. Unfortunately the Saturday wind got up early and the mackerel weren't firing at Palmy, so we headed out to troll back hoping to get another dolly. We picked a a striped tuna but nothing else and ran home.

I was buggered because I was did not sleep well and had to move the boat 2 times during the night so I had a snooze in the afternoon. Luke was wanting to go home early because there wasn't really kids there his age and so we opted to skip the big cook up to head home early so he had one day off before school started back. I was looking forward to the cook up and it looked so delicious.

A big thanks to everyone who went and the made such a big camp. I won't name anyone as if i did there is sure to be someone I miss, so thanks to all that helped make a great social.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ellicat said:

Ripper dolly, Wayne. :thumbsup: Bet you were stoked to get one in the boat !

Shame Luke got crook. ( I hope he doesn't snore as well :P )

No he doesn’t snore. We sorted the sea sickness thing to. He took a seasick tablet Friday night and then 2 Saturday morning and he was fine seasickness wise. He just couldn’t cope with the 2.45am wake up. Kids have got to toughen up. 

Loving the photos that have been put up the social lived up to its name and we had plenty of guys and gals meet for the 1st time and some new deckie partnerships have been formed, the arvos were good for sitting around in the shade having a yarn I think we will get a few new members out of it as well as a few guys asked about the website. I don't know when I can put my hand up for planning the next social as I have a change of work about to happen and don't know where I will be at but don't hesitate to get a social going yourself they are great to keep interest on the site here with new members likely to become more active as we met a few new members on the weekend.

11 hours ago, tugger said:

Loving the photos that have been put up the social lived up to its name and we had plenty of guys and gals meet for the 1st time and some new deckie partnerships have been formed, the arvos were good for sitting around in the shade having a yarn I think we will get a few new members out of it as well as a few guys asked about the website. I don't know when I can put my hand up for planning the next social as I have a change of work about to happen and don't know where I will be at but don't hesitate to get a social going yourself they are great to keep interest on the site here with new members likely to become more active as we met a few new members on the weekend.

Well said Mark - you've been an integral part of getting many of us addicted to this website and got many of us fishing offshore (I for one LOVE Wavebreak Island ..... :)). Good luck with the change of job - presuming you won't be on the same on/off rotations?

On 1/23/2018 at 8:03 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

Story?

as we put the boat in at runaway bay on the high tide ,i went and payed my fee on return i had put my wallet down on the back, to undo the tiedowns back the boat down leaving my wallet on the back duck board,we looked everywhere for it even going in the water,30 mins later i was over it cracked a beer and headed for the island my wife contacted the bank to cancel my cards,after a few beers durning the day mick fillet said lets go for another look by then i had thought no its gone dont worry about it then about 4 in the arvo after a few more brown bottels mick said once again lets go see i thought at least in the morning i could say we tryed, so we left for the ramp by this time the tide was well and truly out put on a snorkel and away i went first dive nothing second dive nothing,by this time mick went and ask if anyone had handed it in but the answer was no,i had said to mick if the tide was still coming in the wallet should be near the corner so i went over one dive in about ten feet of water and as i reached the bottom there it was open and right infront of me so stoked  and i had just got money out to give to lance for some things i brought for the weekend,so  realy if it wasnt for mick pushing me to look it would have been gone so thanks again mick:worship::worship:

Archived