Hey Everyone

dvs

Hey fisherpeople just sayin gday from north gong nsw. 

I like getting out on the rocks for big drummer, sometimes I get decent grouper and bream and 2-3kg snapper. Wanting to catch big kings off rocks with big plastics and  lures. Had a little luck so far, enough to encourage me to continue but it hasn't quite happened yet.

I also like throwing small lures and plastics for bream, flatties and bass. Bought a lox rod about a month ago and I think im hooked. perfect for these guys but pretty keen to see what i could get in the surf with it throwing slightly bigger lures and plastics than the finesse stuff. I think a big sambo would be heaps of fun!

Anyways look forward to chatting and sharing stories... long ass fishing stories

Dave

13 minutes ago, dvs said:

like getting out on the rocks for big drummer,

Hi Dave,

Welcome to AFO.

What bait do you use for the drummer? I have only ever caught small ones. Also do you get the blue groper there? I'd love to see one. 

@Angus is fully pro at fishing rocky foreshores with small soft plastics. He seems to catch a feed every time. 

Welcome to the site mate. Would love to see more content from down that.

Despite being based in Brisbane many of those fishing types are similar to what I do up here both on the rocks and in the kayak.

Look forward to yuor reports and knowledge sharing.

Feel free to throw up any pictures if you have any.

Angus

3 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Hi Dave,

Welcome to AFO.

What bait do you use for the drummer? I have only ever caught small ones. Also do you get the blue groper there? I'd love to see one. 

@Angus is fully pro at fishing rocky foreshores with small soft plastics. He seems to catch a feed every time. 

Dont know about pro but I do enjoy it. Incidentally you do pretty well over at Straddy yourself mate!

thanks guys for your warm welcome!

14 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Hey Drop Bear, i use a simple cooked prawn (usually venamei.. or however its spelt) on a 2/0 double strength suicide or snapper hook (mustard). I use a running pea sinker. or 2 if its windy or swelly. Drummer can also be caught using sea cabbage or cunji but this takes more time and a hunt at low tide generally.. but my biggest drummers tend to be on prawn.. usually whole.

As for grouper.. for the handful that I've caught only one, a couple years ago, was a blue.. being a couple years ago finding a photo would prove to be a mission.. and in the excitement of it all half the time I forget to take a photo.  it was the  size of a 20L fishing bucket. 

Every now and then I get lucky and have some fun out there..

20150724_173327.jpg

20170326_101037.jpg

20150724_163858.jpg

yeah I dont really chase silvers either, but dont complain when they hit! always big, haven't caught a single small silver funny enough.  The blacks taste heaps better imo. tbh i wouldn't even keep a silver now. they're not that bad but black drummer is great eating 

10 hours ago, dvs said:

Hey Drop Bear, i use a simple cooked prawn (usually venamei.. or however its spelt) on a 2/0 double strength suicide or snapper hook (mustard). I use a running pea sinker. or 2 if its windy or swelly. Drummer can also be caught using sea cabbage or cunji but this takes more time and a hunt at low tide generally.. but my biggest drummers tend to be on prawn.. usually whole.

As for grouper.. for the handful that I've caught only one, a couple years ago, was a blue.. being a couple years ago finding a photo would prove to be a mission.. and in the excitement of it all half the time I forget to take a photo.  it was the  size of a 20L fishing bucket. 

Nice work mate. I have only caught small silvers and small blacks and never a blue. Thanks for letting me know about the baits. 

I'm in QLD and we use Cunji a bit from Cape Moreton and Point Lookout. is it still legal in NSW to use it?  For some reason I thought it had changed and I don't want to do the wrong thing. 

On 02/02/2018 at 10:23 PM, dvs said:

thanks guys for your warm welcome!

20150724_173327.jpg

20170326_101037.jpg

20150724_163858.jpg

Awesome mate! Looks like epic country you have there. I love a good session on the stones :)

Archived