My Wet Threesome

Luke Landrunner

After a frustrating Krispy Kreme in the sunny and hot Noosa River on Wednesday morning I turned my attention to the fresh of Lake Borumba. Although the Friday morning forecast had a high chance of precipitation, the cool overcast and low wind conditions were appealing.I packed everything up the day before and headed up to the health retreat at Greens Creek that my better half Co-manages.My day job these days is a bit of grounds keeping, maintenance and being the "Soup Nazi" in the kitchen ( my ratatouille is legendary and eases the guests into their first night ).

Getting to the beautiful Lake just before first light, the predicted showers began.Two boats turned up and i saw only one other launch the whole session i was there. I pedalled across to a spot where i had some luck late last year. Attached on my first rod was an Arbogast jointed Jitterbug surface lure in a green tree frog colour and on the second, the same brand but 60mm in black. The weed beds had grown since my last visit and had formed a barrier to the timber and overhanging trees.

I found a clearing with weed to each side and timber plus the added bonus of a big flowering bottlebrushin the middle. Peppering the area with a dozen or so casts, I got distracted by the loud squawking of a moor hen and squawked back at it. Of course as I did this I got my first hit of the day and failed to hook up. After a few more casts I moved on to some other clear structure with no results. There was plenty of surface action around in-between the showers and the sounder had me interested on what was below.

Before moving over to the other side of the Lake in knew I had to give the first spot another going over. Sure enough after a few casts a big hit on the lure and some acrobatics I had my first Saratoga of the day in the kayak. I grabbed the waterproof camera for a happy snap and turned it on, and again, and again. Crap battery dead and no photo. ( IT HAPPENED @Drop Bear ) A quick measure and the 49cm fish was safely released.

Off the mark, I headed over to the other side. Plenty of casts in likely spots as I made my way along the edges, all that was hooked up was a very heavy bunch of weed that pulled the front treble anchor out of the lure.I swapped over to the second setup to give the all black a go. With the lure paused in the water I turned to watch a boat coming in to the ramp. Bang another hit and a big swirl was all that I saw. Bugger ! The number of times I get a hit when distracted....:frantics:

Continuing on in the drizzle I came to a little inlet that looked most likely and no sooner had the lure hit the water, a second Saratoga had started doing its dance. Woohoo two Togas, a first in one session and a PB at 59.99cm. This was worth being moist !

Looking for a hat-trick, I kept moving along until a wayward cast went higher and longer over the fork of a tree in about a metre of water. There was no way that lure was staying up there and after about ten minutes of different strategies, the lure fell from its two and a half metre perch.

Giving the surface a rest for a while, down went a blade. For about five minutes. There"s something about watching a surface lure that interests me more than sending something under and that"s why 99% of my fishing is just that. ( Offshore is a different story of course )

So back to the black Jitterbug and soon enough a very very feisty Saratoga makes its way into the net and into the kayak and then somersaults out the other side, luckily still pinned and then netted again and back into the kayak ( Does it count as two ?:whistle: ) WOOOOHOOOO  a triple treat of Saratoga ! This Toga with attitude went 55cm and was happy to swim off.

Getting greedy I had visions of adding a forth or perhaps a Bass and pedalled on. About ten minutes later I thought  very heavy rain was approaching but instead it was the start of the wind picking up and the end of the session was called.

Really enjoying the beautiful Lake Borumba with heaps more still to explore on the Yak.

1 hour ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great session and report Luke, congrats on the three toga's. Although I must say the Title of the report threw me ........ the whole way through it I was wondering when @Luvit entered the fray and then became confused who the other members involved with your 'threesome' were going to turn out to be ........... :whistle::devil:

I am actually having @Luvit withdrawals as I've been busy for the last three planned trips......:no:

Archived