Quick Crab Grab

Drop Bear

I love to go fishing with friends and family. 

We set alarms early to fish the high tide and headed to the Whyte Island Boat Ramp at fisherman's island. Mrs Drop Bear, Junior #2 Drop Bear and Howler. 

20180211_052746.thumb.jpg.4077d48754feb6549994a5cf9b88eb92.jpg

It was supposed to be a 2.1 or something meter high at 7am ish but was much lower than this. Did any one else experience this today? Does it go wrong quite often?

You can see in the background of this next shot where the normal high tide is and although we were there a bit early it didn't get much higher than what you can see in this photo. 

20180211_053339.thumb.jpg.3ccdc86fe2de713d0cb42c5e3a59ae31.jpg

The wind was a bit crappy with about 10-15 northerly so the bay was yucky in my 5m open tinny. The creeks were our option as it was really nice. We put the pots in about an hour before high in some skinny creeks I have found not far from home. Look how tidy my boat is when I go crabbing... :whistle: not

20180211_053353.thumb.jpg.7578353facbdffdd3ffc6739e08c0280.jpg

Do you recognize any pots there @Angus?:whistle:   :angel: thanks :flowers:

I had run out of floats and because we were only leaving them for about 2-3 hours made do with some properly marked milk bottles. These worked fine but would never use them if fishing for longer than that or if I was in an area where there was some fast tidal movement or choppy water. 

20180211_055256.thumb.jpg.a001665a4ec97f8833d13a564f7c7d73.jpg

We then fished for gar with floats and a little bit of prawn. I have seen the gar thick here before but only the little ones turned up today. Hundreds of them ravenously ate all the burly that we chucked at them but really were too small to catch. Even if we were to have caught them they would not be big enough to eat. One cast net would have gotten some nice baits but I only had my big one and there were lots of snags. 

We finished the fishing and pulled in 9 of the 12 pots with only one nice bug ugly (but sadly 1 clawed) buck. No Jennies and no under sized crabs. 

As we tried to get the last 3 pots we realised that the water had gone out too far and couldn't get back to them. It was barely 2 hours past high and it surprised me at how low the water was. So we had to leave them for another day. I know where they are and will get them next trip. If anyone is keen to go grab them and take any crabs out of them I can PM you the location. Its not far from the ramp or hard to find but you would need a very small tinny and be not too worried about little dints in your prop... :pirate:

We had a 12 foot top pocket cast net with us and there were millions of small prawns skipping on the surface. We were only in about 2 or 3 foot of water so it was totally the wrong net but had a go any way. We watched hundreds of little prawns jump out through the net weave but quite a few got stuck enough to get them in. I love little prawns. Fried hot and hard in a combo of butter rice bran oil and garlic. yumm. I did nothing to them this time but they are even better if you dust them with seasoned and spiced corn flower or some similar flower. We put on lots of salt and white pepper then eat the whole thing. Crispy and good. They take about 1m to cook. You just have to watch the spike on the front of the head. I just break this off or crunch it first. 

20180211_120601.thumb.jpg.0e9851c7462169719e89566fbcab6fec.jpg

I want to go and buy a cheap 8 foot bottom pocket net for this and have it ready in the boat for next time. Any tips on what one to buy? Is there a small weave version? It probably wouldn't matter as if you pulled them in fast enough they would stay in long enough. 

Will these prawns grow up to be big ones in March? Not telling where they were :)

The live bait tank kept them fresh until we got back. After a few fruitless swipes with the aquarium net to try and get them out I realized I would have to drain it first. I was worried that they would get sucked out the bottom but put the net under the outflow pipe and all was good :)

So a bit quieter than we had hoped but the muddy was as full as a QLD politicians wallet and made a great and delicious lunch of prawn and mud crab.

Poor us poor us... :lol::D

Oh and sorry for no photo of the crab... perhaps we didn't catch it after all? POIDH?

DB

Archived