Quampie Needs An Eski

Drop Bear

So here is a pic of the layout of my boat. Sorry for the messy shot with the tools in it. Doing a few jobs.

20180117_073517.thumb.jpg.3290034037e1e0fdd80277cbd972a339.jpg20180117_073529.thumb.jpg.cc4d3aabe935dff2ff63a107384a57e4.jpg

I am tending to put the left seat in the more forward spot as it is a bit easier with the tiller steer if I need to turn right in a hurry. I need to put an eski in it and I would like it to fit large Spanish and Cobia etc.

My questions are;

1- Do you have a favorite brand of Eski? Why do you like these? I cant find any on Reel Tackle, did i miss them? 

2- what is the ideal length?

3- Am I being silly? Its a small boat. Should I use a smaller one and buy a fish bag from Reel Tackel? What size is best?

http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=115&p=product&id=21246&parent=332&vendorid=2

v2-midi_bag.jpg.d7fdc48e0708d1b01d308e7bea6f6649.jpg

4- Where would the eski you like go and how do I stop it from sliding around the boat? 

Some Ideas are;

• Up front on the main deck but tied to the front hatch. Either length ways or sideways. I think length ways would help be able to get to the anchor etc.
  • Up front on the Starboard side tied to the gunwale. Some times it would be in the way if fighting a big fish. It should fit in front of the side pocket.
  • Down the back in front of live bait tank. I don't really like this as it will get in the way from time to time. 

5- Is there a way that they gauge the insulation level? I'd like one that keeps cold for 3 days. 

I have a few eskis already but I dont think they are suitable. Big blue one is good but massive. Its hard to get in and out even for 2 people and I hope a long skinny one would take up less room. Long white one is about the right size but the insulation seems to be a bit dodgy. I dont know how to check this. Yellow one is a good eski but too short. It is a good snapper one and if I get the fish cooler bag i will upgrade the catches and use this. Little blue one is ok but quite small. fills up too quick even for snapper. 

20180117_073653.thumb.jpg.38d6e167c8f142fd8d8e17d23cdff62d.jpg20180117_073512.thumb.jpg.14bc4b1982b868afc807f74b5e0b72c9.jpg20180117_073449.thumb.jpg.9ee3bb766720cee030e987ee4b789b80.jpg

So for the social I will probably take the little blue one and the white one but hopfully will buy one in a week or so. 

Thanks DB

video-1488930131.mp4

I don't sell eskies Robbie as they are too expensive to freight around the county without special freight contracts in place for specialized items.

Eskies full of ice or fish won't slide around much and generally can just sit on the floor so then you can move them around to balance the boat depending on the pob or sea states at the time.

Any of those 3 eskies are fine, especially for day trips but weekends away you do need a good one that will hold ice otherwise you can use dry ice that will even keep stuff frozen.

That blue one is a cracker for weekends away.

There is times in a boat that you have to make room for gear like that because you need ice no matter what.

You have a good spot where that gaff is mounted but it will come down to boat balance on the day.

The esky and sit anywhere while travelling and then slide it to the middle of the floor when fishing.

You have a lot of room and plenty of options without spending any more money.

Robbie I have the Techni ice 70l signature which has 74mm walls. The thing with any esk they will benefit from being pre-cooled. 

So far I have been very happy with mine and can fit a fish up to a 1 meter in it. Remember the larger the esky the more ice as well. Mine takes 6 x 5kg bags to fill.

Things that I like about it is that it has stainless latches, i always see rubber or tarp pull straps stretch and break. They are also inside the dimensions of the box so as not to get damaged.

The handles are H/duty rope that have H/duty grips, when carrying it they are above the top of the esky so they don't jam your hand.

twin seals, one being a rubber fridge seal.

raised feet moulded into the esk to minimise heat transfer from floor.

Big 50mm plug for empting the esky of water and ice.

In stead of getting a bigger one i'm thinking of just getting another the same so they can be stacked on top of each other.

In a smaller boat the bag esky would be good on the odd occasion you need it, but you still will have to have enough ice on board for to be effective.

As much as we would all like our boats set up from the start the best way to do it is to use it and slowly do things in order of importance and see what works and what doesn't before spending money you may not need to.

I have had my boat just over 12 months and bit by bit I have made small modifications.

Have you considered using the esky as you seat - get a marine cushion made for the top?

I did this with my Hornet - had a 110l Waeco ice box and it was just the right height to sit on and could take fish up to a metre long. plenty of knock offs out there that appear to be rebadged and sell for cheaper.

49 minutes ago, marty said:

Have you considered using the esky as you seat - get a marine cushion made for the top?

I did this with my Hornet - had a 110l Waeco ice box and it was just the right height to sit on and could take fish up to a metre long. plenty of knock offs out there that appear to be rebadged and sell for cheaper.

hmmmm interesting. lot more space... I wonder. 

2 hours ago, aussie123 said:

I don't sell eskies Robbie as they are too expensive to freight around the county without special freight contracts in place for specialized items.

Eskies full of ice or fish won't slide around much and generally can just sit on the floor so then you can move them around to balance the boat depending on the pob or sea states at the time.

Any of those 3 eskies are fine, especially for day trips but weekends away you do need a good one that will hold ice otherwise you can use dry ice that will even keep stuff frozen.

That blue one is a cracker for weekends away.

There is times in a boat that you have to make room for gear like that because you need ice no matter what.

You have a good spot where that gaff is mounted but it will come down to boat balance on the day.

The esky and sit anywhere while travelling and then slide it to the middle of the floor when fishing.

You have a lot of room and plenty of options without spending any more money.

Fair call. I will try the blue one for a few more trips. I find that in a chop the eski bounces back to the back of the boat over time. Perhaps if I put some straps on the starboard where you saw the gaff it would be ok there. 

Have you ever tried to freeze water bottles full of water instead of the ice cream tubs of water? And use them in the slurry? Does it get cold enough? I have a good freezer and would like to have an option that doesn't see me spending $20 or more on ice each trip. 

7 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Fair call. I will try the blue one for a few more trips. I find that in a chop the eski bounces back to the back of the boat over time. Perhaps if I put some straps on the starboard where you saw the gaff it would be ok there. 

Have you ever tried to freeze water bottles full of water instead of the ice cream tubs of water? And use them in the slurry? Does it get cold enough? I have a good freezer and would like to have an option that doesn't see me spending $20 or more on ice each trip. 

Water bottles chill the water but it doesn't get anywhere near as cold as ice in the water

1 minute ago, aussie123 said:

Salt water makes longer lasting ice but you can also throw in a handful of pool salt to do the same job at home

awesome thanks mate. Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate your help. I'm looking forward to catching up on the weekend... even if I dont go outside... Sunday looking worse now... 15-20 at 7am on Met Eye. I will be down there anyhow so will play it by ear... I wish I could make the Friday morning run. 

6 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

awesome thanks mate. Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate your help. I'm looking forward to catching up on the weekend... even if I dont go outside... Sunday looking worse now... 15-20 at 7am on Met Eye. I will be down there anyhow so will play it by ear... I wish I could make the Friday morning run. 

Its a social weekend anyway mate.

Personally I couldn't care less if we don't get out,lol

Bring some big plastics and bash the jews in the seaway over the pipeline.

For day trips chasing pelagics that white one would be fine, it's not like you need super duper insulation for one day. I just freeze a couple of old 5 litre pool acid containers a few days before. Freezer gets them down to -21. Throw them in the esky the night before to chill it down. Once on the water I throw in another 5 litres of salt water.  Happy chappy for the day. 

Actually, ignore all that and buy yourself a Yeti. They're bear proof. The Tundra 75 at $599 is a bargain :)

2 hours ago, Tybo said:

I thought you would've been convinced since PNG @Drop Bear, that the way to go is to just throw on the deck and leave there till you get home. Don't spike, bleed, or ice, after all what's the point, eskies are for the beer. :whistle:

hahaha yep and probably not surprisingly they do the same in Fiji. I struggled with this for a while and wondered if we were worrying for no real reason. 

I got to find out the difference though. While you can eat fish like that when they are well treated the meat is a lot firmer and sweeter. Less of the trevally stinky taste. 

When i was younger Robbie we did not have good eskies for our long weekends away so our fish always sat in a wet hession bag out of the sun most of the day till they were cleaned and put into an esky.

Larger fish we tethered off a log to keep them alive and then collected them on the way home.

Providing they were regularly dunked into the water to wet them down, they were good to eat.

Our beer kegs were tied off trees in the lake to keep them as chilled as possible to try and save the ice when tapping them.

We had the same over in West Papua, all fish caught from daylight to near dark were tossed under the wooden floor of the long boat and eaten than night.

Facebook these days has fish going rotten within an hour of being caught.

People these days do not seem to know or understand how people lived before them without all the mod cons that they have now grown up with.

Archived