Hi From Toowoomba

swmcl

Hi all,

I'm a father of two teenagers who express a small but growing interest in fishing.  I've got some gear and some experience but rarely go fishing on my own.  Looking to get the kids interested in it more and expand the family outing experiences by getting a boat.  My daughter likes being towed on a floating object and my son likes the idea of getting a license on anything that is powered by petrol so I think a boat might be a start.  My wife is a non-starter on boats at this stage.

I'm new to fishing on the East Coast.  I come from WA.  Fishing in brown silty rivers seems all wrong but I'm coming around to the idea.  A number of species are new to me too (like yellowbelly).

I hope to attend a social or two and to perhaps hire someone to aid in helping my son to catch his first fish !

Cheers,

Steve

Welcome mate. We normally have a few camping weekends (with our boats) over the course of the year which would be a good way to meet some of the folk on here. I haven't been to the Winter Camp (Maroon or Moogerah Dam - can't remember which) but keep an eye out for it as it would be a great weekend for you to pick up some tips on bass and other freshwater species, as well as get some advice on different waterways/spots to try.

On 2/10/2018 at 3:06 PM, swmcl said:

Hi all,

I'm a father of two teenagers who express a small but growing interest in fishing.  I've got some gear and some experience but rarely go fishing on my own.  Looking to get the kids interested in it more and expand the family outing experiences by getting a boat.  My daughter likes being towed on a floating object and my son likes the idea of getting a license on anything that is powered by petrol so I think a boat might be a start.  My wife is a non-starter on boats at this stage.

I'm new to fishing on the East Coast.  I come from WA.  Fishing in brown silty rivers seems all wrong but I'm coming around to the idea.  A number of species are new to me too (like yellowbelly).

I hope to attend a social or two and to perhaps hire someone to aid in helping my son to catch his first fish !

Cheers,

Steve

Gday  Steve,

Socials are fantastic as you will meet lots of keen anglers and get the chance to get some decky spots before you buy a boat if you want to work out what you want to buy.

There are heaps of fishing opportunities near you. I got my first Yella (yellow belly) late last year when I took up a decky spot at North Pine Dam. I hope you can snap one up :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived