Filleting Knives

When you say the blade is a little too wide, do you mean thick or deep? I have a Wenger swibo knife, which I think is the same as the Victorinox and find it is fine for most fish and I also have a Victorinox boning knife that is handy for the rare occasion I need to cut through bones on bigger fish. I also have a Marttiini knife which is a bit shorter and finer than the Swibo and is great for small fish like whiting. I am now in the process of learning how to use Japanese water stones for sharpening and it does make a difference. A really sharp knife makes the job so much quicker.

Could

10 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

When you say the blade is a little too wide, do you mean thick or deep? I have a Wenger swibo knife, which I think is the same as the Victorinox and find it is fine for most fish and I also have a Victorinox boning knife that is handy for the rare occasion I need to cut through bones on bigger fish. I also have a Marttiini knife which is a bit shorter and finer than the Swibo and is great for small fish like whiting. I am now in the process of learning how to use Japanese water stones for sharpening and it does make a difference. A really sharp knife makes the job so much quicker.

Could you share how you sharpen your knife? I bought a $160 knife and sharpen it in my crappy knife holding block and it seems to make it worse. Obviously this is not the best way lol. Any advice is much appreciated thanks mate.

5 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Which one would you recommend for filleting grinners Steve ......... ?  :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

When I was young and worked on a filleting line, we used to make our own. You would just start with standard knifes, then using a bench grinder, grind it until it suits the desired shape of the fish you'll be filleting. There is no one filleting knife that is perfect for all types of fish. Certain skins, scales and bones blunt fine knives very quickly, and a good steel and stone is just as important. Big fish require heavy knives to shear big bones, and using a fine knife will often result in you taking the edge off the knife, and/or slipping and cutting yourself. I've used several brands over the years, and while most are good at the start; eventually the amount of effort in keeping it at the desired sharpness isn't worth it.

I currently have a Victorinox Swibo as well, which is nice. I find it too big for whiting, and too fine for snapper. It is ideal for mackerel, in fact perfect, so it just goes to show. I've used the Eagle Claw and Berkley knives, and they're also good, but as I said blunt and chip over time. I also have two Shun's which are my pride and joy, but need a great amount of care due to the fact that they aren't stainless steel(actually a benefit, because they are harder and more brittle, hence sharpen easier). In all honesty, buy whatever, try them all, you can never have too many knives.

Archived