Moreton Bay Oyster Reef And Fishing Club Name.

Drop Bear

This is the January post for an ongoing Moreton Bay Oyster Reef restoration project. There is more info in this thread. 

@ellicat and I had a great meeting with Craig Copland from Oz Fish Unlimited this week. 

Basically they offer a lot of things we can use to get the Moreton Bay Oyster Reef project up and running.

The first step we need to do is get a list of people that want to be involved. We all live busy lives so please don't think I am putting any pressure on any one to get involved. A few of us have shown an interest and I will clearly mark any topics with what this is so if it is not your thing it is totally cool. Please let me know if I am overstepping the mark at any time. 

Interested people need to become members of Oz Fish Unlimited. This costs $25.

https://ozfish.org.au/membership/

They are keeping it under their hat but they are hoping that members are going to be offered a $50 gift voucher to BCF when they renew membership so probably a good investment anyhow (this is not a thing yet). Membership gets you a hat and a sticker and some other stuff.

Then we need to have a BBQ and a beer at my house and go through a few things. We need to;

• Name our Chapter 
  • Decide where our chapter will work
  • Decide a few titles for people
  • Register the chapter
  • Have another bbq and beers and laugh a lot. 

Oz Fish have; 

• Insurance for members, volunteers and public liability,
  • Funds available for these sorts of projects,
  • Political muscle to get these projects approved,
  • Experience on how best to go about things like this as well as writing grants for council and govt,
  • Scientists on hand to give us great info and guidelines,
  • Great contacts with BCF including Tingalpa (for fund raising if we want)
  • lots of other benefits.

Another thing we should all discuss as it involves everyone.  @angus said we should start a fishing club "Australian Fishing Club" so we can just have a banner and this would be attached to AFO. I don't know much about how this would work so would love your feedback. 

I hope this will all help us get lots of prizes from BCF for AFO competitions. I hope it will help revitalise AFO with prizes for competitions like the North v South, Fish of the Month, Report of the Month type things and encourage younger anglers get involved in AFO. Prizes yay! There could be prizes for things like socials, wanderers and Christmas parties. 

Again, please don't feel any pressure to join Oz Fish or even be involved in the Moreton Bay Oyster Reef project. This is just for people that want to get involved and I feel wont disrupt the awesome AFO site. Please let me know if you agree or if I am over stepping the mark in any way. 

Thanks

5 hours ago, Angus said:

I would be keen on something truly generic such as "Wynnum Fishing Club"... Might be able to get some sort of facility down the track as a cimmunity group from the local government/council?

Angus

yep sounds good. or Australian Fishing Club to match AFO. I'm happy to go with what works the best. 

6 hours ago, ellicat said:

My suggestion -

Brisbane Oyster Club

Might be a bit ambitious, but allows for growth over the years ahead.
BOC.jpg.2c017bf5d228e0306f470560d3d14634.jpg

Also that map looks perfect from my perspective. Nice work. 

The only thing is id personally like to add the west shore of North Stradbroke island as I know that water well and it has one great oyster bed that I think we should survey as part of the lead up work. 

In my selfish mind we get free trips to cruse around moreton bay filming fish and environments. Putting out oyster traps and then having our own semi secret reefs to fish.

In my generous mind we do a great thing for the bay that will make very positive long lasting improvements. 

Referring to the map -

That's a pretty massive area. It'd be a huge undertaking, with what is currently only a handful of people, to make a difference, I believe. (Not trying to be negative, just don't want to bite-off more than we an chew). I'm still happy to help whatever we decide. :)

I'm definitely in to help with this. I'll have a chat to my old man and gauge his interest also - might be a good project/interest for him and another excuse to get him out on the water.

With regards to the boundaries/map you are discussing - I'm assuming this will then have ramifications for whether we are likely to attract funding? ie. we'd need to show that, with the number of volunteers we have, we are going to be able to make a noticeable difference to whatever area we nominate as our 'domain'?

Oh and Rob, not that I'm committing to this because "we get free trips to cruse around moreton bay filming fish and environments", but to clarify, do you mean that if we get funding members/volunteers would be able to log/claim fuel expenses?

I'll sign up on the weekend :) 

11 hours ago, ellicat said:

Referring to the map -

That's a pretty massive area. It'd be a huge undertaking, with what is currently only a handful of people, to make a difference, I believe. (Not trying to be negative, just don't want to bite-off more than we an chew). I'm still happy to help whatever we decide. :)

Yes it seems daunting but it is simply a reference to where our Chapter will be working in. Its sort of a future proof thing rather than we need to make a difference now thing. 

We would only need one or two sites in that space to start with but it would be fun to have any these spaces to choose from. 

10 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Oh and Rob, not that I'm committing to this because "we get free trips to cruse around moreton bay filming fish and environments", but to clarify, do you mean that if we get funding members/volunteers would be able to log/claim fuel expenses?

I am yet to know how it all works but yes that is what I hope to have happen. We will need to do fish surveys and oyster catch surveys. These will be funded. So yes if we are going to have expenses including fuel it should be all claimable. It is really early and I am only just starting to learn and the ins and outs are still very unclear to me but how much fun would that be to get to explore the bay more and then make it better?

10 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

With regards to the boundaries/map you are discussing - I'm assuming this will then have ramifications for whether we are likely to attract funding? ie. we'd need to show that, with the number of volunteers we have, we are going to be able to make a noticeable difference to whatever area we nominate as our 'domain'?

To be honest I don't think that it matters if we can make a difference to the whole area. I just want to make a difference to a few small areas first. The map in my mind is just an indication on where we might want to work rather than what we expect to make perfect.

Some times perfection is the enemy of better. I hope we can just strive for better (and have a lot of fun along the way :))

Archived