Preference In Braids

Angus

I used to not be to smobby regarding braids but the more lures I throw the more I get really partocular...

I have had a run of average experiences but really wanting to know what others use.

I am about to get 2 new spools for a 1000 and a 2500 size reel but happy to hear about preferences for heavier combos.

Was having this chat with mate Joel over the weekend which was spawned by his brand new Daiwa J Braid having constant failures. It casted poorly, and seemed to fray all the time. It was so bad I was convinvced there was a crack in a guide or the bale arm bearing was not spinning but a change of braid later and no issues. Important to note that this was Daiwa J Braid 4 strand not 8.

Joel got a spool of Siglon which he raves about (sunline makes it) and it was awesome to the touch and very thin for repsective breaking strain. I will probably go down this road but I thought this was still a worthwhile topic of coversation for others.

Cheers.

Angus

On all my heavy combos(20lb, 30lb and 50lb) @Angus I run Powerpro. I have had some for years that is still in excellent condition, smooth and strong. I have one combo(20lb) that I run Fins Original, and in my experience I cannot tell the difference. The fish in my profile picture was caught on this combo, and as you saw the trebles/split rings were pulled almost straight without any worry to the line. IMO they are both(Powerpro and Fins) sensational, have never failed me and stand the test of time.

I have another combo that I recently(12 months ago) spooled with J-braid just to see the comparison. It is priced well considering it is Japanese made. I was very surprised that the colour left the line very quickly, what was fluro yellow on purchase is now and a creamy white after not too much use. It is difficult to cut even with super sharp snips, and tends to squash and fray; but the strength is there. I haven't been pushed to the limits on it yet, so time will tell.

I have also loaded up my lighter outfits(2-4kg) with Sunline Super PE, but can't speak for it in full just yet. It feels good, and ties easily, but will just have to wait and see.

Lately I have been using aldi braid and at this stage cant fault it. As I fish often it gets a good workout on the bass. I use 8lb for upright jigging, 12lbs for casting and jigging, 17 and 20lb for trolling and bank fishing. When it looks faded I just reverse it and when it looks faded again, out it goes. It has saved me a lot of coin over the last 3 years.

Dino

I have only used the Daiwa J Braid in 80lb on the electric reels and it has been really good.

A roll will pull many tons of fish before we replace it and it's usually replace because of a low spool and not from fatigue.

I am thinking of buying some for a casting reel to try on the Black Bass next month.

13 hours ago, aussie123 said:

I have only used the Daiwa J Braid in 80lb on the electric reels and it has been really good.

A roll will pull many tons of fish before we replace it and it's usually replace because of a low spool and not from fatigue.

I am thinking of buying some for a casting reel to try on the Black Bass next month.

That is good to hear @Dinodadog. I bought a couple of spools last time they were on sale. I thought I would keep them as spares in the unlikely event I get spooled when I am out on the tinny, so good to know they are ok. Not that I can find where I put them now.:no:

Shimano Ocea ex8 And Varivas casting are my favourites so far for 20lb plus  

I haven’t found a good sub 20lb 8 strand yet and I’ve tried toray sea bass, Varivas, ygk G soul, and shimano mission complete. They all see to break according to the #pe rule of thumb of #1 pe equals 10lb. The shimano mission complete casted amazingly but the 12lb broke at like 5lb!

Despite being very highly rated the ygk g soul was the worst with constant wind knots and terrible abrasion resistance. It took a few good fish lost before I realised it was the braids fault and respooled three reels of it. 

5 hours ago, Angus said:

Bit the bullet... will report how it goes...20180206_114144.jpg

I just noticed the error in the picture as well... this stuff is so thin for the lb rating I got 8 and 12 not 6 amd 8. 

Still feels light as but will hopefully serve well in the snaggier country.

11 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Haha now im confused. Photo has 6lb and 10lb. Do I win the stupid award or the pedent award?

Ok so what I did was... I orignally got 6 and 8 off teh shelf and took a picture.... However... At the counter after a good chat with Adam Merideth at Tackle Warehouse he advised that as the braid is soooooooo thin, I might as well spec up. So I did. So the pictured braid was just to show brand these are not the ones I bought.

Angus

18 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

No, as far as I can tell @Angus does ....... but my brain hurts from FAR too much work and he has two young children, so who knows what is going on ............ :whistle:

Yep i'll blame the children too :)

Should someone tell angus to look at his photo?

Haha ok to be fair the pe8 could be confusing. 

It sounds like a dodgy x rated video rather than a braid,  but I've been using Duel Hardcore X8. Super thin , smooth and strong. I use it in PE.6 and .8 and it has a breaking strain of 13lb and 16lb respectively.

I only use the white one. Seem to lose sight of the coloured version they do. Price is less than $30 if you order a few. The range goes up to 100lb breaking strain.

24 minutes ago, Angus said:

Oh dear. I don't know how many ways to say the braid pictured IS NOT the ones I bought and am using.

Haha. We know mate but the picture has 6lb and 10lb line in it not 6 and 8. Its so not important just like a typo... i was just having a silly pedantic dig sorry... Hey im taking howler for a fish Sunday morning if you have time from 5.30 to 9ish???

10 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Haha. We know mate but the picture has 6lb and 10lb line in it not 6 and 8. Its so not important just like a typo... i was just having a silly pedantic dig sorry... Hey im taking howler for a fish Sunday morning if you have time from 5.30 to 9ish???

Casurina :)

Archived