Noosa Oyster Reefs

Drop Bear

This looks interesting. Perhaps something I could do locally in Tingalpa Creek and Wynnum Creek. Or even out the front of Wynnum Creek.

Has anyone been involved in creating a project like this?

I will do some research and try and chat to the scientists behind this and see what they think. 

It is really interesting to see the shell fish that grow on old oyster beds compared to the silty weed beds. I would love to build the numbers of fish closer to Wynnum. 

http://www.noosaparks.org.au/uploads/Noosa River and Lake System/BBTF Newsletter April 2017 USC.pdf

https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/bid-to-bring-back-oysters-reefs-as-council-and-res/3176763/

I might look at council and see if they would give me a grant! :)

On 12/5/2017 at 5:42 AM, Drop Bear said:

This looks interesting. Perhaps something I could do locally in Tingalpa Creek and Wynnum Creek. Or even out the front of Wynnum Creek.

Has anyone been involved in creating a project like this?

I will do some research and try and chat to the scientists behind this and see what they think. 

It is really interesting to see the shell fish that grow on old oyster beds compared to the silty weed beds. I would love to build the numbers of fish closer to Wynnum. 

http://www.noosaparks.org.au/uploads/Noosa River and Lake System/BBTF Newsletter April 2017 USC.pdf

https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/bid-to-bring-back-oysters-reefs-as-council-and-res/3176763/

I might look at council and see if they would give me a grant! :)

https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/community-safety/grants-awards/environment-sustainability/environmental-grants 

10 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

May be able to pick the brain of @Daryl McPhee for some advice on the viability of the project and possibly some tips for the application process? I'm planning on buying his new book for my father-in-law for Xmas (and then borrowing it ..... :whistle:), should be a great read.

Sounds like a plan Kelvin.

Ah side projects. The main of my existance!

Still want to get back on the Tingalpa Reservoir stocking band wagon as well!

On 12/12/2017 at 1:37 PM, Tybo said:

Does the quality of the water affect the viability? I always heard that oysters are very susceptible to water quality, something that probably isn't an issue in the Noosa, but Western Moreton bay...

Also, is this what they call oyster seeding?

Hey mate.

I'm sure it does but there are stacks and stacks of oysters around wynnum so should be fine. Many shellfish naturally live on any rock in the area so hoping to give them more places to stick to. It is very muddy/sandy/weedy where I am thinking so hopefully it will give a nice new area of reef. 

On 12/12/2017 at 4:36 PM, Angus said:

On 12/12/2017 at 4:36 PM, Angus said:

Let's apply @Drop Bear

"An applicant should be an incorporated not-for-profit organisation.

An unincorporated not-for-profit organisation or community group may also apply, under the auspices of an incorporated not-for-profit organisation prepared to act as a sponsor.

The sponsor must be able to accept legal and financial responsibility for the applicant's project."

Um... is afo one of these?

I got a response today;

-----------------------------

Hi Robbie,

Great to hear from you, and thank you for the positive feedback on the Noosa Project. You might have seen that the Pumicestone reef project was installed las week as well- we're also involved with fish monitoring on this project too. Certainly, it appears that the 'tide is turning' in Australia more broadly regarding oyster restoration projects. The Nature Conservancy, and associated organisations, in particular, is a fantastic recourse for people looking to get involved. See- https://www.shellfishrestoration.org.au/ and http://www.natureaustralia.org.au/our-work/oceans/restoring-shellfish-reefs/ for good further information. 

I certainly think that the areas around Wynnum and Manly would contain some excellent locations for the restoration of reefs. A fantastic idea, and I strongly encourage you to have a look at the viability of reefs in that area. There's some good evidence to suggest that oyster reefs were historically abundant throughout Moreton Bay- see attachment. Certainly we know from studies globally that the restoration of reefs almost always enhance biodiversity and fish around them. On average, oyster reefs can enhance fish biomass by 2.6kg of fish per year per 10m2 of oyster reef, along with many other biodiversity benefits.

From a logistical perspective, if you were looking to start a reef project in this area, the key is really to have some good historical evidence (from old maps, historic reports, fishing inspector records) that indicates that oyster reefs historically occurred in your area of interest. Development permits are required, and these are usually applied by a local council or community group to the state government. This historic data/information is the first that assessors look for. The local council may be able to assist with funding. 

The Noosa project involves 14 reef sites placed strategically throughout the river to enhance fish biomass based on our understanding of patterns of fish communities in rivers across SEQ (i.e. proximity to both seagrasses and mangroves). They're made of coconut mesh and are filled with recycled oyster shells- easily obtained form oyster leases and commercial fisheries suppliers (see attached photo). The idea is that naturally occurring oyster larvae will settle amongst the shells, 'glue' them together, and the mesh will degrade away after 3-5 years, leaving a functioning oyster reef. 

I hope that helps, and please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

---------------------------------

So it sounds great. I need to find out about old oyster reefs.

Heading out now so will try tomorrow. 

Found this blurb about Doctor McPhee's book, we may have just found a valuable ally Rob. Probably be a good idea to merge this/start a new thread specific to Wynnum/Moreton Bay soon as it might get more locals reading (and possibly being willing to help):

Dr McPhee said that one of the most significant events in the environmental history of Moreton Bay since European settlement, was the loss of extensive oyster reefs as a result of flooding of the catchments newly cleared by European agriculture techniques in the 1890s.  

“We now know that oyster reefs are one of the most threatened coastal habitats in the world, and our local sub-tidal oyster reefs are functionally extinct,” he said. 

“If these habitat losses were occurring now, they would no doubt be the number one environmental issue on our radar. 

“However, we suffer from generational amnesia. Unless you unearth the past like I have, it is difficult to understand what was lost during the early period of European settlement.” 

Associate Professor Daryl McPhee was inspired to write Environmental History and Ecology of Moreton Bay after 30 years of fishing and undertaking marine research in Moreton Bay.  

“I have seen remarkable changes in Moreton Bay with my own eyes over that time - some good, some not so good,” said Dr McPhee.  

“It is not that long ago that coral in Moreton Bay was still being dredged to support the local construction industry.” 

Dr McPhee said the fireweed bloom in the late 1990s was a wake-up call for government and the community on the water quality of Moreton Bay and thankfully led to substantial government investment in water quality improvements.  

“We still have a way to go, with continued restoration of upper catchments and the restoration of sub-tidal oyster reefs being high priority issues identified in the book,” he said.  

“We need to stop thinking that the Moreton Bay Marine Park is the saviour of Moreton Bay.  

“It is an important piece of legislation, but it cannot address the impacts of the growing population in the catchments or provide effective support for habitat and catchment restoration.”   

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:38 PM, Drop Bear said:

Hell yes. 

"Funding amounts range from $1000 to $20,000"

Ummmmm 20,000 sounds good hahahaha!

solid shade cover plus other comforts for the new rig :), all the bells and whistles you can think of for the new rig :), upgrade tow vehicle for the new rig :)…. the possibilities  :drooling: are only limited by the misappropriation factor :no:. Be a devil, you know you want to :lol:  

Happy to help. 

Here is a bit more info from my recent book. 

The need to restore oyster beds is now becoming widely acknowledged, as is the role these beds play in a functioning, healthy coastal ecosystems. Oyster beds have been successfully restored in a number of locations, including the Great Wicomico River (West Virginia, USA) (Schulte et al., 2009), and numerous sites in the Gulf of Mexico (La Peyre et al., 2014). However, not all restoration efforts have been successful, due to ongoing disease issues, ongoing impacts from continued harvesting, the presence of harmful algae, the scale of restoration efforts; and poor monitoring, planning and implementation all contributing to failures (Mann and Powell, 2007; Schulte et al., 2009). Lessons, though, can be drawn from both restoration success stories and failures when designing and implementing oyster reef restoration in Moreton Bay.

Restored oyster beds can contribute substantially to the removal of nutrients from the water column (Cerco et al., 2007; Gedan et al., 2014) and, thus, significantly augment other efforts aimed at reducing the nutrient load entering Moreton Bay. They can also result in enhanced fisheries production (Grabowski et al., 2007) as well as enhanced fish diversity (Pierson and Eggleston, 2014). Where oyster reef restoration has been implemented, it has enjoyed substantial local community support and there is no reason why this would not also occur in Moreton Bay. There is substantial scope to involve the community in restoration efforts and similar to “Seagrass Watch”, an “Oyster Watch” program could be developed that assesses easy to measure parameters directly related to restoration success in Moreton Bay. Oyster reef restoration in Moreton Bay should focus on the “ecosystem services” that such beds cover, and not be focussed on restoring large-scale wild oyster harvesting. These ecosystems services include supporting fisheries production, biodiversity and water quality improvement.  For meaningfully improving water quality, the density of oysters is a critical parameter and it is not necessarily a simple one to calculate (Richards and Chaloupka, 2015).  While various oyster diseases are prevalent in Moreton Bay, hatchery reared disease-resistant Sydney rock oysters are available to alleviate concern for one of the main diseases (QX disease) and, therefore, should be considered for use in oyster reef restoration in Moreton Bay. With appropriate planning, trialling, monitoring and adaptive management, oyster reef restoration in Moreton Bay can be achieved. The restoration of oyster beds, however, should not be seen as an alternative to also conducting other health and restoration efforts, such as reducing sediment and nutrient flow from erosion in upper catchments. Further, any restored beds should not be the subject of oyster harvesting. To the contrary, the success of oyster restoration efforts will be greatly enhanced if improvements designed to reduce erosion in upper catchments occurs, and the impacts from stormwater run-off in highly urbanised areas are improved.

17 hours ago, Daryl McPhee said:

Happy to help. 

Here is a bit more info from my recent book. 

The need to restore oyster beds is now becoming widely acknowledged, as is the role these beds play in a functioning, healthy coastal ecosystems. Oyster beds have been successfully restored in a number of locations, including the Great Wicomico River (West Virginia, USA) (Schulte et al., 2009), and numerous sites in the Gulf of Mexico (La Peyre et al., 2014). However, not all restoration efforts have been successful, due to ongoing disease issues, ongoing impacts from continued harvesting, the presence of harmful algae, the scale of restoration efforts; and poor monitoring, planning and implementation all contributing to failures (Mann and Powell, 2007; Schulte et al., 2009). Lessons, though, can be drawn from both restoration success stories and failures when designing and implementing oyster reef restoration in Moreton Bay.

Restored oyster beds can contribute substantially to the removal of nutrients from the water column (Cerco et al., 2007; Gedan et al., 2014) and, thus, significantly augment other efforts aimed at reducing the nutrient load entering Moreton Bay. They can also result in enhanced fisheries production (Grabowski et al., 2007) as well as enhanced fish diversity (Pierson and Eggleston, 2014). Where oyster reef restoration has been implemented, it has enjoyed substantial local community support and there is no reason why this would not also occur in Moreton Bay. There is substantial scope to involve the community in restoration efforts and similar to “Seagrass Watch”, an “Oyster Watch” program could be developed that assesses easy to measure parameters directly related to restoration success in Moreton Bay. Oyster reef restoration in Moreton Bay should focus on the “ecosystem services” that such beds cover, and not be focussed on restoring large-scale wild oyster harvesting. These ecosystems services include supporting fisheries production, biodiversity and water quality improvement.  For meaningfully improving water quality, the density of oysters is a critical parameter and it is not necessarily a simple one to calculate (Richards and Chaloupka, 2015).  While various oyster diseases are prevalent in Moreton Bay, hatchery reared disease-resistant Sydney rock oysters are available to alleviate concern for one of the main diseases (QX disease) and, therefore, should be considered for use in oyster reef restoration in Moreton Bay. With appropriate planning, trialling, monitoring and adaptive management, oyster reef restoration in Moreton Bay can be achieved. The restoration of oyster beds, however, should not be seen as an alternative to also conducting other health and restoration efforts, such as reducing sediment and nutrient flow from erosion in upper catchments. Further, any restored beds should not be the subject of oyster harvesting. To the contrary, the success of oyster restoration efforts will be greatly enhanced if improvements designed to reduce erosion in upper catchments occurs, and the impacts from stormwater run-off in highly urbanised areas are improved.

What is your book?

13 minutes ago, Daryl McPhee said:

The book is Environmental History and Ecology of Moreton Bay.

:worship:

Oh shiz just made the connection. So glad for your input!!! Thanks. I would love to quote this as part of the submissions if that would be ok?

I will buy the book today. :) Hopefully we can get this up and running early in the new year.

Archived