To Ozfish Unlimited Or Not To Ozfish Unlimited

Drop Bear

I spoke to Craig Copeland yesterday. He is the Founder and CEO of a not for profit organisation called Ozfish Unlimited (not to be confused with that other forum thing that sounds a lot like this but isn't and is in no way as good as this forum thing). He wants us to make a new Ozfish unlimited chapter. They are anglers that do projects around Australia and were heavily involved in the Oyster Reef Project in the Pumicestone Passage. 

What we would need to do is;

Step 1.  First you need to have a minimum of 3, preferably at least 4 members
who all sign on to Ozfish Unlimited and become financial members at 

https://ozfish.org.au/

Step 2. Have your members meet at an inaugural Annual General Meeting (AGM) and
find/vote 3 people willing to fill the roles as President, Secretary and
Treasurer.

Step 3.  Identify one or more potential fish habitat projects in your area that
you wish to work on.

Step 4. Have the Secretary fill out and sign the attached OzFish Unlimited
Chapter Bylaws document and return that document together with the list of
potential projects to me by email so I can forward it onto the relevant OzFish
staff.

Step 5.   Have the President and Treasurer (at a minimum) establish an account
at a Bank or Building Society for the collection and disbursement of funds. All
expenditure from the account shall require two signatories from approved
Chapter Office bearers.

Once you're set up we can then begin to work on your local council and look to
apply for funds from various sources to get you going...

cheers

---------------------------------

It costs $50 to join.

Craig lives in Lenox head and said he would be keen to meet us and chat through what Ozfish Unlimited is and could do for us.

Basically if we want to gain funding from Council or Government we need to be part of a registered not for profit organisation and have insurance. This could be a boring but easy way to jump through this hoop. 

What does everyone think? I mentioned that we have the social in a few weeks and he seemed very keen to catch up as the Gold Coast is a lot closer than Brisbane for him. Would this wreck the vibe of Saturday afternoon?

perhaps a few interested people could jump in a boat or 2 and meet him at a park near Southport of something?

What cha reckon?

24 minutes ago, christophagus said:

seems like very little effort to setup

although im no local to your area, id be happy to throw my hand up to be a member.

Thanks mate. I hope that this will benefit the whole area. There are similar projects up your way and perhaps we could discover other areas to do as well. 

Hey can I offer a suggestion... If we are going to establish chapters... Maybe we should make some smaller clubs. We can still use the website to discuss club matters etc. For example... Robbie we can rustle together the Australian Fishing Club: Wynnum Chapter which becomes the entity that signs up to Aus Fish... I would not make this post code dependent, anyone from all over coul join the Wynnum Chapter... It just means that they would be acknowledging that works we do would be to better the general Wynnum area (probably Moreton Bay as a whole).

This just leaves it open for maybe someone to start a Australian Fishing Club: Sunshine Coast Chapter (or even Australian Fishing Sydney!) etc... And those members would acknowledge they would be working specifically for their area. Club Chapters could still come together as a united "Australian Fishing" family for an annual or more regular celebration of what they have achieved.

I have not read enough into the finer print to see if this would work for OzFish but seems a good way to utilize their resources and possibly get a bigger ball rolling?

P.S. you can count me in as a Australian Fishing Club: Wynnum Chapter member for sure :)

17 minutes ago, Angus said:

Maybe we should make some smaller clubs. We can still use the website to discuss club matters etc. For example... Robbie we can rustle together the Australian Fishing Club: Wynnum Chapter which becomes the entity that signs up to Aus Fish...

Ok. I definitely need to sit down with some beer and talk this through.

Beer + fishing talk = Good

I have never done something like this before but keen to give it a red hot go. 

10 hours ago, Angus said:

Hey can I offer a suggestion... If we are going to establish chapters... Maybe we should make some smaller clubs. We can still use the website to discuss club matters etc. For example... Robbie we can rustle together the Australian Fishing Club: Wynnum Chapter which becomes the entity that signs up to Aus Fish... I would not make this post code dependent, anyone from all over coul join the Wynnum Chapter... It just means that they would be acknowledging that works we do would be to better the general Wynnum area (probably Moreton Bay as a whole).

This just leaves it open for maybe someone to start a Australian Fishing Club: Sunshine Coast Chapter (or even Australian Fishing Sydney!) etc... And those members would acknowledge they would be working specifically for their area. Club Chapters could still come together as a united "Australian Fishing" family for an annual or more regular celebration of what they have achieved.

I have not read enough into the finer print to see if this would work for OzFish but seems a good way to utilize their resources and possibly get a bigger ball rolling?

P.S. you can count me in as a Australian Fishing Club: Wynnum Chapter member for sure :)

The Clubs section of the AFO site is perfect for this :10_wink:

http://www.australianfishing.com.au/clubs/

Lots of features to create and manage a club.

22 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Ok. I definitely need to sit down with some beer and talk this through.

Beer + fishing talk = Good

I have never done something like this before but keen to give it a red hot go. 

Yeah we should have a yarn this weekend... lots of potential...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Kendaric

Your time would be more productive countering the 'anti-fishing' groups, like the Greens, PETA, RSPCA and other left wing groups that have infiltrated the government/ fisheries sector.

Filling out fisheries surveys at boat ramps by well meaning "generally older" volunteers equates to the most part, shooting ourselves in the foot, for a start.

These surveys only give a number - and don't take into effect all the other influences such as degree of tide, wind direction etc. 

1 hour ago, Kendaric said:

Your time would be more productive countering the 'anti-fishing' groups, like the Greens, PETA, RSPCA and other left wing groups that have infiltrated the government/ fisheries sector.

Filling out fisheries surveys at boat ramps by well meaning "generally older" volunteers equates to the most part, shooting ourselves in the foot, for a start.

These surveys only give a number - and don't take into effect all the other influences such as degree of tide, wind direction etc. 

fair enough. I tend to disagree with your first point. I just want to make the fishery better and have no knowledge of what you are referring to. 

I know a few of the people that conduct the surveys personally. They are paid, but not saying all of them are paid. I hope you are wrong about it being a bad thing but I wouldn't know and I agree they surveys wouldnt be a perfect way to find out what is being caught. 

Sounds like you are passionate about it. Id encourage you to counter the groups you mentioned. 

22 minutes ago, Kendaric said:

Afraid I disagree.

Doing something positive whilst it may be little at the start can grow into something bigger and if nothing does eventuate at least you can hold your head high and say that at least you tried.

At least the ramp surveys provides some data which is a starting point and the data is probably massaged to allow for all different scenarios.

Whilst there is a lot of data gleaned from the commercial fishing sector there is very little from the recreation sector.

The only comprehensive date from any sector of the recreation fishery is the information available from the daily  catch data and survey days collated by the PRFMA for Lake Sampsonvale .

This data has been massaged by Stephan Sawnock from Infofish and provides some very interesting results.

My rambling rant for the day

Cheers

Ray

SEQ water recently engaged a group of different scientists to conduct a "what if " study on Lake Sampsonvale and it was amazing the results that they were able to develop for different scenerios ranging from overflowing sewerage works,dead cows.cows calving,rainfall events and droughts.

From this study which was a world first they have developed a comprehensive management plan for the dam and are actively rolling it out to all their other dams 

10 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Update.

I am meeting with Craig Copeland on Tuesday. He wants to talk through how we set things up. Perhaps PM me if you would like to come. 

I have no idea who Craig Copeland is, but if you would like someone to accompany you I am available. Just let me know when and where.

Guest Kendaric
13 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I tend to disagree with your first point. I just want to make the fishery better .....

That is a good point, and it is better to focus on something positive, than to delve into anti-groups, as that just adds to the negativity.

18 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

SEQ water recently engaged a group of different scientists to conduct a "what if " study on Lake Sampsonvale and it was amazing the results that they were able to develop for different scenerios ranging from overflowing sewerage works,dead cows.cows calving,rainfall events and droughts.

Very cool. 

• 3 weeks later...

Great first meeting fellas and thanks for hosting Rob - the snags went down a treat and was good to lay my eyes on the might Quampie, a mighty fine rig indeed!!  I can see why you're in love :) 

Confirming the following official titles:

President - @Drop Bear

Treasurer - @ellicat

Secretary - @kmcrosby78

Assets Manager - @Howler

Do-er of all the jobs we don't want to do - @Angus .......... ;)

Nice one guys. 2 questions...

How easy is it to sign up more general members now?

And did you come up with a name?

Happy with position as it is all I would want to commit to this year anyway. Life is hectic enough amd study recommences soon as does the conference weekends.

40 minutes ago, Angus said:

Nice one guys. 2 questions...

How easy is it to sign up more general members now?

And did you come up with a name?

Happy with position as it is all I would want to commit to this year anyway. Life is hectic enough amd study recommences soon as does the conference weekends.

Easy to sign up new members - just sign up with Ozfish Unlimited or not - If you want in you are in. The more helpers the better. :)

We just decided to keep it simple and went with Ozfish Unlimited Central Moreton Chapter.

Email has been sent to Craig so I am looking forward to getting some feedback.

Some details probably been covered by the efficient Ellicat;

Name - Central Moreton Chapter OzFish Unlimited... should it be Central Moreton Bay? hmmm.

This is the area that we will be representing.

5a8a99f97d224_WynnumChapterarea.png.9913cfbea1feb19d54ebc07051421057.png

As you can see in includes Blakesley's. Hopefully we can have a few camps there. 

First project is to restore oyster reefs to Wynnum area.

Future projects will see these areas expanded and Salt Marsh conservation/protection.

Archived