Monitoring Blue Swimmer Crabs

Drop Bear

On Thursday we were met by a fisheries person that was taking a survey of all the fish we had caught. She was interested in the snapper and mackerel that we kept as well as any undersized fish we said we released (grassies and snapper). I found it interesting and glad that we are monitoring this. 

I then spoke to a mate that actually does these surveys. He says he cops heaps of abuse from boaties thinking that he is a fisheries officer and only there to bust people who are doing the wrong thing. These survey people do not have any power to enforce fines etc. 

So I thought it would be good to just let people know about this and let them know that they are simply there to survey. So if you are met at the boat ramp by a person in grey polo shirt and clipboard you know what they are doing.

Also here is a link to some sand crab monitoring that is going on... not sure why the QLD fihseries call them Blue Swimmers!? I've never hear of blue simmers????? :whistle:

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/fisheries/monitoring-our-fisheries/commercial-fisheries/species-specific-programs/blue-swimmer-crab

QUEENSLANDER!

:lol:

I would like to think that most people on this site see fisheries as a positive thing, and not a hinderance to their "entitled rights". I believe anything that is progressive and helpful to our fisheries should be supported. There will always be the idiots out there that see any enquiry into what they're doing as threatening, but I believe if you have nothing to hide then it can't help.

Apparently there is a difference(if only slightly) between sand and blue swimmers. I'm sure there is, but to me it's like the difference between a zebu and a brahman, as in they're all beef. Sandies are a sustainable, prolific species in Moreton bay, something I know from a friend who has targeted them and diarised his catches in southern Moreton bay for decades. His tally for last calendar year was over 1000 crabs, (recreationally)caught at specific periods throughout the year; of which he states is easily done when you have the know-how, and hasn't changed much over the years.

Pretty sure blue swimmer and sand crabs are the same thing. Hmmn, that reminds me I have to get out and get some Christmas crabs soon.

I have seen the survey people at the ramp many times and unfortunately seen one occasion where the surveyor was abused by a couple of bogans but I am sure most of us are happy to participate.  Having a chat with them is also a good way to find out what other people are catching (they are usually happy to share).  

7 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

.....He says he cops heaps of abuse from boaties thinking that he is a fisheries officer and only there to bust people who are doing the wrong thing.  

probably be those law abiding guys with hidden underfloor compartments, who had a poor days fishing

Sad to hear about the abuse they endure while just doing there job. (which should benefit the whole fishery).

The people that engage in this type of behavior, most likely will have been doing the wrong things all their lives. And it will never change while our laws are not adequate or not enforced. 

21 minutes ago, Luvit said:

Sad to hear about the abuse they endure while just doing there job. (which should benefit the whole fishery).

The people that engage in this type of behavior, most likely will have been doing the wrong things all their lives. And it will never change while our laws are not adequate or not enforced. 

Well said mate. 

49 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Pretty sure blue swimmer and sand crabs are the same thing. Hmmn, that reminds me I have to get out and get some Christmas crabs soon.

I have seen the survey people at the ramp many times and unfortunately seen one occasion where the surveyor was abused by a couple of bogans but I am sure most of us are happy to participate.  Having a chat with them is also a good way to find out what other people are catching (they are usually happy to share).  

Yes I was surprised when @Tybo said they were different. I like to learn new things.

2 fisheries officers came up to me one time at the Brisbane river and were polite etc. and we showed them what we had caught. We hadn't caught much and they said that there were lots of people that had caught Taylor so we switched up to slugs and got a few. 

17 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I always thought they were too, then I read an article about the 'difference', where the guy said they were almost indistinguishable, but they did have different latin names. I was surprised...

Now, looking at it, I believe this guy may have been confused when portunus pelagicus was changed to portunus armatus, as I cannot find any evidence out there that they're different. For all intents and purposes, let's state that @Tybo was gullible and believed one guys article, and that blue swimmer and sand crabs are the same. :frantics::P

Archived