Offshore Overnight Deckie Spot (filled By Rus_ty) Report Added

Luvit

I will be heading out tomorrow (Friday) night after work to launch at Bribie Island heading across to Moreton Island to sleep for the night.

Early start Saturday to head offshore chasing Dollies, Marlin and Mackerel don't know return time, depends on how we are going.

Share in fuel costs depending on km's traveled half share would be in the vicinity of $150 

Must not get seasick or snore. 

If interested let me know.

3 minutes ago, Luke Landrunner said:

( Dad's birthday could have been next week ............ :baby:)

Thanks Luke, next week is our for me with my wife's and son's Birthdays.

The weekend after that though I will looking to plan a few days away weather pending. Keep it in mind.

G

2 hours ago, Luvit said:

I will be heading out tomorrow (Friday) night after work to launch at Bribie Island heading across to Moreton Island to sleep for the night.

Early start Saturday to head offshore chasing Dollies, Marlin and Mackerel don't know return time, depends on how we are going.

Share in fuel costs depending on km's traveled half share would be in the vicinity of $150 

Must not get seasick or snore. 

If interested let me know.

Gday @Luvit I'm keen and interested in this opportunity.

What time would I need to be in Bribie by Friday?

What else would I need?

Swag = Check

Rods = Check (but not sure if they would suit the big catch)

Seasick = Been out plenty of times in Vic and not had any issues.

Fuel Money = Too easy!!

Yesterday has come and gone. Russell and I had a pleasant night sleep thanks to the calm conditions. We headed off early in anticipation of great things to come our way.

We started trolling bibbed lures in the hope of getting a mackerel of some kind but by 7.30am no interest shown so we headed out wider of the reefs to see if we could get a Marlin or Dolly.  After a while trolling and no hits I decided to slow down and change the lure spread and kept the motor in forward gear. This was blessing in disguise, as we were about to pull the lures in the 8" Gobbler Hyper Bubble Gum (Bright Pink) that was our shot gun position was taken. Soon a Marlin was jumping for the sky, Russ was straight into it as it danced around the boat and in the process tangled the nearest lure before I could clear the deck. This present a problem with a marlin dancing around the boat and braid tangle around it each other. My knitting skills are not up to scratch and the we opted to cut the braid on either side of the main line so Russ could get the fish in. This all took about 5-10 minutes before the deck was cleared and I grabbed the Gopro. Here is a small clip of it jumping before unfortunately the 100lb leader broke. Russ did a great job angling the fish and sometimes the fish just win.  

The conditions were magic but the action was quite for us. We found plenty of bait and small tuna feeding but we could not raise a strike from anything really. We tried from 30-50m and then from 50-100m working the 100m line. We did see a boat on the 100m hooked up to a good fish but we didn't see the end result.

Feeling a little bad I asked Russ if he wanted to do some bait fishing because I found some nice reefs in the 70-80m range thinking we may get a nice pearlie. Not being prepared for bait fishing in that depth meant I didn't have sinker heavy enough, even with 3 on the line. The wind increased and turned to a Northerly and it started to chop up. I stopped by a Kingie spot on the way home, in the hope we could jag one. They were not willing to play so we headed for home. 

A quite but enjoyable day.

Russ bought a long a subway platter of assorted wraps, fruit salad and snack so we ate like Kings.

Thanks for joining me Russell and hopefully the next one will stay connected.

1 hour ago, Luvit said:

Yesterday has come and gone. Russell and I had a pleasant night sleep thanks to the calm conditions. We headed off early in anticipation of great things to come our way.

We started trolling bibbed lures in the hope of getting a mackerel of some kind but by 7.30am no interest shown so we headed out wider of the reefs to see if we could get a Marlin or Dolly.  After a while trolling and no hits I decided to slow down and change the lure spread and kept the motor in forward gear. This was blessing in disguise, as we were about to pull the lures in the 8" Gobbler Hyper Bubble Gum (Bright Pink) that was our shot gun position was taken. Soon a Marlin was jumping for the sky, Russ was straight into it as it danced around the boat and in the process tangled the nearest lure before I could clear the deck. This present a problem with a marlin dancing around the boat and braid tangle around it each other. My knitting skills are not up to scratch and the we opted to cut the braid on either side of the main line so Russ could get the fish in. This all took about 5-10 minutes before the deck was cleared and I grabbed the Gopro. Here is a small clip of it jumping before unfortunately the 100lb leader broke. Russ did a great job angling the fish and sometimes the fish just win.  

The conditions were magic but the action was quite for us. We found plenty of bait and small tuna feeding but we could not raise a strike from anything really. We tried from 30-50m and then from 50-100m working the 100m line. We did see a boat on the 100m hooked up to a good fish but we didn't see the end result.

Feeling a little bad I asked Russ if he wanted to do some bait fishing because I found some nice reefs in the 70-80m range thinking we may get a nice pearlie. Not being prepared for bait fishing in that depth meant I didn't have sinker heavy enough, even with 3 on the line. The wind increased and turned to a Northerly and it started to chop up. I stopped by a Kingie spot on the way home, in the hope we could jag one. They were not willing to play so we headed for home. 

A quite but enjoyable day.

Russ bought a long a subway platter of assorted wraps, fruit salad and snack so we ate like Kings.

Thanks for joining me Russell and hopefully the next one will stay connected.

Thanks a lot for the day Wayne. A great experience I'll remember for a long time. Just the chance to get out and learn some fishing and boating tips was worth it. Hooking a Marlin certainly took both of us by surprise. Shattered it busted off but we will get it next time.

If anyone else gets the opportunity to go out with Wayne you will love it. Great bloke, plenty of knowledge and great boat. Cant thank you enough Wayne!! Gotta get myself some Gobblers Lures now!!

Cheers Rusty!!

6 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

So glad you saw that marlin. That is some fantasitc footage getting the shot where it jumps!!!!

I am yet to see that. Hopefully this year. :)

Glad you had a great trip. Sorry you didn't catch a stack but I bet it was worth it. 

What sort of lure was the one that the marlin took? Was it on a soft plastic?

8" Gobbler Hyper Bubble Gum (Bright Pink)

19 hours ago, ellicat said:

Lovely day for it, Wayne. Glad you got out.

Judging from his recent posts, @Rus_tay would have been over the moon despite not landing it.

His target species has been Flathead and whiting in Victoria, so the variety up here is sure to get him excited.

18 hours ago, aussie123 said:

What a shame losing that Marlin but at least you got to see it and have some fun anyway.

Rus_tay will remember that for a very long time.

It was a beautiful day out there yesterday, we went out to the shelf for the day and it was just amazing conditions.

The best conditions I've fished in for a long time. How did you go, dare I ask?

17 hours ago, Rus_tay said:

Thanks a lot for the day Wayne. A great experience I'll remember for a long time. Just the chance to get out and learn some fishing and boating tips was worth it. Hooking a Marlin certainly took both of us by surprise. Shattered it busted off but we will get it next time.

If anyone else gets the opportunity to go out with Wayne you will love it. Great bloke, plenty of knowledge and great boat. Cant thank you enough Wayne!! Gotta get myself some Gobblers Lures now!!

Cheers Rusty!!

You're Welcome aboard Russell. I was quietly expecting a lot more fish action from the day, but that's fishing and level of experience I have at the moment. You angled the Marlin perfectly and looking back at the video the braid that was tangled on the main line made the drag sticky (not coming off smoothly when the leader broke) and could have contributed to the breakage and possibly a bit too much drag. Always learn from these experiences and be better prepared for the next time.

You can get the gobbler lures online or at Gobbler medium kits from Bayside Bait & Tackle Shop 4 - 127 Colburn Avenue, Victoria Point, Jones Tackle 692 Gympie Road Chermside shortly at FishHead also. I would buy a couple of packets for the style of fishing you intend on doing rather than spending all that money on a kit. That way a single packet is $10 and if you have success with them then buy more. Let me know if you want any advice on colors styles etc for the type of fishing you do. 

15 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Thanks. I am impressed that they are so versatile. 

@Luvit Do you like the kits they do or is it better to get individual lures?

For you Robbie having a boat and doing so many different forms of fishing a kit would be more economical. You can customize your colors or pick a signature kit. The signature kits are the colors the sponsored anglers have chosen after using them for their styles of fishing. The colors in my kit are for chasing pelagics inshore & offshore and they work on reef species too. If you need any help let me know.

36 minutes ago, Luvit said:

The best conditions I've fished in for a long time. How did you go, dare I ask?

We did well Wayne.

We had a really good lot of fish on board by about 10am and then the currents pushed in which made fishing it extremely hard.

We ended up moving to another area to try and jump ahead  the current and it was better but the fish there would not play the game.

Late arvo on the way home we checked out a new mark that we found last trip but did not fish so after seeing a good show on it, I re-rigged my rod and had a quick drop and hooked up straight away and we ended up pulling a few big fish off it which topped off the day superbly.

We left that patch biting so we could get back to the bar right on dark as we had a fair swell pushing in from out wide and a run out tide on the bar.

5 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

We did well Wayne.

We had a really good lot of fish on board by about 10am and then the currents pushed in which made fishing it extremely hard.

We ended up moving to another area to try and jump ahead  the current and it was better but the fish there would not play the game.

Late arvo on the way home we checked out a new mark that we found last trip but did not fish so after seeing a good show on it, I re-rigged my rod and had a quick drop and hooked up straight away and we ended up pulling a few big fish off it which topped off the day superbly.

We left that patch biting so we could get back to the bar right on dark as we had a fair swell pushing in from out wide and a run out tide on the bar.

It so good to find new ground and get a result.

We play in two different leagues. I'm happy with one good fish where you are happy with a boat load :flowers:

3 minutes ago, Luvit said:

It so good to find new ground and get a result.

We play in two different leagues. I'm happy with one good fish where you are happy with a boat load :flowers:

I do like my quieter trips like we did up at 1770 a few months ago when you guys decided to feed red emperor to the sharks :D and I also enjoy pulling fish all day and then packing them onto pallets when we get home,lol

30 minutes ago, Luvit said:

The signature kits are the colors the sponsored anglers have chosen after using them for their styles of fishing

Great thanks mate. I have never heard of towing plastics before. It has opened my eyes and I would like to try this more. Soooo much cheaper than large bibbed lures. 

2 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

I do like my quieter trips like we did up at 1770 a few months ago when you guys decided to feed red emperor to the sharks :D and I also enjoy pulling fish all day and then packing them onto pallets when we get home,lol

That was a great trip and if weather allows thinking of doing it again over 3&4th of March. It will be a decision made closer to the days and no accommodation as we will stay on the reef. Keep it mind if anyone is interested.

2 minutes ago, Luvit said:

That was a great trip and if weather allows thinking of doing it again over 3&4th of March. It will be a decision made closer to the days and no accommodation as we will stay on the reef. Keep it mind if anyone is interested.

That's what we do, we head up through the night and go wide for 3 days and then drive back home through the night again.

There is no need for accommodation and it makes for a cheap trip.

4 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Great thanks mate. I have never heard of towing plastics before. It has opened my eyes and I would like to try this more. Soooo much cheaper than large bibbed lures. 

Soft plastics are extremely versatile as you said and the larger one swim very well if rigged true. 

They can be used from the bottom to the surface and everything in between.

The thing I like is not to get locked into to any one style of fishing. I will use Soft plastics, micro to knife jigs, bibbed lures, skirt lures slugs and bait. It just depends on the conditions and fish being targeted. 

My gut say to always run skirt lures as first preference and a SP as the shot gun, however I'm thinking I should run a spread of Gobblers with a teaser for the day and see what the results are. Something else to experiment with. 

We were just lucky on this marlin because the SP sunk and the tail would have been wiggling on the way down before it was hit. This is an advantage over skirts that stop working at rest. The other thing is if you are trolling a spread of SP's and you go over some deeper bait you can slow the boat to nearly idle and let the plastics sink down 20 plus meters and then increase speed. 4-5 fish profiles darting from a school of bait are sure to gain some attention from the patrolling predators. 

Got to stop thinking about fishing and get to back to work.

Archived