Where Salt Meets Fresh... Bream And Bass.

Angus

Wicked dawn session today chasing bream and jacks on surface. Started scenic but slow with a half dozen little bream coming on board to say hi.

20180210_063534.jpg20180210_062845.jpg20180210_065130_002.jpg

Checked the pots soon after for one leg (luckily jennies are legal in NSW or it would have been a donut).

20180210_071707.jpg

After that a couple of legal bream. Man they fight dirty in this creek with snags and grass everywhere.

20180210_113305.jpg

20180210_113248.jpg

Then it got interesting...

Joel landed a cast right on a likely looking snag and CRACK CRACK two massive strikes with a solid jack getting out of the water. Sadly, but maybe lucky for Joel's 8lb leader and main line there was no hook up. 

Not 5 minutes later Joel dropped a donk of a bream as well. He was feeling a bit like things were not going to go his way when another cast at the same snag resulted in a big boof and hookup. A little fight later revealed Joel's first bass. To get your first bass on topwater and wild to boot... Happy.

20180210_081502.jpg

We paddled for a fair way after this with a few more little bream and suspected bass boof. On the way home I decided to have a cast at the bream bass snag and could not believe my luck when BOOF a big surface take and screaming drag. I was a bit worried as I was only running 6lb leader but after a hairy fight a smile lit my dial as this 44cm wild topwater bass was boated.

20180210_113334.jpg

After that things shut down with one more bream and a random crab that crawled into my pot despite having no bait.

20180210_102718.jpg20180210_095354.jpg

All in all an awesome morning and I am loving exploring this place.

Angus

Cheers.

I'm still getting used to the idea of freshwater fishing - especially in dirty fresh water !  In WA, the rivers are pretty non-existent around the city of Perth - except for the Swan.  Fishing for me was always in salt.  I can't bear to eat things not eating flesh in the sea...

42 minutes ago, swmcl said:

Cheers.

I'm still getting used to the idea of freshwater fishing - especially in dirty fresh water !  In WA, the rivers are pretty non-existent around the city of Perth - except for the Swan.  Fishing for me was always in salt.  I can't bear to eat things not eating flesh in the sea...

Bass all released to fight again. Crab... not so much :)

7 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Cracking report Angus. Note to self - That's how to do it and not spend 2 hours writing :)

Went out with Howler this morning. We got one muddy today, one small gar and about 20 tiny prawns. will do a quick report.

Don't get to stingy... your reports have definitely made me spend a bit more time. I did 4 reports this weekend. Probably a record for me. Next weekend I might do one big one (I hope). That gives me a good idea for a post. Stay tuned.

Archived