They Are Back.

rayke1938

Not too good start to the day this morning. Left home nice and early at 4.05 and about 10 ks from home realised that I had left my wallet at home. Normally this would not be a drama but I had planned to fill up with cheap diesel at the red dog at petrie as it is 10c a litre cheaper than at home and I only had enough fuel to get to the dam so a quick return home to get wallet and laughed at by wife and dog.

The dog was already cracking a pooyey on me as I was not taking her for her morning run in the dog park.

Headed off again and on the gateway near the Deagon on ramp in the pouring rain i found a free ladder in the middle of the left lane. At first i thought it was a carton in the middle of the road and swerved to miss it and realised it was a ladder the rain then got heavier and next thing I found another ladder and hit it fair and square as I did not see it in time to swerve.

Luckily I was going slowly but it still gave me a hell of a fright . I pulled over and had a quick look and got nice and wet but could not see any damage .

When I got to the gate of the dam saw that one of the trailer mudguard support brackets had a good bend in it and the impact had caused one of the dura hubs to fall off.

The good part is that Rick was there yesterday and had dropped in 4 redclaw pots as we had been getting small redclaw in our shrimp pots recently.

We ended up with half of a basket of redclaw.

No whoppers put they will continue to grow .

Rain and wind was a bit of a pain and the bass are still slow and scattered but still a fun day with great company.

Will be pulling more of our shrimp traps and replacing them with opera house pots on Wednesday.

Cheers

Ray

npd 28118 001 (640x480).jpg

npd 28118 002 (640x480).jpg

npd 28118 004 (640x480).jpg

npd 28118 005 (640x480).jpg

npd 28118 006 (640x480).jpg

npd 28118 007 (640x480).jpg

npd 28118 008 (640x480).jpg

npd 28118 009 (640x480).jpg

wow lots of redclaw mate. They look fantastic. I have enjoyed eating the ones I took home. 

Did you pick up one of the ladders? It is a good reminder for me. I forgot to engage the tongue on the trailer the other day. It is quite front end heavy and I didn't have to go far so it didn't pop off but still gave me a fright. Daughter Drop Bear was helping and for some reason I didn't do my normal 6 point check... 

Glad you still got some nice Bass. 

Geez, @rayke1938 that could have been a whole lot worse. Glad you are ok. @Drop Bear when I was backing down the ramp at Burrum Heads recently there was an older couple beside me struggling with their trailer. Turned out they hadn’t locked the coupling onto the tow ball and as soon as they hit the slope on the ramp it jumped off and they were in all sorts but at least they had only come a few hundred metres to the ramp and not had the trailer drop onto the safety chain on the highway.

Yeah, I did that once, hooked boat on, and like Robbie's was front heavy

Didn't drop the lockdown on the hitch but didn't know till I pushed the boat

off into the water and trailer bounced off the tow ball,  :whistle: still had saftey chain on 

but it's a wake up call for all of us. I'd towed it from one side of Townsville to the other,

about 20 klm's.:no:

Cheers

Gary

12 hours ago, Angry51 said:

off into the water and trailer bounced off the tow ball,  :whistle: still had saftey chain on 

but it's a wake up call for all of us. I'd towed it from one side of Townsville to the other,

Cheers

Gary

Glad it worked out ok for you. 

15 hours ago, Angry51 said:

Cheers

Gary

This is why I never ever stand one leg each side of the draw bar! I too have had a close encounter

Archived