Wivenhoe Dam Bull Shark

Angus

A report I saw online today...

Now I post this for humour but the number of times I have heard someone say they have caught a bully in the fresh and chucked it in there is actually quite high... Would have a lot of catties to eat..

"Public Shark Report: QLD - WIVENHOE DAMN. 19:51, 02 Jan 18, 1.5m, Bull, Sighting from water, Mike reported that the large shark was observed by his 30y/o daugher and her husband while fishing on the top side of the Wivenhoe Dam wall (Qld) from his 3.4m tinnie around midday.  

It came up beside the boat and then submerged.  

Thanks for the report Mike!"

FB_IMG_1515111007058.jpg

Bull sharks do visit the fresh to rid themselves of parasites.Neil Schutz did a few posts on sharking years ago if you do a search.

Anyone who has seen the spillway at wivenhoe in action would realize that it would be impossible for any fish to swim up into the dam.

I have heard credible reports of bullies up as far as Kholo.

Cheers

Ray

20 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Would they survive?

Only species (of shark) that can survive 100% fresh due to additional organ. Used to know more about the science here but it escapes me now.

Allegedly a lake in panama that is land locked and has a population. Similar to gold coast I guess in parts...

1 hour ago, rayke1938 said:

Bull sharks do visit the fresh to rid themselves of parasites.Neil Schutz did a few posts on sharking years ago if you do a search.

Anyone who has seen the spillway at wivenhoe in action would realize that it would be impossible for any fish to swim up into the dam.

I have heard credible reports of bullies up as far as Kholo.

Cheers

Ray

3 times last year here I saw 3-4 metre Bull sharks jumping like 3 metres out of the bay here apparently to rid themselves of parasites doing flips. Apparently this behaviour is usually limited to the rivers. so not sure what they were doing.  It was a little perturbing they were doing it at my favourite spot in the yak, but better than seeing the odd massive tiger when the crabbers get a bit close.

Schultzy

• Advanced Member
  •  
  • Schultzy
  • Members
  • 652 posts

The bullie is the only common species of shark in the world able to live for extended periods in freshwater. They do this by changing the function of renal glands to prevent low blood sodium levels.

Part of the life cycle of bullies relies upon access to freshwater.

Yes guys they are found in the Amazon and Mississippi, most of the temperate and tropical regions of the world including Asia and Africa.

The population in Lake Nicaragua was thought to be breeding in the lake but a recent tagging program showed that they were actually freely traversing rapids to move to and from the lake.

In the Brissie they used to be caught upstream of Lowood before the construction of Mt Crosby weir. Now they go as far up as the weir.

We have three other species of shark in the far north of Australia that share the bull sharks ability to cope with freshwater. All are speartooth sharks and all are so rare that very little is known about them. I believe that speartooth sp \"C\" is known by only a couple of specimens.

Cheers

Ray

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/01/2018 at 8:11 PM, Old Scaley said:

I have seen bullies in half a metre of water just downstream of the Mount Crosby weir. And @Angus is on the money with Kholo https://www.qt.com.au/news/apn-shark-mauls/83637/

I have caught Bull sharks at Colleges crossing and just below the Mt Crosby Weir. I live in Ipswich and about 15-20yr ago a guy used to swim horses at Kholo but stopped after a few shark attacks on the horses legs. 

On 25/09/2018 at 12:46 PM, PORTA-BLOKE said:

My son caught a .75m bully at the 'bends' upstream of twin bridges in October last year. 

Thats a fair way up the river. I have kayaked from Twin Bridges down to Kholo and there are so many shallow rapids particularly at Burtons bridge and then further down coming into South pIne Mountain. Would have to have been released above the the weir to get there. Like the ones at Kholo. Or during floods they swim up...

20 minutes ago, natang said:

Thats a fair way up the river. I have kayaked from Twin Bridges down to Kholo and there are so many shallow rapids particularly at Burtons bridge and then further down coming into South pIne Mountain. Would have to have been released above the the weir to get there. Like the ones at Kholo. Or during floods they swim up...

Extremely doubtful someone would bother to keep it alive, drive to a poor access point, walk down a track, just to release it upstream for no understandable motive.

A small shark can swim up a rapid as well as any other fish. We'll be up there in summer again this year. We caught it on a sausage about 9pm as we'd run out of bait. Will take a pic next time.

11 hours ago, PORTA-BLOKE said:

Extremely doubtful someone would bother to keep it alive, drive to a poor access point, walk down a track, just to release it upstream for no understandable motive.

A small shark can swim up a rapid as well as any other fish. We'll be up there in summer again this year. We caught it on a sausage about 9pm as we'd run out of bait. Will take a pic next time.

Sausage for bait! Love it. 🙂

Many moons ago I walked down to the old Redcliffe skateboard bowl. Dropped in on my board at the small end, rode through the keyway then went into the big bowl. It wasn't until I was really moving down the concrete transition that I saw a large dead bull shark laying in the bottom of the skateboard bowl. Scared the absolute hell out of me. I guess some fisho or trawler blokes though it would be funny. I was out of that bowl like the devil was on my tail !!!

On 07/10/2018 at 4:14 PM, PORTA-BLOKE said:

Seem to get away with weird bait at night more than any other time. I guess fish rely on smell more at night than they do in daylight. Sharks are scavengers anyway.

Or it could just be my cooking..?😋

Mate let me know when your next bbq is. Im in!!!! 🌭🥩🍖🍽️🤤

21 hours ago, Little Grey Men said:

Many moons ago I walked down to the old Redcliffe skateboard bowl. Dropped in on my board at the small end, rode through the keyway then went into the big bowl. It wasn't until I was really moving down the concrete transition that I saw a large dead bull shark laying in the bottom of the skateboard bowl. Scared the absolute hell out of me. I guess some fisho or trawler blokes though it would be funny. I was out of that bowl like the devil was on my tail !!!

Glad you made it out alive!! 🙂

Archived